Wichita State at Houston Pre-Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
    Why are we always saying our lack of size is killing us. I remember a 6 foot FVV, a 6’4 RB and a 6’2 Tekele Cotton being a small group of starters too and they won a lot of games. Is it talent or lack thereof versus size?
    While EO, Kadeem Coleby, etc weren’t offensive juggernauts, they protected the eff out of the lane. That’s how we won a lot of games on the defensive side of things too. As far as the offensive side, I think we missed on a few and we just don’t have skilled athletes or guys that play angry like Carl Hall, for example.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
      Why are we always saying our lack of size is killing us. I remember a 6 foot FVV, a 6’4 RB and a 6’2 Tekele Cotton being a small group of starters too and they won a lot of games. Is it talent or lack thereof versus size?
      Those were 3 rather exceptional 6', 6'2", and 6'4" guys. They were built like linebackers. FVV was getting to the rim and challenging rim protectors. Now he's doing the same thing in the NBA. Cotton was dunking over them. Baker had a football player mentality and hit from 3 at nearly a 40% rate.

The current backcourt players would look better if there was a viable PG on the roster. Burton doesn't seem to be quick enough to get past a help defender and ends up taking crazy shots from the middle of the lane. A few weeks ago he was making some insane stuff. Lately we're seeing why those shots are called insane stuff. Sherfield seems to be trying to go iso ineffectively or finding a way to call his own shot. I'm not sure either of those is accurate, but it would explain his dribbling back and forth for 8 seconds seemingly every time he touches the ball.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

In one-possession games (2010-2020) Marshall record is (AAC in parenthesis)

1 pt games: 5-7 (0-3)
        2 pt games: 5-5 (1-2)
        3 pt games: 10-16 (3-4)

MVC 16-18
        AAC 4-10

Comment

I’m not sure why, but for some reason I feel really good about this game.

Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
          Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

MVC 16-18
            AAC 4-10
            Wow. I think we all had this suspicion, but to see it laid out like this is sobering. Losing record even in the MVC, and then being eaten alive in AAC.

Comment

We lost some Valley games against far inferior teams. We are not far inferior to Houston. We may not be favored but we can win this game.
              I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

Chins up. Expect us to get our best road win since 2018 @ UC.

Comment

Will honestly be shocked if we keep this within 5. Sorry, not a lot to make me believe things will go better than the last 5 games.

Comment

MVC 16-18
                    AAC 4-10
                    Thanks for sharing this information!

I was going to gather this data to confirm/deny my suspicions regards Marshall's record; had no idea the MVC results would be so unflattering.

Comment

Those three former players were all great defenders. They seldom got back doored and they played passing lanes well.
                      All three were fearless, could beat their men off the dribble, could see the court and make appropriate passes to create
                      easy shots for others and all could finish drives. All three were darn good and played well above their size.

Comment

MVC 16-18
                        AAC 4-10
                        Didn't we win two 2 pt games last year alone? (The two SHJ buzzer beaters)

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                          Those three former players were all great defenders. They seldom got back doored and they played passing lanes well.
                          All three were fearless, could beat their men off the dribble, could see the court and make appropriate passes to create
                          easy shots for others and all could finish drives. All three were darn good and played well above their size.
                          Another big difference is that we had a legit 4 man in Early that had size to go along with our big post players. JE has no help down low.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

While EO, Kadeem Coleby, etc weren’t offensive juggernauts, they protected the eff out of the lane. That’s how we won a lot of games on the defensive side of things too. As far as the offensive side, I think we missed on a few and we just don’t have skilled athletes or guys that play angry like Carl Hall, for example.
                            This is 100% correct. We miss having the rim protectors of old. Especially EO, like Marshall said he was an eraser. He corrected a lot of defensive mistakes on the perimeter when opponents drove to the rim. If he didn't block the shot, he altered the opponent's shot. We sorely lack this today. And definitely Play Angry seems to be a thing of the past. This was a very solid post. Succinct and to the point.
                            You're a lying dog-faced pony soldier.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Didn't we win two 2 pt games last year alone? (The two SHJ buzzer beaters)
                              I will go back and check, always a chance for error since I'm compiling by hand.

Comment

I will go back and check, always a chance for error since I'm compiling by hand.
                                We also had the @ Tulane game where Dex hit the last sec shot

Comment

Working...
                                X