Wichita State (#16) vs Houston Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

If it is that important to you and others that is fine. That sentiment should probably be conveyed to Coach Marshall and perhaps some are doing that. It appears that e-mails should be sent to 3G's special assistant Ryan Hilliard at: rhillard@goshockers.com

Lmao...good one!

Comment

• Quotables: Houston Postgame

Head Coach GREGG MARSHALL on…

…Opening Statement
      "I want to congratulate Houston on a tremendous performance. They were the tougher team today. They played more-physically. They were smarter and they were better-coached. They just beat us in every way. Disappointed, obviously, in where we are the last two games and you know we're going to have to try to figure it out. And, hopefully, I'm making some progress. We took a long time with the guys after the game asking them what's going on, but we obviously have not played well these last two games. We don't recognize what got us to the point that we are now. But we don't have to worry about rankings anymore and streaks and whatnot. We just need to worry about being a good basketball team."

…Executing on offense:
      "It's like we've gotten away from executing and now it's 'I've got to go make a play'. And that's just not who we are. And we're not going to be that right now. Even late in the second half, when we had opportunities."

"We're not making the ones that we need to make when we're open. We're trying to do it ourselves, as opposed to trying to get someone else a shot. We've got to be better at dribbling into the paint, drawing the defense and kicking as opposed to dribbling into the paint going up against not only the guy guarding us -- who we may or may not have beaten to a degree -- and then going up with the shot-blocker ready to just spike our shot. It's just not smart. So I think, in a way, the youth and inexperience of our team is now kind of reared its ugly head and we've got to do better."

…Talking with the team after the game
      "You know, we can get as gnarly as you want. As a coaching staff. I mean, we really haven't been. We've been pretty. I mean, because these guys take care of the business and they take care of the business on and off the court, and at one point were 15-1, 16th in the country. Last two games -- no. And I don't know what's crept into the ointment, like a fly in the ointment. All I can say is, what I've told them is, you guys have got to get over your feelings. If you're worried about you and you're worried about how many points you're scoring, how many shots you're getting, how many minutes you're getting, then that's not healthy. And we got a lot of guys doing that. And I feel that, and I know that and until we work that out, we're not going to be as good as we can be."

Sophomore guard JAMARIUS BURTON on...

...The difficulty of trying to simulate Houston's style in practice
      "You can't simulate their size and athleticism in practice. But at the end of the day, we had opportunities and we didn't execute. We didn't take advantage of opportunities. They beat us on rebounds and fifty-fifty balls. I give them all the credit."

... what has to change
      In my opinion, it's all about the energy and effort. I feel like we didn't display that in the last two games. We just got to look ourselves in a mirror. And when we change the little things, give energy and effort, make smarter plays, winning plays, and play tougher.

Sophomore guard ERIK STEVENSON on Houston in the post

"It was it was, obviously, pretty difficult. We knew what they were about when it came to toughness. So, hats off to them. They did a great job scouting our stuff and taking us out of our stuff. But I think it just came down to focus and toughness on our end."

Comment

• I honestly don't think that the coaching staff has ever has recovered from the loss of Chris Jans....he was somehow the perfect assistant/counter to Gregg Marshall. Now the question becomes whether or not Marshall can put it back together or let his ego get the best of him.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
          Waiting on a Cold diatribe about the offense and how this wouldnt happen with Teddy...
          Cold might have left the building; rumor has it his cheese done slid off his cracker.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

they did quit. They quit at Temple and came out with no effort. They only started playing with 5 min left when it was virtually too late. Much of this on 3G though, for letting it happen.
            And the same **** not calling a TO at the start of the 2nd half.
            Other than stubbornness, I don't know what his thought process could be. To stand there and watch them blow his team off the floor at until they were down 20 is totally inexcusable.
            After 15 minutes at half-time, it was obvious whatever was addressed in the LR wasn't working. He needed to call a TO one minute into the half and try a different approach.

Lack of adjustment (until it was WAY too late) and to let Houston dictate the flow and sets apparently was the game plan today.
            The sad part is I knew he wasn't going to call a TO at the start when UH came out and smacked them in the nuts. It's just the way his mind thinks.
            And... it isn't going to change anytime soon.

That is all.
            Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Taylor Eldridge: Houston slaps No. 16 Wichita State with double-digit home loss, second loss of week

Includes video of Coach Marshall's post-game comments. However, I don't think that video is up yet on the Eagle's YouTube channel. I assume it will eventually be there for those who do not have an Eagle subscription.

Some of the same stuff reported in the Postgame Quotes above but a couple of other tidbits.

One reporter asked him about the free throw woes. He said one option was not to play the guys who aren't hitting them especially when they get into the bonus. He then talked about the 3 atomic bombs (talked about the bounce passes on the perimeter which is a no-no) and 7 missed free throws (including a couple or front ends of 1+1's) being a big factor in Houston's 10 point lead at half time and also said that this was the 2nd straight game where the start to the 2nd half has just been horrible and he needs to figure that out.

More ominously he talked about the guys worrying about themselves more than the team and that needs to be worked out. More cryptically (and perhaps more ominously) they have more things going on behind the scenes that he is not familiar with and it's spread like crabgrass in a beautiful lawn. Although there was any follow up on this.

Towards the end of the video he complemented Houston and said that they just man-handled the Shocks. He said he tried to tell them who Houston is but some of them apparently had to experience it to understand it. He said that beating Houston one-on-one is not something that this Shocker team can do. He thinks they know that now. He has to figure out how to help the Shocks get a great Shocks. One that they can make more than 30% and to recognize when a good shot is there and when it is not.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 18, 2020, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• This team has a shooting problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatWhiteBuffalo View Post
                  This team has a shooting problem.
                  Right now they have an effort problem. I feel like when shots don’t fall, every other aspect of the game suffers.

Comment

• This is the team we thought we would have this year. Mid-pack in the conference, displaying youth and inexperience.

Comment

• Take the high road, at least we have no bad losses. :)

Comment

• Wichita Eagles latest headline: Former Jayhawk Quentin Grimes helps hammer Wichita State in return to Kansas

Is it time to fire someone yet???

Comment

• Not that my judgement or analysis is any deeper than anyone else’s’ but I need to ruminate overnight

Comment

• Originally posted by N Crestway View Post
                            I honestly don't think that the coaching staff has ever has recovered from the loss of Chris Jans....he was somehow the perfect assistant/counter to Gregg Marshall. Now the question becomes whether or not Marshall can put it back together or let his ego get the best of him.
                            Jans wasn't on the sideline when the Shocks beat the Chickens. Nor was Cle Early. How'd that happen?

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
                              Wichita Eagles latest headline: Former Jayhawk Quentin Grimes helps hammer Wichita State in return to Kansas

This is the same jackass who wrote the midmajor article. I gave him a pass then, but I won’t now. It’s obvious this idiot has an agenda. I don’t have the time tonight to raise a fuss, But you can bet your ass he and his editor will hear from me. This time it won’t be an email.

I urge anyone who has a subscription to please cancel it and let them know why.
                              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
                                Wichita Eagles latest headline: Former Jayhawk Quentin Grimes helps hammer Wichita State in return to Kansas

NM
                                Last edited by Rocky Mountain Shock; January 18, 2020, 09:44 PM.
                                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Working...
                                X