Clear All

• Wichita State vs South Florida Pre-Game Discussion

Description: WICHITA STATE VS SOUTH FLORIDA
    When: FEB 20 (THU) 6:00 P.M.
    Where: WICHITA, KAN. CHARLES KOCH ARENA
    Radio: KEYN 103.7 FM https://keyn.radio.com/
    TV: CBS SPORTS NETWORK

Summary:
    In the previous game this season, the Shockers scored a defensive win 56-43. South Florida is currently 11-14 overall, 4-8 AAC (9th). National rankings include NET #121 with a Q1/Q2 record of 4-8. Their best win is against NET #60 at Memphis by 2 points on February 8th. However this season, so far, has been a disappointment for the Bulls as they were projected to finish in the TOP 5 AAC. Guards David Collins and LaQuincy Rideau lead the team in scoring with 14.0 and 12.6 point averages per game.

Odd Makers:
    Vegas: WSU by 10.0
    DRatings: WSU 85% by 10.6
    ESPN: WSU 89%
    INCCSTATS: WSU 81% by 9.0
    KenPom: WSU 82% by 10.0
    Massey: WSU 86% by 12.0
    Nolan: WSU by 11.0
    Sagarin: WSU by 11.7
    Torvik: WSU 87% by 10.0
    Wilson: WSU 80% by 13.0
    Shocks Win by 10+
    68.75%
    Shocks Win by 5+
    14.58%
    Shocks Win by 1+
    12.50%
    Toss Up - Could Go Either Way
    4.17%
    Shocks Lose by 1+
    0%
    Shocks Lose by 5+
    0%
    Shocks Lose by 10+
    0%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by WuShock Reaper; February 20, 2020, 04:58 PM. Reason: Added Prediction Model

I have a happy hour and dinner during the game, but I am allowed to miss a game on TV every now and then right? Don’t worry ShockerNet, I will record the game and dissect it thoroughly much to the chagrin of my wife.

The real question: does NF continue to start? Because I like his positive Mojo on the team.

Comment

Starting lineup won't change without injury/loss/tomfoolery.

Comment

Again, who starts does not matter and NF has not been magic. The issues we had before have just been masked by
        weaker opponents the past couple of games. Beat Cincy on Sunday and I might change my tune. Ball movement has
        improved but I want to see it against better competition and at least one W on the upcoming three game road trip. If
        we win Thursday, as we should, it is important for the team not to get to full of themselves again and respond angrily when
        they face adversity again...……..and they will. When they get hit in the face they have to hit back harder.

Comment

don’t care about starters... just minutes played, +/-, and sharing the ball.. sitting on a pile of cash and would love to buy the shox stock.. gimme a reason please!

against south florida, i’d like to see balanced scoring (4 with 10+), assists on 50% of baskets, hold the opponent to 65 or less, and turnovers at 13 or fewer.

Comment

Consumer confidence is up! Go Shocks!
            I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post
              don’t care about starters... just minutes played, +/-, and sharing the ball.. sitting on a pile of cash and would love to buy the shox stock.. gimme a reason please!

against south florida, i’d like to see balanced scoring (4 with 10+), assists on 50% of baskets, hold the opponent to 65 or less, and turnovers at 13 or fewer.
              Really? You need a reason? How about 19-6 and trending in the right direction since the “chat”. Maybe we’re not watching the same team?

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                Starting lineup won't change without injury/loss/tomfoolery.
                Agree to disagree...starting lineup could and should change based on matchup of team. Starting 4 guards isn’t always the answer against a bigger team for example.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                  Again, who starts does not matter and NF has not been magic. The issues we had before have just been masked by
                  weaker opponents the past couple of games. Beat Cincy on Sunday and I might change my tune. Ball movement has
                  improved but I want to see it against better competition and at least one W on the upcoming three game road trip. If
                  we win Thursday, as we should, it is important for the team not to get to full of themselves again and respond angrily when
                  they face adversity again...……..and they will. When they get hit in the face they have to hit back harder.
                  Again, disagree. NF has been a spark plug for the team with his attitude and energy. He has put everyone on notice that practice and attitude does matter. My question is when they shorten the amount of guards starting and minutes played due to matchup, does NF go down or take some of GS minutes (who seems to have a long leash). I for one hope NF stays right where he is because he is a pure PG. But let’s see how he handles the athletes of Cincy, Memphis, and SMU...I think he is ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Arizona Shocker View Post

Really? You need a reason? How about 19-6 and trending in the right direction since the “chat”. Maybe we’re not watching the same team?
                    i do... the problems haven’t been fixed.. the boys have been hitting the long ball and thats making the non-technical analyst happy because of the wins. sure theyve talked but now comes the work of getting better. don’t buy the s&p 500 just because the market is up and you want a piece. maybe i’m the only one skeptical of the jerry springer ass whippin coming sunday if its not all shored up. don’t worry, bill cosby, morgan freeman, and a band of methodists are ready to exploit and spoil the false sense of security.

i love my shox but i see the flaws.. putting emotion aside, this is where smart coaches figure out how to maximize the strengths and minimize the weaknesses. ggg go earn that money!

Comment

Both teams last week tried to play zone partially at least because of what they saw us do (only hit two threes the second half) when we played Tulsa and couldn't hit any shots. We did shoot pretty well against UCF and Tulane and their zone defense opened them up to being dominated on the boards. I don't think USF was a zone team and I don't remember if Cincy is a M/M team or zone team. Either way, I hope we hit shots and Cumberland misses more shots than he did here.

Comment

Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post

i do... the problems haven’t been fixed.. the boys have been hitting the long ball and thats making the non-technical analyst happy because of the wins. sure theyve talked but now comes the work of getting better. don’t buy the s&p 500 just because the market is up and you want a piece. maybe i’m the only one skeptical of the jerry springer ass whippin coming sunday if its not all shored up. don’t worry, bill cosby, morgan freeman, and a band of methodists are ready to exploit and spoil the false sense of security.

i love my shox but i see the flaws.. putting emotion aside, this is where smart coaches figure out how to maximize the strengths and minimize the weaknesses. ggg go earn that money!
                        While I agree that they are still taking lots of 3s and they are just hitting them now, there are other changes that have happened. They are DEFINITELY sharing the ball better now. The ball isn't getting stuck as often and that's leading to a lot of these 3s being wide open. Teams are focusing on shutting Jaime down, so they are going to need to hit those and some mid range.

Comment

'the problems haven't been fixed'

The problem was we didn't hit a jumpshot for a month. I don't know if it's #fixed, but if we hit half as many wide open looks during the slump as we did in the last 2 games everyone is feeling very different.

Comment

Originally posted by Arizona Shocker View Post

Agree to disagree...starting lineup could and should change based on matchup of team. Starting 4 guards isn’t always the answer against a bigger team for example.
                            I'm not saying could/should. I'm stating that it won't IMO. Based on 13 years of watching Marshall coach WSU.

Comment

It doesn’t really matter who starts. The game plan determines the strategy and they have Pla B and maybe more because it also matter if someone plays well or not. The games where no one plays well are usually the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X