Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaping up be a true EPIC GAME!!!!

GO SHOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by AZ Shocker; January 31, 2020, 09:30 AM.
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

I watched Tulsa beat UConn and I was impressed with them. They have athletic / physical players similar to Houston
      who whipped us pretty bad and their zone looked impressive. We can't be bringing anything less than our A game unless
      they play poorly. I expect we will be the under dogs. Have to move the ball well and get good three point looks, make north of 35%
      of them, play intense stingy D and rebound well. NO atomic bombs. Could go either way. Not real confident.

Comment

Huge three-game stretch coming up. This will tell us a lot about the Shox and the chances of winning the AAC. 11 games left and we can probably only afford 2 maybe 3 losses to have a chance at the title. LFG!!

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
          I watched Tulsa beat UConn and I was impressed with them. They have athletic / physical players similar to Houston
          who whipped us pretty bad and their zone looked impressive. We can't be bringing anything less than our A game unless
          they play poorly. I expect we will be the under dogs. Have to move the ball well and get good three point looks, make north of 35%
          of them, play intense stingy D and rebound well. NO atomic bombs. Could go either way. Not real confident.
          agree. I'm still concerned with our decision making on offense. We can get it in the middle but will the person receiving make smart decisions with the ball? This is why our 2 point shooting is so dreadful. We need to play a smart game to win tomorrow.

Comment

Well, crap. Just got MAYB schedule for tomorrow. I guess at 5 I'll be watching my favorite player, not my favorite team.

Comment

Tulsa seeking first win over No. 23 Wichita State since 2015 - National Post (via Reuters)

Posted: January 31, 2020 12:17 PM EST

A surprising Tulsa team that’s in second place in the American Athletic Conference draws a marquee opportunity Saturday as it hosts No. 23 Wichita State.

"The Golden Hurricane (14-6, 6-1 AAC) ride a five-game winning streak into Saturday’s contest, a run that began Jan. 11 with a 63-61 defeat of conference-leading Houston. Tulsa also welcomed a Top 25-ranked opponent to the Reynolds Center on Jan. 22 and subsequently handed Memphis an 80-40 defeat — the largest margin of victory for an unranked team against a ranked opponent in 27 years.

“It was a good night for us,” Jeriah Horne told the Tulsa World following the rout of Memphis. “We’re coming together. Chemistry-wise, it’s really good.” The Golden Hurricane’s last time out was a much different tone but resulted in a 79-75 overtime win last Sunday at Connecticut....

One key to the Shockers’ turnaround from a 22-15 (10-8 AAC) season a year ago is evident on the defense end: generating more turnovers. Wichita State is 25th in the nation with a +3.5 turnover margin. “We just have to keep getting better,” guard Dexter Dennis said in the press conference following the UCF win. “But what a difference a year can make, for sure.”

The past year has made a difference for Tulsa, as well. The Golden Hurricane finished the 2018-19 season with an 18-14 record and below .500 (8-10) in the AAC, including two losses to Wichita State. The 2019-20 Golden Hurricane are just two wins shy of matching last season’s conference win total. Its first defeat of Wichita State since November 2015 — the Golden Hurricane have lost five straight to the Shockers — would not just move Tulsa closer to that milestone, but also keep the Golden Hurricane at the forefront of the conference championship chase."

Comment

Not really Tulsa related but I thought it was kinda cool.

About once a week, my travels take me to Plainview Texas. Been staying at the Holiday Inn Express there on and off for years. Always show up in my shocker gear and have even taken them hats and other odds and ends. Anyway, this week when I checked in, I see the following on my key cards. It made me laugh. Always spreading the Shocker word!!

20200131_071515.jpg

Comment

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                    I think the question we're all waiting to have answered is...do they confiscate bottle caps?
                    Two years ago they didn't even though we did at CKA and the beer was only $5.00

Comment

Comment

IMG_20200201_081815.jpg

Comment

We win by 40.

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                            Taylor is a treasure! His article brings back those same feelings I had back then. I LOVE beating Tulsa! Thanks tayloreldridge.
                            Last edited by ShockerDropOut; February 1, 2020, 02:40 PM.
                            Go Shocks!

Comment

Bill Haisten: Wichita State showdown could be TU’s biggest home game in 17 years - Tulsa World

By Bill Haisten
                              Posted: 01/31/20, 11:20pm cst

"In all of major-college athletics, no school is more starved for something positive than the University of Tulsa. Due to health factors, university President Gerard Clancy resigned this week. There are grim reports regarding the university’s finances. The football program is mired in a three-year slump. In 2016, there were 10 victories. In three seasons since, there was a total of nine. I have no idea whether TU women’s basketball is inadequately funded or supported, but, good grief, the results are bleak. The Hurricane women are destined for what would be the program’s 12th losing season in the past 14 years. This season, there have been losses of 30, 50 and 58 points. At SMU last week, the Hurricane shot 23% overall and finished with 10 field goals. The starters were 2-of-19 on shots from the field.

Finally, though, something good is happening at 11th and Harvard.

After a mostly brilliant January that included a 40-point obliteration of Memphis and an overtime road conquest of UConn, the Golden Hurricane men rock into February as Oklahoma’s best college basketball team and the type of great story the university so badly needs.TU started close to the bottom — picked to finish 10th in the 12-team American Athletic Conference — and now we’re here: Saturday’s 5 p.m. league showdown with longtime rival Wichita State is the Hurricane’s most important home game in a long time.

Of Tulsa’s first 75 games played in the Reynolds Center, 35 were played before sellout crowds. Since Frank Haith arrived in 2014, he has coached the Hurricane in 91 home games. There was only one sellout — the Wichita State game two years ago. For Saturday’s showdown with the Shockers — who, as usual, will bring at least 1,500 of their fans — TU officials are expecting a crowd of better than 7,000 at the 8,355-seat Reynolds Center. Considering that fewer than 2,000 people witnessed Tulsa’s masterpiece performance against Temple on Jan. 3, a crowd of 7,000-plus would look beautiful on television (ESPNU).

When the Hurricane smashed favored Memphis on Jan. 22, the Reynolds Center crowd amounted to slightly less than 5,000, but the TU student section was filled and impactful. There was an energy that was common years ago, but not so much since 2003 — when TU last recorded an NCAA Tournament win.

In 1994-2003, there were eight March Madness appearances and 11 tournament wins. In 2000, Bill Self nearly took Tulsa to the Final Four. That’s why there were 35 sellouts in 1993-2003.

At the top of the American standings are Houston (7-1 league record), Tulsa (6-1), Cincinnati (6-2) and Wichita State (5-2). Gregg Marshall’s Shockers are 17-3 overall. Of the six AAC teams positioned within the top 75 of the NCAA Net Rankings, Wichita State is highest at No. 31. Tulsa is 65th. Wichita State-Tulsa could be a classic. For the Hurricane, Martins Igbanu was a hero at UConn. Brandon Rachal and Jeriah Horne have been excellent. Point guard Elijah Joiner is a playmaker and TU’s master of morale. Off the bench, Darien Jackson is a source for timely buckets.

In 1991-2002, with players recruited mostly by Tubby Smith and Self, the Hurricane was 16-1 against Wichita State. Since 2003, the Hurricane is 1-12 against the Shockers. If the Hurricane beats the Shockers on Saturday and then follows by continuing to stack conference victories and making this season something special, then perhaps there could be a lingering, beneficial effect on Reynolds Center attendance figures.

Ultimately, this Wichita State date could be remembered as having been the Hurricane’s biggest home game in 17 years."

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X