Former Shocker PJ Couisnard Believes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Shocker PJ Couisnard Believes

mass transfers like at WSU will become the norm.

P.J. Couisnard has a unique perspective to offer when discussing the five Wichita State men’s basketball scholarship players who’ve decided to transfer since the end of the season. For starters, Couisnard has experience playing for WSU coach Gregg Marshall. But what makes Couisnard’s opinion relevant about the current state of the program is that he understands the rapidly changing landscape of college basketball as a coach and owner of a successful AAU program, Cooz Elite, that he operates out of his hometown of Houston.

With the NCAA trending toward a decision to allow a free pass for first-time transfers beginning next season, Couisnard believes situations like the one this offseason at Wichita State, where even players who played significant minutes have decided to leave, will become the new norm in college basketball.

“I was just talking to my coaching staff last week and telling them that with the new transfer rules, college basketball is about to be like AAU,” Couisnard said.

“In the AAU world, you tell a kid that he’s not starting because he missed practice and that kid will be on a different team by the end of the day. Parents will ask you if their kid will start before they ask you how good the team is. It’s almost like basketball is not even a team sport anymore. Everybody is there for their own individual gain.”

“It was a problem you could almost foresee coming,” Couisnard said. “You figured that a couple of them were eventually going to leave just because they were all so young playing the same positions. I honestly think we were just too deep. We had 10 really, really good players and a lot of them played the same position and did a lot of the same things. Some people were going to start, some people were going to come off the bench. The way it is now, kids feel like if they want to have careers after this then they’ve got to be on the floor.”

I actually hope PJ is wrong especially the two comments about college basketball turning into the AAU and its like basketball is not even a team sport anymore.

If that is what college basketball devolves into I will very hard pressed to stay interested in it.

Comment

Marshall is a hardass. It’s hard to find hardass players any more.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Class balance... You don't load up on lots of freshmen in consecutive years...

Comment

Just curious, I don't know if there's a way to relocate the info....
          But what were the rankings like for some of GM's early players at WSU?

Armstead? Wiggins? Lufile? Baker? Cotton? Other role players? Were they highly touted or did they just buy into the system and then come out swinging.

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
            Just curious, I don't know if there's a way to relocate the info....
            But what were the rankings like for some of GM's early players at WSU?

Armstead? Wiggins? Lufile? Baker? Cotton? Other role players? Were they highly touted or did they just buy into the system and then come out swinging.

Armstead Held several records when he transferred from Oregon. Wiggins and Lufile were not highly sought after, especially CJ. Baker was a 0 star but there were already whispers of his legend. Cotton was a 2 star, iirc.

edit: cotton was a three star
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Tekele Cotton?

I remember his announcement well.

“Who?”

“What the hell!”

”That’s the best we can do?”

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                  Tekele Cotton?

“Who?”

“What the hell!”

So what are the prevailing opinions or preferences on SN?

5*? 4*? 3*? 2*?

Is it not better for a 2* to come in, put in the work and then flourish under the team concept? If the 3 or 4 star guy needs to look in the mirror every hour, flex, check his instagram, or send out a tweet every time he makes a layup or blocks a shot, well, I guess I'd rather just have the hard working guy everytime.

Comment

5*? 4*? 3*? 2*?

Is it not better for a 2* to come in, put in the work and then flourish under the team concept? If the 3 or 4 star guy needs to look in the mirror every hour, flex, check his instagram, or send out a tweet every time he makes a layup or blocks a shot, well, I guess I'd rather just have the hard working guy everytime.
                    According to HCGM, TE is the hardest working freshman he has had. TE was a 4 star.

I already felt we were under-athleticized on many nights in the AAC so generally I would not like going back to 2 stars.

but when nearly half the team leaves in a week, you gotta do what you gotta do. If we get some, hopefully they were under-ranked, offended, and come in here with a chip on their shoulder

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Armstead Held several records when he transferred from Oregon. Wiggins and Lufile were not highly sought after, especially CJ. Baker was a 0 star but there were already whispers of his legend. Cotton was a 2 star, iirc.

edit: cotton was a three star
                      But was Cotton a 2 star, signed, and then automatically bumped up to 3 star?

Comment

But was Cotton a 2 star, signed, and then automatically bumped up to 3 star?
                        That could be. I seem to remember him being almost a one star before having a good summer.

Comment

5*? 4*? 3*? 2*?

There is no correlation between any of those things and not being a hard worker.

Comment

Tekele Cotton?

“Who?”

“What the hell!”

You are totally correct. I remember trying to figure out why we (the shockers) signed Cotton. That was until I saw him in summer pickup games. His man did not score. He did not turn it over. And he scored when he had a chance. He was athletic. Cotton was a 2 star player. I think he barely averaged 10 points a game. But Marshall loved him and wanted him. Marshall saw what we didn't see. We need to get back to finding these kinds of players. Players that want something more than what they can personally get.

The current team had too many egomaniacs that care only about themselves and not the team. And I am not saying that Coach did not make some mistakes too. He did and has admitted so. But the shocks just need to move on. Fuk all the chickenhawks and mildkitten trolls and lets find some new players with the RIGHT ATTITUDE.

Comment

Tekele Cotton?

“Who?”

“What the hell!”

... next...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                              X