No announcement yet.

March Mad and corona virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not saying the data is flawed or bias, but I will say that the media is contorting the data to fit an agenda and it is very clear. If you don't see this then you don't have a modicum of common sense. This virus is being used to stir up the American anxiety complex and get people to tune in. The ACTUAL death rate is extremely low and the ACTUAL chances of being severely affected by this for the healthy individual is very low.

One statistic I know of that I don't see being reported on, at least here in San Diego is that half of the deaths have been in nursing homes! That is very sad as these are people who are at the end of their lives and likely have families who are not able to see them to even say goodbye. However, this has very little impact or poses very little threat to healthy people outside of the nursing homes.

Also, I found it very ironic when watching CNN last night as they were questioning, chastising, and shaking their heads at the female Dr. on the task force for more people at the White House not wearing masks and then they cut to one of their reporters in the middle of times square reporting...without a mask on.

I feel for those who are at a higher risk and have to take extra precautions, but this is the vast minority in the country. We need to seriously consider the long-term impact this forced shutdown will have on the country and if that means opening things up for those who are healthy and low risk, then so be it. As Atx pointed out, you can't force it on the entire country when we now know what section of the population is at higher risk.

Comment

Looking at national numbers is not relevant to Kansas. The New York area had many issues we will never have here. Look at the KDHE site for Corona virus. Statewide deaths are 147. Median age of death is 81. Youngest person to die is 42. Oldest person is 99. There have been 6 people under 55 die in Kansas. 87% of deaths are 65 and over. Since we don't know how many people have been infected because of lack of symptoms in most people it is best to figure death rate on total population. Right now our death rate is 147 divided by 2,900,000 (Kansas population) or .00005 chance of dying, or 1 person in 19,727. If you are under 55 it is 1 in 483,333. Americans are smart enough to understand if they are in a high risk group. If they are they should take appropriate measures to avoid catching the virus. Shelter in place is good for people who need to do so.
      I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

Shelter in place for at risk groups will not most likely be allowed when people are called back to work. You either come out and go back to work so you can get the virus or you stay on home and give up unemployment and slowly starve to death. lol

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHillShocker View Post
          Why is this in the Basketball forum?
          Aargh.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

ROFLMAO. Data is biased. That's a new one.

I invite you to to demonstrate that any data I presented is dependent on some agenda.

We're going to reopen businesses and the economy, but it's not likely to be pretty. We're going to get used to (and accept) deaths as the price we have to pay. We're going to be fighting this thing for a long, long time unless we get a miracle out of the medical and scientific communities.

We're likely to have a basketball season. Even with every measure taken to protect players, we're likely to see some mortality among D1 players. Instead of 10K in CKA being a selllout, 1,500 might be the maximum capacity.

We're going to have to be ready (and able) to adjust to a new reality. We're in the process of adapting to a new definition of "an acceptable number of deaths".
            Are you really in the state to be able to roll around the floor and laugh?

The data is biased because of how deaths (especially in NY) are being reported. A lot of people are dying of a lot of other things but are being counted as covid deaths. There's also a large segment of people that died that likely would have died by the flu or some other medical condition regardless and covid simply sped up the process. Is that good or am I happy about that? No. Am I happy that this virus is killing people? No. But is there the possibility that there's some shady stuff going on? Especially with money and control on the line? You better believe it is.

"long, long time unless there's a miracle" and "mortality among D1 players" aren't even worth laughing at they're so far off the rocker.

You are one of many who are lapping up what the media and government is feeding you. I would go looking for some other kind of food if I were you.
            Last edited by ShockerFever; May 8, 2020, 11:21 AM.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Are you really in the state to be able to roll around the floor and laugh?

The data is biased because of how deaths (especially in NY) are being reported. A lot of people are dying of a lot of other things but are being counted as covid deaths. There's also a large segment of people that died that likely would have died by the flu or some other medical condition regardless and covid simply sped up the process. Is that good or am I happy about that? No. Am I happy that this virus is killing people? No. But is there the possibility that there's some shady stuff going on? Especially with money and control on the line? You better believe it is.

"long, long time unless there's a miracle" and "mortality among D1 players" aren't even worth laughing at they're so far off the rocker.

You are one of many who are lapping up what the media and government is feeding you. I would go looking for some other kind of food if I were you.
              This is a very good point. There are deaths being counted as Covid related that aren't necessarily related to the virus. I have read of doctors who have mentioned that they are being pressured to show deaths as Covid related on death certificates. That my friends will make data bias.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodrow View Post
                Looking at national numbers is not relevant to Kansas. The New York area had many issues we will never have here. Look at the KDHE site for Corona virus. Statewide deaths are 147. Median age of death is 81. Youngest person to die is 42. Oldest person is 99. There have been 6 people under 55 die in Kansas. 87% of deaths are 65 and over. Since we don't know how many people have been infected because of lack of symptoms in most people it is best to figure death rate on total population. Right now our death rate is 147 divided by 2,900,000 (Kansas population) or .00005 chance of dying, or 1 person in 19,727. If you are under 55 it is 1 in 483,333. Americans are smart enough to understand if they are in a high risk group. If they are they should take appropriate measures to avoid catching the virus. Shelter in place is good for people who need to do so.
                I haven't checked out all of the stats yet. Friends of this lady say she passed from covid-19 which would make her the youngest in the state.

Celebrate the life of Nicole Garcia-Rodriguez, leave a kind word or memory and get funeral service information care of Advantage Funeral & Cremation Services - Wichita.
                Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

The conspiracy theory that covid deaths are being over reported has largely been debunked by fact checkers.

And I don't get the argument that if someone would have died of something else instead of covid, then they didn't die of covid. Makes no sense. If I die in a car wreck on my way to the hospital after being shot, did I not die in a car wreck??? If I get pneumonia and die while I'm undergoing cancer treatment, did I not die of pneumonia???

There is bending of data and common sense to fit narratives on both sides of this debate. Truth lay somewhere in the middle.
                  "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post

I haven't checked out all of the stats yet. Friends of this lady say she passed from covid-19 which would make her the youngest in the state.

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obit...riguez-9173788
                    The information was off the KDHE website as of that day. Today it shows the youngest being 36. 152 total deaths. Median age is 82. 97% of all deaths are 55 and over. It does not show what other health issues might have also been present.
                    I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                      The conspiracy theory that covid deaths are being over reported has largely been debunked by fact checkers.

And I don't get the argument that if someone would have died of something else instead of covid, then they didn't die of covid. Makes no sense. If I die in a car wreck on my way to the hospital after being shot, did I not die in a car wreck??? If I get pneumonia and die while I'm undergoing cancer treatment, did I not die of pneumonia???

There is bending of data and common sense to fit narratives on both sides of this debate. Truth lay somewhere in the middle.
                      In Barton county, the #2 confirmed case died Thursday. The week before, the county helath officials reported that all nine of confirmed cases in the county were no longer "active." This 90-year-old apparently fell and incurred blood clots. Since she had had covid earlier and since some covid patients have had blood clots, the conclusion was she died from covid. Perhaps not the fall she had didn't enter into the conclusion. The trend, Active case, non-active for 9 days, death and it's covid.
                      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                      ---------------------------------------
                      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

75 people die in Kansas every day, pre COVID19.

Comment

MAC curtails basketball schedules, eliminates conference tournaments in other sports - ESPN

Andrea Adelson, Senior Writer
                          May 12, 2020, 6:51 PM CT

In an effort to stem the financial fallout from the coronavirus pandemic, the Mid-American Conference announced Tuesday it would alter its men's and women's basketball schedules and eliminate conference tournaments in eight sports.

"The Mid-American Conference announced Tuesday that it would change its men's and women's basketball schedules and conference tournaments and eliminate conference tournaments in eight sports beginning with the 2020-21 season, in a series of cost-cutting measures to stem the financial fallout from the coronavirus pandemic. A working group set up to explore efficiencies in operations across the 24 conference-sponsored sports came up with the plan, which covers the next four seasons but offers the ability to be reevaluated as the economic situation stabilizes...."

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                            MAC curtails basketball schedules, eliminates conference tournaments in other sports - ESPN

Andrea Adelson, Senior Writer
                            May 12, 2020, 6:51 PM CT

In an effort to stem the financial fallout from the coronavirus pandemic, the Mid-American Conference announced Tuesday it would alter its men's and women's basketball schedules and eliminate conference tournaments in eight sports.

"The Mid-American Conference announced Tuesday that it would change its men's and women's basketball schedules and conference tournaments and eliminate conference tournaments in eight sports beginning with the 2020-21 season, in a series of cost-cutting measures to stem the financial fallout from the coronavirus pandemic. A working group set up to explore efficiencies in operations across the 24 conference-sponsored sports came up with the plan, which covers the next four seasons but offers the ability to be reevaluated as the economic situation stabilizes...."
                            In case anyone gets any ideas, I don’t think a 20-game schedule is something The American could do if they are trying to cut costs. The MAC can do it because their conference is regional with lots of bus travel involved.
                            78-65

Comment

Working...
                            X