Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Given this scenario will WSU get an at large birth to the NCAAs or is it NIT again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Given this scenario will WSU get an at large birth to the NCAAs or is it NIT again?

Let's say WSU beats Temple and Tulsa at home and manages to get either Memphis or SMU on the road. That would be 23-8. And just guessing at likelihoods in the conference, Houston wins out and is 15-3, Cincy is 13-5, Tulsa 12-6 and SMU 11-7 with us holding the tiebreaker (I assume). 4th seed gets 5-12 winner then Houston. If we finish 4th, beat SMU for instance and lose to Houston, we'd be 24-9. Good enough? Certainly, even under these parameters there still are variables all over the country, not just in the American, but what say you ShockerNation?
    NCAA
    68.35%
    NIT
    31.65%

The poll is expired.

we have to beat Temple, a loss would really hurt our resume. A win against Cincy would be a nice boost and give us room to drop a game or 2. Lose against Cincy and I think we need to sweep the remaining 4 to be comfortable, although a lot still hinges on what the other bubble teams do.

Comment

that scenario.........more likely than not, but certainly not a lock

Comment

I've been debating this scenario in my head too. I believe the committee would say "hey, solid record, solid metrics, no bad losses, but no great wins either." Then send us to the First Four and have us prove our worthiness to play Thursday or Friday in the NCAA tournament.

Comment

I think we have only one more loss to give (Cincy probably) or we’ll be sweating bullets come selection Sunday.

Hope I’m wrong though because I foresee probably 2 loses.

Comment

Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
            I think we have only one more loss to give (Cincy probably) or we’ll be sweating bullets come selection Sunday.

Hope I’m wrong though because I foresee probably 2 loses.
            Totally agree. Two losses and i think its 50/50 on us getting in.

Comment

This five game stretch to end the Shocker season is why I am happy the Shockers are playing in the AAC and not the MVC. Five problematic games but I think the Shockers could run the table; if they do then the NCAA tourney seed will be very nice. If the Shockers finish second or by a miracle win the AAC tourney, then the NCAA tourney seed will be an off the chart low single digit (a 5?).

Comment

In your scenario on teamcast at Bart torvik site we would be among the last 4 byes. This assumes all other games around the country but you can set specific games for wins or losses with WSU.

Comment

I wouldn’t feel confident in a resume consisting of Q1 wins over Oklahoma State, UConn, and Memphis.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Always be optimistic.
                    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Gut feeling is that we can sustain only one more loss to be relatively sure of getting in. Any more than that and it is any body's guess.depending on whom we beat, and who beats us.

Comment

I would feel better about the odds if that same record had a different name on the jersey.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingWheat View Post
                          I would feel better about the odds if that same record had a different name on the jersey.
                          Yeah, and put that same record behind ANY team in the BigEast, SEC, ACC, Big12, or Big10 and they're probably looking at a seed of anywhere from #3-#6, certainly not last 4 in.

Comment

Here are my thoughts:

Beat at Cincy = move up to a 9-seed. Loss to Cincy, switch seed lines with 11-seed Cincy.
                            Beat at Cincy & vs Temple = Hold on the 9-seed line. Lose to both and we are in trouble
                            Beat at Cincy, vs Temple, & at SMU = 8-seed line, Lose all three and we have to win the AAC Auto to get in.
                            Beat at Cincy, vs Temple, at SMU, & at Memphis = 7-seed line. Lose all four start prepping for the NIT.
                            Beat at Cincy, vs Temple, at SMU, at Memphis, & vs Tulsa = 7-seed line. Lose all five start packing for an NIT road game.

Comment

and if we win out including the AAC tourney?

Comment

Working...
                              X