Wichita State (#16) vs Houston Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

This is the same jackass who wrote the midmajor article. I gave him a pass then, but I won’t now. It’s obvious this idiot has an agenda. I don’t have the time tonight to raise a fuss, But you can bet your ass he and his editor will hear from me. This time it won’t be an email.

I urge anyone who has a subscription to please cancel it and let them know why.
    We cancelled our subscription after he wrote his "mid-major" article (and we let the KC Eagle know why).

Comment

• Scout on the Shox is pretty easy. Huggins was the first to get it right. Use hard on-ball pressure. Ignore a first step that gets past a a closely guarding defender. WSU's perimeter players don't drive past defenders. Huggins did not use the same D against K-State that he used agaist the Shox.

When WSU's perimeter ball handlers are closely guarded, they will ALWAYS call for a high ball screen and pull the post player away from the basket. They will ALWAYS fail to execute a pick and roll, and WSU doesn't seem to use a pick and pop. The ball handler will never curl around the screener to drive to the basket.

IMHO Burton and Sherfield are combo guards who "can play" PG. Fernandez is a PG. Today he had the advantage that he got into the game fresh when everyone else was worn down, but he penetrated the lane instead of pulling the post player away from the basket. When he got into the lane he turned Echenique into an incredibly efficient scorer.

Another easy scout. Always trap Sherfield. He will try to dribble out of the trap.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Thoughts:
        -thought our fans were very gracious today to the team
        - the mojo looked lost
        - the post players should rarely if ever dribble
        - loved Gordon.... most impressive player today
        -this might be the most stagnant offense style I can imagine.... watching ole Miss and Houston move the ball was a thing of beauty
        - I did find it hard to believe that ALL those blocks were clean
        - thought Sampson coached great.....maybe Gregg’s style at times deflates the boys
        - long season... time to get it going again

Comment

• Coach had mentioned previously how they have all the players make 10 free throws in a row at the end of practice, before they can leave.

I honestly find it hard to believe that MU has ever made 10 in a row. Maybe he has...I’m one who would have to see it to believe it.

Comment

• 12eagle correctly pointed out that zones do clog up the middle and on the defensive end of the court that might
            be better for us unless the opponent has a dead eye stretch four. If a team does not have that perimeter shooting
            PF them WE can clog the middle on defense. I am not advocating a full time zone I am saying it would be nice
            to have the option available once in awhile depending on game situations / line ups. Sometimes opponents get
            comfortable playing against your defense, whatever it is, and you have to do something to get them out of their
            comfort zone.
            Last edited by asiseeit; January 19, 2020, 07:09 AM.

Comment

• The zone and timeouts are two things that Gregg eschews.... almost like a test of manhood...

Comment

• You are missing the fact that the clog is around the three point line, play 2 bigs and it pulls that clog inside to free up our outside shot that I have complete confidence in after that congestion is opened up.

Comment

• Yes, proper timeout is huge if it’s managed correctly, something that GM does no do at all. Needs to change.

Comment

• The lesson is to Never read Shockernet for several days after a loss. The diversity of opinions of why we lost and the vast number of questionable or more accurately dumb ideas on how to correct it is immeasurable. There is only so much that can be done before we play again. Keep on.

Comment

• Originally posted by shox1989 View Post

We cancelled our subscription after he wrote his "mid-major" article (and we let the KC Eagle know why).
                      So basically the Eagle doesn’t give a crap because in spite of cancelled subscriptions, the guy still writes writes about WSU, this time with a KU slant. They literally laughed in your face as you cancelled your subscription.

Gonna take a lot more cancellations to make them stop laughing.
                      Last edited by ShockerFever; January 19, 2020, 10:26 AM.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                        The lesson is to Never read Shockernet for several days after a loss. The diversity of opinions of why we lost and the vast number of questionable or more accurately dumb ideas on how to correct it is immeasurable. There is only so much that can be done before we play again. Keep on.
                        Obviously you didn’t follow your own advice.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by 12eagle View Post

Playing two bigs actually does the opposite. It clogs the lane and shrinks the floor. Playing smaller with more shooters on the floor spreads the floor giving the high ball screen a better chance of success. I thought AM was fine today but it was interesting that Houston changed the way they were guarding the ball screen as soon as AM came in the game. They started trapping the ballhandler and essentially ignored AM on the roll.
                          They still flashed a defender to AM on his rolls.... not sure he was ever open for the pocket pass.

Comment

• Aargh,
                            Spot on and accurate analysis. Other easy items for opposing teams to scout and install in game plan...
                            1) Udeze will work hard, collect rebounds and commit fouls. Actually, he commits the dumbest fouls I've seen since Jamar Howard. Oh, and has Shaq-Like FT talent so hack him every time.
                            2) Nailed it on Sherfield on the double teams. GS is a talent but used to being so much better than what he has faced until now. I really believe he will get better.
                            3) JB is the only so-called driver and mid range shooter. All else will work the perimeter looking for the trey bomb.
                            4) Jam ES on the perimeter and he becomes frustrated. Will then force off balance shots.
                            5) Keep letting the WSU 5 set ball screens 25' away from basket, especially JE, the only low post player with offensive skills.
                            6) Keep allowing TW to play away from the basket shoot as many treys as he wants. Keeps rebounding lanes open for opposition.
                            7) Ignore AM as an offensive threat - only there to set the 25' ball screen.
                            8) Expect a silly turn over from PB, who flat out doesn't get what it takes to play at this level.

That is all.
                            Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Frankly, this is a poor passing team and it shows when you face a press defense like WVU, Temple, or Houston. Also, no one knows how to pass into the post. JE needs to stay out of foul trouble because when he’s out our offense only gets that much easier to defend.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

So they basically the Eagle doesn’t give a crap but in spite of cancelled subscriptions, the guy still writes writes about WSU, this time with a KU slant. They literally laughed in your face as you cancelled your subscription.

Gonna take a lot more cancellations to make them stop laughing.
                                What is happening at the WICHITA Eagle????????? Nothing in the Sunday print edition covering the Shockers at all (we did have a game yesterday afternoon). Wichita needs a newspaper

Comment

Working...
                                X