No announcement yet.

2011–20: A Decade to Remember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best part of my second-favorite basketball game ever in Omaha was watching Wookie and Son of Wookie blow up at each other during a Creighton timeout.

As Gregg once said, “not only did we win decisively, but we also put strife in the McDermott household.”
    78-65

Comment

There's definitely a lot of great memories from the past decade, but the entire 2014-2015 season was probably the pinnacle for me. My friend was still going to grad school at the time and would do the student ticket pickup, so we had a standing pregame ritual and went to every home game that year. We were there for Dickie V's visit for the Alabama game, we were there for Fred's triple double against Missouri State, and we were there for ESPN Game Day vs Northern Iowa - to add to that already surreal experience I even crossed paths with Stephen A Smith when I went to take a wiz before the broadcast started. Then of course, the icing on the cake: a Sweet 16, with bonus points for it being at KWho's expense.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
        The best part of my second-favorite basketball game ever in Omaha was watching Wookie and Son of Wookie blow up at each other during a Creighton timeout.

As Gregg once said, “not only did we win decisively, but we also put strife in the McDermott household.”
        I also remember how Ben Smith was talking smack to other WSU players after the game and telling them, "I don't know why you all are complaining about how hard and difficult it is to beat Creighton in Omaha, I'm undefeated."

Comment

February 18, 2012 - Wichita State at Davidson
          It's ESPN Bracketbuster time and the Shockers are 23-4 and have climbed to #24 in the AP Poll rankings. I remember there being a lot of complaining about the Bracketbuster game concept, but i always liked them for WSU. We got a good opponent that year and then the return game within the next two years. We would get good TV Exposure and perhaps we could use our game and win? as a springboard like VCU had done the year before when they made the the 2011 Final Four after getting their bing win against WSU.

Who remembers the pope and the lobster at the game? Those students were jacked and ready to support their team. Not a vacant seat in the arena. What could possible go wrong?

Comment

February 22, 2012 - Wichita State at Illinois State
            The No. 19 Shockers entered the game having already clinched at least a share of the league title, but a victory guaranteed they would become solo regular-season champions for the first time since 2006.

Gregg Marshall would get to his #300 victory if we could win on the road. Lets go see...

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
              February 18, 2012 - Wichita State at Davidson
              It's ESPN Bracketbuster time and the Shockers are 23-4 and have climbed to #24 in the AP Poll rankings. I remember there being a lot of complaining about the Bracketbuster game concept, but i always liked them for WSU. We got a good opponent that year and then the return game within the next two years. We would get good TV Exposure and perhaps we could use our game and win? as a springboard like VCU had done the year before when they made the the 2011 Final Four after getting their bing win against WSU.

Who remembers the pope and the lobster at the game? Those students were jacked and ready to support their team. Not a vacant seat in the arena. What could possible go wrong?

Loved these jerseys

Comment

February 25, 2012 - Drake at Wichita State (Senior Day)
                Well, this was it. Shocker seniors David Kyles, Joe Ragland, Toure' Murry, Ben Smith, and Garrett Stutz knew this would be their final home game at Charles Koch Arena. The #19 ranked Shockers wouldn't disappoint us. Wichita State improved to 26-4 overall this season and 16-2 in Valley play. The Shockers won their eighth-straight game and finished 15-1 at home this season. The Shockers also won for the 16th time in the last 17 games. After the game, the Shockers celebrated the MVC regular-season title, the first since 2006, by taking turns cutting down the nets at Charles Koch Arena.

This is one of my all-time favorite homemade videos:

Again, David, Joe, Toure' , Ben, and Garrett: Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                  February 25, 2012 - Drake at Wichita State (Senior Day)
                  Well, this was it. Shocker seniors David Kyles, Joe Ragland, Toure' Murry, Ben Smith, and Garrett Stutz knew this would be their final home game at Charles Koch Arena. The #19 ranked Shockers wouldn't disappoint us. Wichita State improved to 26-4 overall this season and 16-2 in Valley play. The Shockers won their eighth-straight game and finished 15-1 at home this season. The Shockers also won for the 16th time in the last 17 games. After the game, the Shockers celebrated the MVC regular-season title, the first since 2006, by taking turns cutting down the nets at Charles Koch Arena.

This is one of my all-time favorite homemade videos:

Again, David, Joe, Toure' , Ben, and Garrett: Thank you!
                  Excellent choice of music... great work!
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

March 11, 2012 - Selection Sunday
                    Well things didn't turn out as we had hope at Arch Madness in Saint Louis, Missouri, but how far would our AP #16 ranking take us? Let's go see:

2012 Selection Show Reveal.JPG

and what was our reaction?

Last edited by WuShock Reaper; March 24, 2020, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Wednesday, 03/25/20 - 2012–13 Season

2012 Wichita State Men's Basketball Team Open

The Defending champion Wichita State had been picked fourth in the Missouri Valley Conference preseason poll of league coaches, sports information directors and media, Seems about fair as we just lost five seniors from a #5-seed NCAA Tourney Team from last season, so these guys got a lot to prove! Who are they: Carl Hall, Chadrack Lufile, Cleanthony Early, Demetric Williams, Derail Green, Ehimen Orukpe, Evan Wessel, Fred VanVleet, Jake White, Kadeem Coleby, Malcolm Armstead, Nick Wiggins, Ron Baker, Tekele Cotton, and Zach Bush

Comment

You've captured some great memories over the years...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Oh and don’t forget, WSU was going to be on the MVC Network for two televised games this season, just wow, and get this, WSU was going to be on the ESPN Family Network for seven games. SEVEN GAMES! Like on ESPN3. We have hit the big time baby.

November 13, 2012 - Wichita State at VCU
                          Oh! Not these guys again. Wichita State has suffered two excruciating losses to these Rams in the last two years by a total of 4 points...on last second shots. This is not going to be easy,,,

Comment

January 19, 2013 vs #12 Creighton
                            Wichita State (16-2, 5-1) was on a pretty good roll. Up next were the one loss Creighton’s and their #12 AP national ranking against our unranked Shockers. Coach Marshall was really up for this game. It was going to be a "Blackout" and he needed everyone on the wall...

"Down by three points, the Bluejays needed to sink a buzzer-beater to send the game to overtime. They took the shot and Wichita coach Gregg Marshall did a little dance:

Creighton missed. Chalk up another one to body English. Probably the little kick was what did it. David Lee Roth would be so proud. Also make sure to keep your eye on the unmoving bald guy in the crowd. Classic." SB Nation - By Bill Hanstock, Jan 19, 2013, 6:35pm EST

Comment

January 28, 2013
                              Over the next roughly 10 days, WSU would claim two more victories and be 19-2, 8-1 MVC. The AP Voters would now rank them #15th in the country.
                              Could…not…get…any…better…

January 29 thru February 5, 2013
                              DISASTER STRIKES THE SEASON!
                              Loss vs Indiana State
                              Loss at Northern Iowa
                              Loss at Southern Illinois

The Shockers lose 3-in-a-row and drop out of the AP Rankings completely. What now? Could the season be saved?

Personal Note: It would also be during this time, my life would be radically changed. As a result of these events, I would not watch/see/listen/or read about another Shocker game for the remainder of the 2012-13 season. I would occasionally see a score now and then, so I wasn't completely in the dark, but to say that I have my own memories of this time would not be true. If not for the internet and the postings by press outlets and other social media sources I wouldn't have anything to go by, so I am very grateful for them being available.

Comment

February 9 thru March 10, 2013 (Arch Madness)
                                The shockers would go 7-3 during this time and end up losing in the Championship game of the MVC Tourney.

Not sure if this is the most memorable game during this time, so someone correct me if I have gotten it wrong?

Wichita State at Illinois State February 17, 2013
                                Everybody was "Kung Fu Fighting"

Cleanthony Early - Boom!

DEFENSE! DEFENSE! DEFENSE!

Comment

Working...
                                X