• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
    NBA won’t be suspended for long.

Just need to find out who else has it.
    And that won't happen overnight

Comment

• Location of the big 10 tourney where Hoiberg was at

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
        The problem I see with this isn't necessarily the virus (or those who get it) itself, but the burden it will put on the healthcare system, which will result in people who need care for other things not being able to get it. For that reason I think it's our responsibility to do what we can to minimize the spread.
        Proper take. This does have the ability to overwhelm our hospitals. Bite the bullet now.
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

You do realize that there is actually a flu vaccine right? This year they put out 170 million doses.

and it sorta works

Comment

• My question is, where does it stop? There are billions of places where people congregate that could be infected. Grocery stores, churches, banks, anywhere, etc. I get the whole mitigate as much as possible, but realistically where does it stop?

The only way to truly stop the spread of this is to shut down EVERYTHING for 2 weeks. Otherwise, you aren't gonna stop it.

I think the best course of action would be all the high risk individuals just stay home for a while. It'll eventually pass. China's case rate and death rate have essentially bottomed out. They're already talking about starting up some sporting events there in a couple weeks.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• When does this head to international court for reparations from China? International tribunals happen all the time. Is there a precedent for something like this?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                My question is, where does it stop? There are billions of places where people congregate that could be infected. Grocery stores, churches, banks, anywhere, etc. I get the whole mitigate as much as possible, but realistically where does it stop?

The only way to truly stop the spread of this is to shut down EVERYTHING for 2 weeks. Otherwise, you aren't gonna stop it.

I think the best course of action would be all the high risk individuals just stay home for a while. It'll eventually pass. China's case rate and death rate have essentially bottomed out. They're already talking about starting up some sporting events there in a couple weeks.
                Didn’t China slow it by shutting everything down for two weeks?
                The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post

Didn’t China slow it by shutting everything down for two weeks?
                  So is that a realistic plan/scenario?
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Nm
                    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Hoiberg had influenza. Not Corona.
                      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                        Hoiberg had influenza. Not Corona.
                        That will teach him not to get a flu shot.

Comment

• Precautions aren't just for the next few months. Viruses don't simply die and get magically replacing in the winter. If this is simply a much more lethal flu, we don't want it being the predominant strain for years to come. Right now the issue is the potential spread, the lack of vaccines and cures, and our relatively worse response. But there are 9 million people over 80 in the US, the primary group affected, and it would be catastrophic if the flu becomes even more lethal to them. H1N1 is still around, and this will be too.

The stats I've seen are that roughly 35% of senior citizen deaths are from heart failure, and 5.5% infectious diseases. Coronavirus is considered significantly worse than the flu, but that underestimates how much worse it is for the elderly. 6 million senior citizens get the flu each year here, and only 50,000 of those die. 1%. In China, confirmed cases killed up to 20% of the octogenarians and 8% of 60+. If that becomes the norm, we are talking about the elderly being as likely to die from flu season as cancer or heart attack. Far better for this to stay isolated and hopefully rare in years to come.

Comment

• What's the typical age of the blue hairs that go to Shocker games - and buy tickets to NCAA tourney games? The greatest danger in a disease is if it mildly affects some of the population and kills other portions of the population. Those who are mildly affected spread the disease to those who are vulnerable.

It's been reported that 80% of cases are mild. Those mild cases have an incredible ability for those patients to spread the virus to their parents or grandparents, who are much more likely to be severely affected and potentially die.

This isn't just a media scare. This is somewhat like Typhoid Mary. Reasonably healthy people are able to spread a disease that kills others.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Bit of a stretch, but...Sure would be nice if the NCAA would grant any senior student-athlete whose team would make the NCAA tournament, an extra year of eligibility that wouldn’t apply to his/her teams scholarship limit.

Give those kids a possible opportunity to play for what they really want to play for (see Jamie), in front of crowds-while getting to enjoy the full spectacle of the NCAA tournament.

Comment

• I suspect one's opinion of the precautions and one's political views align pretty closely

Comment

Working...
                                X