No announcement yet.

Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For some reason this has really shook me up. I grew up watching Kobe but his death highlights something deeper...I don’t own a helicopter but it’s just a reality check that no one wakes up thinking it’ll be the day they die. Sorry morbid post but just a sad, sad day and I pray the family will find peace.

Comment

RIP Kobe...

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Gosh. Look at the pilot's altitude right at the end. I am guessing he tries to pull up as the mountains come into view due to heavy fog. At 4:20 in the video he is at 1,415 ft, just a second or two later is at 2,111.

Just ugh.
        A Sikorsky S-76B helicopter, registered N72EX, impacted hilly terrain in Calabasas, Los Angeles County, California. All nine on board died. Five-time NBA Champion Kobe Bryant was among th...

scroll down to the ads-b data, shows a steady climb at consistent vertical speed until last 20 seconds of flight were the vertical speed drops drastically. Does not appear like a controlled descent in my view...
        Last edited by dregn; January 26, 2020, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Sad day for anybody who grew up watching Kobe. One of the all time greats, just a real gut punch. Prayers to his family and the families of the others on board.

Comment

A true gut punch for me and many of the basketball junkies of my age. Kobe was my first favorite athlete ever. He was the Mahomes of my 12-18 year old life. One of my best memories of college was watching his sixty point final game and screaming and just being so happy that he was able to "go out" like that.

He certainly had his warts - and I was too young to truly understand them at the time - but he appeared, and from all the statements about him, to be committed to being the best father to his daughters.

RIP and my prayers to his family and everyone he touched. Really shook me up yesterday.
            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

I'll probably catch some hell for this, and deservedly so.....but here goes anyway.

I was never a fan of Kobe Bryant. That's not to say I didn't respect his talent. Clearly he's one of the best players EVER. But he played for the Lakers and I grew up a Celtics fan. Beat LA.

Yesterday was an awful tragedy. Nobody wants to see things like that, and it's made so much worse by all the young people lost, including Kobe. I pray their families and friends can find some comfort in the love expressed by an adoring public.

But the day punched me in the face....I need to be better. Perhaps there's a lesson to be learned here for some of us. There certainly is for me.

I suspect most of us realize the real tragedy is the loss of the children. Matt Mauser lost his wife and the mother of their 3 children, Christina Mauser. Sarah Chester and her 13 year old daughter, Payton. John Altobelli, his wife Keri and their daughter Alyssa also perished. And then there's the pilot. All gone too soon.

As I listened and watched the coverage unfold, I looked to see when the Lakers next played and began to wonder what kind of response the teams would present on that day. I saw the ESPN schedule, then noticed the ticket prices they always list next to every game. Tickets as low as $57 for example. Well they were $259 for the Clipper game Tuesday. My mind began churning. I bet those prices are going up....maybe I should buy a handful. I went to the ticket sight. I guestimate the average ticket price, about 2-3pm, had risen to about $1500 each. Probably $3000-$4000 today. God Bless America.

I was embarrassed at my own greed. A little embarrassed I hadn't thought about it earlier. Now really embarrassed. That's just America. That's who we are, sometimes sadly.

My mind began to wander. I watched as an entire city began to grieve. I thought to myself, I realize the greatness of Kobe, but there must be more to it. What has he done for the city of Los Angeles? His giving to various organizations in that city must be huge.

I spent maybe half an hour searching online. I admit, I don't know. Honestly, I want to hear about all the good he's done. I found his foundation with his wife. They donated 20k 6 years ago. That's on the first page. No updates to their news feed since 2014. I thought to myself, Kobe is being treated better than a passing President. This seems a bit much. I can hardly find a philanthropy he really called his own. Certainly not what you'd expect for a man worth north of a half a billion dollars.

I started thinking more....who the eff am I to judge? What have I done? I sure as hell haven't donated 20K to anything. Now I am even more embarrassed.

Look around...love those that you're near because none of us are promised tomorrow. And if we're going to make a difference, a real difference in our lives, it's almost assuredly going to be among the people around us, and that's the goal for which we should strive.

Rest in peace Kobe Bryant. And may God bless all of the families and friends affected by this horrible tragedy.

And for anyone like me, perhaps the lesson we can take away is to value those around us a little more, appreciate the subtleties of our existence a little more, and help our fellow man a little more.

It was a tragic day yesterday.....and personally a little embarrassing too. I'd like not to repeat that.

Last edited by WuDrWu; January 27, 2020, 12:11 PM.

Comment

A great loss for all of us who love baskerball! RIP to Kobe and his fellow travelers..........
                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

RH: “Kobe meant almost everything to me."

Comment

For you religious Shockers like me, I take comfort knowing both him and his daughter were at Sunday mass earlier in the day. Catholics will understand—I hope my time is called hours after I receive the Blessed Sacrament.

Eternal rest grant to them, oh Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them.

Kobe Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, went to church just hours before dying — along with seven others — in a helicopter crash on the way to the teen’s basketball tournament, a re…

Comment

Wichita State's men and women basketball teams react to Kobe Bryant' death.

Comment

I think I was in shock more than anything yesterday. But seeing all of the video and stuff today, along with his daughter, just really got to me now. Maybe it's because I now have a daughter and could not imagine the pain when young people are cheated like this. Or maybe it's just that Kobe was an all-time great yet one of the most likable players around.

It really puts things into perspective and really demonstrates how unfair life can be at times and how truly precious it really is.

I'm feeling it tonight, I can't imagine the pain it is inflicting on his family and those close to him and knew him. RIP to all of those who perished. Ugh.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

“Let us prepare our minds as if we’d come to the very end of life. Let us postpone nothing. Let us balance life’s books each day. … The one who puts the finishing touches on their life each day is never short of time.” Seneca At a Roman triumph, the majority of the public would […]

Comment

I was in Orlando watching the Clippers/Magic and Landry dribbling the 24 second clock and then the Magic taking the 8 second backcourt violtion. Didn't realize Fred also dribbles/held the 24 second in their game.

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                            ---------------------------------------
                            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by dregn View Post

A Sikorsky S-76B helicopter, registered N72EX, impacted hilly terrain in Calabasas, Los Angeles County, California. All nine on board died. Five-time NBA Champion Kobe Bryant was among th...

scroll down to the ads-b data, shows a steady climb at consistent vertical speed until last 20 seconds of flight were the vertical speed drops drastically. Does not appear like a controlled descent in my view...
                              I am not a pilot and have no training. I am sorry for asking, but what does it mean to you when you say the vertical speed drops drastically and does not appear like a controlled descent?

Comment

When children are taken, for some stupid reason, I always feel some comfort that she was with her daddy, and perhaps in some wierd way, that makes it somewhat better in that she was not alone.

But a child dying is always a loss in unfounded potential.

I don't consider myself a man of faith, really. But I do believe that our lives are just a blink of an eye and there is something better when we pass and when that time comes for us all, we will see that death is nothing to fear. My biggest concern is for those that we leave behind, and not being able to tell them that it's ok and that we are in a better place with no stress, no worries, no pain. Just happiness and joy in the memories that we leave behind with those we touched.
                                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Working...
                                X