Tulsa Predictions and Pre-game discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tulsa Predictions and Pre-game discussions

Tulsa is 4-5. Those 5 losses are: Northwestern, St. Joes, MoSt, Okie Lite, and Arizona State. Those aren't bad losses, the worst is probably Zona, and all of their losses have been by 4 points or less.

The 4 wins are: UALR, SE Louisianna, Western Kentucky, and Jackson State.

So, they have won the games that they are supposed to win and lost all of the games that were either toss-ups or their were underdogs. However, they have been competitive in every game that they have played so far.

Roster Breakdown:
    Tulsa is 7 deep. Starters in their last game went as such:
    G 6'3" Tim Peete. He's averaging 28 min/g, but not producing much. 4.4 ppg, 2.6 apg.
    G 6'4" Jordan Clarkson. THE DUDE. Averaging 31 min/g. 15 ppg, 5 rpg. He's been struggling with his outside shot a little this year, but is making up for it by getting to the line a lot. Already shot 59 FT's on the year. Look for this to be Toure's guy, and hopefully Toure makes him put up a bunch of shots to get his points.
    G 6'4" Scottie Haralson. Averaging 29 min/g. Second leading scorer. Has made 36 FG's this year, 29 of them have been 3 pointers. It looks like he is much more comfortable shooting 3's than anything else. Has a higher shooting % from 3 than he does on overall FG%. Gotta be DK's guy, and lock down the perimeter.
    F 6'6" Joe Richard. Averaging 21 min/g. Not much a scorer (3 ppg, 4 rpg). BAD FT SHOOTER (40%), no easy buckets. Looks like a big advantage at the PF spot for us. Hope CH can continue hitting his shots.
    F 6'11": Steven Idlet. 3rd leading scorer. He is a guy who will get all of his scoring from inside the arc. Not a very good FT shooter (61%). Looks like a decent match-up for Garrett.

Reserves:
    F 6'9" D.J. Magley. 23 min/g. Looks like a pretty decent guy off the bench. 5 ppg, 7 rpg. He has definitely been productive in his time.
    G 6'4" Eric McClellan. 16 min/g. A good shooter off the bench (43% from 3).

Big Question Mark: They have a 6'10" C named Kodi Maduka. He didn't play last game because of an ankle injury. Before his injury he was averaging 8 ppg and 7 rpg, in 23 min/g. If he's healthy, that gives them a lot more production in the post.

Bottom line: This is a big game, which is following a huge game. Tulsa will not lay down and this will not be an easy game, especially on the road. If this team wants to prove that Sunday wasn't an aberration they need to come out fired up and ready to go. This looks like a game that will come down to the last 5 minutes. We need to hit our FT's and continue playing good defense, while showing signs of continued offensive growth.

Prediction: WSU 68 - TU 63

Nice breakdown. We need to attack these guys inside and see if we can get them into foul trouble. Especially if Maduka is still out. Keep playing with the intensity we saw Sunday and we should have this.

Shox - 78
    asluT - 65
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Tulsa is a team that is significantly better than their RPI indicates. Unfortunately, that is exactly the type of team you hate to see on your schedule (especially on the road).

I think if we continue to feed the post with regularity, we will win. Disaster could await if the guards think the UNLV game was a sign that we should jack up twenty-five treys with the expectation of making more than forty percent of them.

Prediction:

WSU 74,
      Tulsa 70

Comment

Garrett absolutely dominated Idlet and Maduka last year at IBA. Garrett scored 20 points in that game. Idlet and Maduka combined for 5 points (3 and 2 respectively) in that game. Idlet fouled out trying to guard him and Maduka committed 4 fouls. Lest you think that Idlet and Maduka were only dominated because the reffing worked against them, all 5 of their combined points were from the free throw line.

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

wsu 73, tulsa 71....no one wears polka dots....

should be a great game!

Comment

I'm sure that Garrett is feeling pretty confident going in to this game. Also, thank goodness Hurtt is gone. That guy was awesome last year.

Comment

Shocks are a 4 point favorite, on the road, for what it's worth.

Comment

How Tulsa became the Golden Hurricane has to be an even more bizarre story than how WSU became the Shockers.

My sunshine pump is working again.

River City - 76
                Windy City (Southern version) - 68
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  How Tulsa became the Golden Hurricane has to be an even more bizarre story than how WSU became the Shockers.

May somehow relate to the fact they are a port.

http://www.tulsaport.com/

Edit, got curious,
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_Golden_Hurricane

Last edited by 19SHOCKER76; December 6, 2011, 06:26 PM.
                  “Talk low, talk slow and don't say too much.”
                  John Wayne

Comment

Last Season, Kyles was on fire in the first half. The Tulsa series is nice to have. Remember many moons ago when Tom Kosich tipped in the winning shot? He referred to that as "the shot that was heard around the world." This game will be a battle as it was last Season at Intrust. Winning on the cold and lonely road was something we did in record fashion in the Valley last Season. Let's hope we can pull this tough non-conference road game off.

Shox-------74

Hurricane--68
                    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

69 to 64 Da Shoxs!
                      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

This is basically our first actual road game. I've really enjoyed having so many home games, but this might catch the team off guard. Hopefully not, I feel like they can handle it. They are big boys.

Dub State - 75
                        Tulsa - 67

Comment

Shox 74
                          Tulsa 65

Comment

If WSU is to be a contender, and not just a pretender, they must start winning these type of road games. It's time to go out and earn those stripes.

Comment

Hall and Stutz will dominate.
                              Shockers win 71-61

Comment

Working...
                              X