2020-21 Annual "Transfer" Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

While that is of course true. I was speaking more to the fact that for perception of the program, which is important, we need some incoming announcements to portray that, everything is under control, that the wheels are not coming off.
    I’m sorry, but I don’t really care what the perception of the program is right now. What difference does it make? We’re going to sign X number of guys to replace the transfers. By the time the season starts again most people will have forgotten or moved on to the next thing. If we’re good it will be “wow, look at the turnover and they’re still winning.”. If we’re bad people will probably not bother to talk about us at all.

A bunch of guys transferred two weeks ago. Losing Mitgaard sucks cause I liked the kid but him being the straw the broke the camels back seems a little disingenuous.

I’m sorry, I’m just not going to lose my mind over this. There are others doing a great job of that and that’s fine!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
      I think Marshall is just sandbagging for another coach of the year award.

Serious question. Do you think we would have had this many transfers is Erik Stevenson was never a part of this team?
      It’s a good question. A malcontent with charisma can do a lot of damage to an organization

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

Was that the interview where JB’s family members called Marshall’s explorations incorrect?
        If that was an article I must have missed it. Do you mean their twitter comments? Or if not please link the article.

In the article I read Marshall didn’t run through each specific player and explain why they left. Not sure what comments they would be responding to because he never mentioned Jamarius.

Comment

• Some people want a statement made ... but they don't actually want a statement made. They just want Marshall to say what they want them to hear so they can say they were right and Marshall is just an ahole. No statement is going to make everyone happy. So not sure why they would waste time doing it. Are people really going to stop coming to games because of this? Even if Marshall puts a great team on the floor next year? No, they will still be there.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post

the interview was **** and you know it.
            lol this is case in point of why the interview was pointless.

People like you who, for whatever reason, don’t like Marshall, think he’s a bad coach, evil man, etc. were never going to accept his comments. Your mind was made up long ago no matter what he said.

Comment

• My (near worthless) take: AM was a great guy, a great addition to the locker room, but a project. We all had high hopes, but he wasn't starter material his So year. He provided some hope during the NIT run and we all thought we would see that AM his Jr year. Alas, he didn't develop. Now he has a possibility to find more minutes (read: get a job after school playing pro ball) without having to sit a year. I hope he does well.
              IF he were upset with coaching, or coaching staff, I think he would've left with the others. The fact that he waited suggests to me he wanted to evaluate where he was going after college and decided that staying for his Sr year wasn't going to help him accomplish this.
              Good luck to him!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                Some people want a statement made ... but they don't actually want a statement made. They just want Marshall to say what they want them to hear so they can say they were right and Marshall is just an ahole. No statement is going to make everyone happy. So not sure why they would waste time doing it. Are people really going to stop coming to games because of this? Even if Marshall puts a great team on the floor next year? No, they will still be there.
                You know who else they say was an a**hole? Steve Jobs.

I bet 90%+ of those Marshall haters still use Apple products though.
                The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

You know who else they say was an a**hole? Steve Jobs.

I bet 90%+ of those Marshall haters still use Apple products though.
                  Marshall was probably a worse ahole while we were going to the Final Four, and going undefeated and going to sweet 16s and putting multiple players in the NBA. These players knew what they were signing up for.

If the transfer rule passes, Marshall definitely will need to adjust .. but nothing we can do about it now. Him coming out and saying he was too mean or something will only make things worse at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                    My (near worthless) take: AM was a great guy, a great addition to the locker room, but a project. We all had high hopes, but he wasn't starter material his So year. He provided some hope during the NIT run and we all thought we would see that AM his Jr year. Alas, he didn't develop. Now he has a possibility to find more minutes (read: get a job after school playing pro ball) without having to sit a year. I hope he does well.
                    IF he were upset with coaching, or coaching staff, I think he would've left with the others. The fact that he waited suggests to me he wanted to evaluate where he was going after college and decided that staying for his Sr year wasn't going to help him accomplish this.
                    Good luck to him!
                    For reference .. he was not injured this year and averaged 3.3 minutes per game in the 18 conference games. There were a lot of bad transfers this year .. this one makes sense to me. I like him as a guy, but if he was our primary big, we would have no inside game next year.

Comment

• I also think it's weird how a lot of people thought this team "wasn't good enough" or "didn't have the horses to compete with top AAC teams", but now people are upset when those players leave.

Just need some good news on players that want to come in. That will settle the tide.
                      The Assman

Comment

• Bottom Line. This is not a good look for Wichita State University. Period.

HCGM has got some ‘splainin’ to do on why they’re leaving or why he’s doing such a crappy job recruiting the wrong types of players. All that wasted energy, emotional support, and time down the drain.

i thought he “loved coaching this bunch.”

Damn.... we’re losing God Bear.
                        Is Dex next?

Come on Coach... WTF is going on???? You have an assistant coach acting inappropriately or something?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                          Are people really going to stop coming to games because of this? Even if Marshall puts a great team on the floor next year? No, they will still be there.
                          When you take for granted your fan base, sometime you may be in for rude awakening. Next year attendance will probably depend on several things:

1. Economy - lot of layoffs and furloughs in town. With the uncertainty going on it may be hard for some to renew SASO and season tickets.
                          2. Quality of Schedule - we saw what a soft non-conference did to attendance last year. If WSU schedule teams that people want to see they will show up.
                          3. Quality of Product on Floor - Taking 1 & 2 into account, you add in a perception that program going on another couple of years of rebuilding, this might have some affect on attendance. The program just went thru 2 years of rebuilding and were being told "next year is it". Now - not so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                            I also think it's weird how a lot of people thought this team "wasn't good enough" or "didn't have the horses to compete with top AAC teams", but now people are upset when those players leave.

Just need some good news on players that want to come in. That will settle the tide.
                            It was a young team. Is he going to start over every two years. Endless revolving door. He needs to speak up.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

When you take for granted your fan base, sometime you may be in for rude awakening. Next year attendance will probably depend on several things:

1. Economy - lot of layoffs and furloughs in town. With the uncertainty going on it may be hard for some to renew SASO and season tickets.
                              2. Quality of Schedule - we saw what a soft non-conference did to attendance last year. If WSU schedule teams that people want to see they will show up.
                              3. Quality of Product on Floor - Taking 1 & 2 into account, you add in a perception that program going on another couple of years of rebuilding, this might have some affect on attendance. The program just went thru 2 years of rebuilding and were being told "next year is it". Now - not so much.
                              1 will be the primary driver at all Sporting events this year. 3 will have very little effect as we have no idea how good the team will be. They just had a 23 win season without being able to play any postseason games. If people are jumping ship after that, they are just looking for a reason to save money and blame it on something else.

There is also no statement he can put out that won't be viewed negatively. If people want him to admit he was too mean and ran them off, that will be national story and recruiting will be killed. If he blames the players, recruiting will be killed. The statement he put out about class structure and having too many good players in the same positions and classes is basically the only way you can put a statement out that doesn't have a major negative effect on recruiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post

It was a young team. Is he going to start over every two years. Endless revolving door. He needs to speak up.
                                Yeah of course that’s what he’s going to do. Haven’t you seen the last 13 years at WSU and his prior stint at Winthrop. He’s constantly trying to churn the roster over with 7-8 new players every year. It’s been his mode of operation. In fact the number of times I’ve heard him say, “We’ve built a successful program by getting young and staying young, and that’s what we want to get back to.”

Go read the kansas.com article.

Comment

Working...
                                X