Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
    'the problems haven't been fixed'

The problem was we didn't hit a jumpshot for a month. I don't know if it's #fixed, but if we hit half as many wide open looks during the slump as we did in the last 2 games everyone is feeling very different.
    shariff has a point though. We do shoot and settle for the outside shot way too much. We need to inside-out better. We have some good shooters.. if they take good shots and do it within the flow of the offense. That's why we were effed up. The last two years we haven't had a true PG and it has showed. The offense doesn't run as fluid and we tend to chuck a bit more with iso. Not accustomed to that with Marshall. Hopefully NF continues to improve because he is the catalyst in the effort. If the team is committed to TEAM ball, and isn't worried about "theirs", then things should fall into place. I think massive steps were taken on Sunday and hopefully that continues into Thursday. But there isn't any question that the real test is on Sunday. That'll determine if they crater back into their regressive mean or if they break through and don't just accept what the Cincy defense gives them.
    Last edited by ShockerFever; February 18, 2020, 10:57 AM.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Abdullah and I seem to be on the same page and agree that a couple of easy wins doesn't mean our weaknesses have
      been resolved. We are small and not very physical positions 1-4. Will probably be exposed again on the three game road trip.

Comment

Just want to point out that the jump shot is- without a doubt- the worst shot you can take in all of basketball. I'm fine with looking for layups/ dunks and three's exclusively. Jump shots should be bailouts when all else fails. If we are drawing up plays for jump shots, we very much need to reevaluate.

Comment

Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post
          If we are drawing up plays for jump shots, we very much need to reevaluate.
          There are only so many alley oops, layups, screen and roll, screen and release, etc. that can be drawn up from a timeout. Often, the play is a one on one play that allows the player freedom to make decisions and often those shots end up in a jump shot, especially if a team doesn't have an ideal one on one player to use in late game and clock situations.. Cincy has it in Cumberland, and we don't and we've rarely had one (maybe Fred and Malcolm Armstead are the only ones I can think of). I do think we have a couple of Fr. guard candidates that may become that and Fred wasn't able to do it as a Freshman either.

Comment

Just want to point out that the jump shot is- without a doubt- the worst shot you can take in all of basketball. I'm fine with looking for layups/ dunks and three's exclusively. Jump shots should be bailouts when all else fails. If we are drawing up plays for jump shots, we very much need to reevaluate.
            Hmmm... they've been working with TE on his pull-up "jump shot"... Marshall said it could add another dimension to his game and TE should have used it when he barreled in for charge against Tulane. Back in the day, Ross and I patented the 'set shot'... Ross could really 'set' it, but it was easy to swat into next week.

Found this in my archives... Ross and I working on our 'set shot'...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

adding Noah to the rotation helps, whether he starts or not. The guys need more breathers in order to keep the energy level up and Noah also provides a change of pace vs Grant's slow plodding style. Not to mention that competition for minutes makes everyone up their game.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Hmmm... they've been working with TE on his pull-up "jump shot"... Marshall said it could add another dimension to his game and TE should have used it when he barreled in for charge against Tulane. Back in the day, Ross and I patented the 'set shot'... Ross could really 'set' it, but it was easy to swat into next week.

Found this in my archives... Ross and I working on our 'set shot'...

Several ‘jump shots’ in this clip...

Comment

Didn't mean to be controversial with my comment -- yes, anecdotally, a jump shot is fine, but statistically, it's a terrible decision. That's all I meant.

Comment

Statistically, shots that go in are great. Shots that don't go in suck.

Comment

If we are drawing up plays for jump shots, we very much need to reevaluate.
                      I am quite certain that nearly every play that is 'drawn up' has several options....so rest easy

Comment

Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post
                        don’t buy the s&p 500 just because the market is up and you want a piece.
                        Right. Instead, buy the S&P500 because you have cash on hand and timing the market is impossible.

Same with the Shox.

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I don't have the stats .. but I'd argue that our team shoots better from mid-range than they do on layups ..

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                            I don't have the stats .. but I'd argue that our team shoots better from mid-range than they do on layups ..
                            We also get whacked on the arm less on mid-range shots than layups.

Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

I am quite certain that nearly every play that is 'drawn up' has several options....so rest easy
                              Yes, and making the first option the worst option makes it not a great option.

I'm just the messenger, but here are the stats. Yes, there is nuance, but statistically speaking, the jump shot is by far the worst shot you can take in basketball. I'd argue that there is never a good time to draw up a play for a jump shot, but it would be in vain, because you people would tell me about this one guy this one time that did this one thing...

We're all friends here... Go Shox!

Comment

Yes, and making the first option the worst option makes it not a great option.

I'm just the messenger, but here are the stats. Yes, there is nuance, but statistically speaking, the jump shot is by far the worst shot you can take in basketball. I'd argue that there is never a good time to draw up a play for a jump shot, but it would be in vain, because you people would tell me about this one guy this one time that did this one thing...

We're all friends here... Go Shox!
                                We're all good man...

Comment

Working...
                                X