No announcement yet.

Wichita State (#16) vs Houston Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was hoping we'd turn it around against Houston, but I had my concerns. There were several things working against us, including a short turn around from Temple (thus less preparation for us). Add extra time for Kelvin Sampson to game plan, and you have a bad recipe. (Side note: we're lucky he's there, cause he'll turn that program into a power, which is good for the conference) And finally, Coach seems to be alluding to some type of toxicity??? then here we are. Coach is owning up to it and wants to figure it out.

I hope the guys want to figure it out too. Cause it's FUN when you're playing together, and winning TOGETHER , because of EACH OTHER. Not any one person.

And maybe even fans can inadvertantly create a bit of toxicity? For instance, I have been saying Erik is the heart and soul of this team, but that is from my obviously extremely limited perspective. For all I know the team derives strength from somebody I can't even imagine?

So let me just say this to our stalwart Shockers: YOU ALL were creating a special season, and still can (will) TOGETHER. Get back to having fun, get healthy, get focused.

The guys just need to remember what got them there in the first place and problem solved. And I for one appreciate every damn one of you for the sweat you all give for this team, it wouldn't be such a great program if not for all, from the walk-ons to the Head Coach.

Comment

• After some time to process, and reading HCGM comments after the game, I think being ranked and in the national spotlight may have screwed with the players heads. I love being ranked as much as any of you! But I like deep runs in March WAY more!

These are good kids and special players, but something is up and I am glad Coach challenged them after the game. I know they are young. Time for them to grow up in a hurry. Counting on the coaching staff to right the ship. Positive vibes for a good trip to Florida, Go Shox!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

This is the same jackass who wrote the midmajor article. I gave him a pass then, but I won’t now. It’s obvious this idiot has an agenda. I don’t have the time tonight to raise a fuss, But you can bet your ass he and his editor will hear from me. This time it won’t be an email.

I urge anyone who has a subscription to please cancel it and let them know why.
        Why is this guy reporting on us in the first place? He’s tweeting on the game as if he is the lead reporter. He is annoying as hell. Go back to HS games and continue to do that poorly.

Comment

• Amazing how the verbiage has changed were quickly (even out of Coach’s mouth).

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Why is this guy reporting on us in the first place? He’s tweeting on the game as if he is the lead reporter. He is annoying as hell. Go back to HS games and continue to do that poorly.
            I guess the KC Star doesn’t care about their Wichita readership. Stuff like this makes it pretty clear. We don’t need a KU tie-in with every WSU article. The world doesn’t revolve the Chickens, which is probably taboo to say up north. Good riddance. I think Taylor does awesome work but I’m not renewing my sub when it’s up. The Eagle go eff off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

This is the same jackass who wrote the midmajor article. I gave him a pass then, but I won’t now. It’s obvious this idiot has an agenda. I don’t have the time tonight to raise a fuss, But you can bet your ass he and his editor will hear from me. This time it won’t be an email.

I urge anyone who has a subscription to please cancel it and let them know why.
              My latest email to the sports editor: JRosen@wichitaeagle.com

Do you edit anything? Your sorry excuse for a local paper uses Houston's win to write an article about KU with an inflammatory headline like that. If Wichita State had won the game would the headline have read; Shockers hammer former KU player Quinten Grimes and Houston. We both no that would never happen so why do you think it is OK the other way around? If you want to know what you can do with your Kansas City, NE KS, KU, bias feel free to ask and I will be glad to tell you.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                Our two best players today were probably NF and AM. Now, a few games before the conference started I warned
                that we needed to start playing two big men at the same time cause we were going to see teams where we needed
                it. GM did it for a minute or two at a time a couple games and that was it. Going into the season I thought our
                biggest weakness was at PF and I still believe it. Having said that, if we finally do start seeing a bigger lineup it
                has to be accompanied with more zone where the two big guys can play with their backs to the basket. AM was key
                in our turning last season around. I hear the laughs out there but he could be the key again this season. We will
                never know if he doesn't get some opportunity earlier. We play so many high ball screens but seldom get the ball
                to the screener coming off of it. Playing two big guys would probably force the defense to sag and play three down
                low to guard them leaving only two to guard our three on the perimeter. This would create much better perimeter
                looks. Then, when we go to a smaller line up we switch back to man and spread the court. Changing defenses also
                helps to disrupt the other team and we might find that one is working better than the other. Bottom line right now is
                Tuesday night's game is now critical to our season. We better come out with some intensity at the opening tip and
                never let up,
                Playing two bigs actually does the opposite. It clogs the lane and shrinks the floor. Playing smaller with more shooters on the floor spreads the floor giving the high ball screen a better chance of success. I thought AM was fine today but it was interesting that Houston changed the way they were guarding the ball screen as soon as AM came in the game. They started trapping the ballhandler and essentially ignored AM on the roll.

Comment

• We also need to get WAY better at feeding the roll. You essentially cripple pick and roll offense if the opponent knows 80% of the time you won't pass to the roller.

Am I wrong here??

What we need is our guards to get into the pick and roll, but use clever change of tempo and rythm to work the pocket as the big is rolling. Within the pocket, the guard can then step back for a shot, pull straight up, hit the roller for a dunk, or drive. But it's getting to that spot (and WORKING that pocket) which will really key our offense to explosiveness, then look out!

JB will be a good one to get this skill going, and I suspect also GS. Then I'd say ES and TE.

But start hitting the damn roller! Our bigs won't get better at it and neither will the guards unless we're actually doing it in game action.

Comment

• 1. I heard a few scattered boos. Hard to blame anybody.
                    2. Coach had a bad gameplan and stuck to it.
                    3, Fernandes drove into the paint 4 (I think) straight times. We got nobody else quick enough.
                    4. 3 games in a week, long plane rides, and playing guys 35 min a game give you THIS
                    5. How many dunks did we give up? Is that better than switching to zone??
                    6. We pass the ball around on the perimeter for 25 seconds and then finally jack up a 30 footer as the clock expires? That's selfish?
                    7. Coach won't show up for postgame and then blames the kids for the loss?? WTF ??
                    8. On the flipside, Coach did call a timeout. The game was over by then, but still.....
                    9. Did we really go 18 friggin minutes without scoring
                    10 Popcorn was good, though.

Comment

• Box score for the Houston Cougars vs. Wichita State Shockers NCAAM game from January 18, 2020 on ESPN. Includes all points, rebounds and steals stats.

Comment

• random thoughts...

1) sampson has marshall’s number.
                        2) three games in a week is a lot
                        3) got our asses kicked. check yo self and move on.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                          9. Did we really go 18 friggin minutes without scoring
                          We went from the 2:17 mark in the first half to 13:01 in the second half with ZERO points. 9 minutes 16 seconds without scoring at all.

IPBC made a jumper at the 6:21 mark in the first half and we didn't make another FG until Grant hit a 3 with 11:33 to go in the game, or 14 minutes and 48 seconds in between FGs. Tough to win doing that.

I'm not about to look it up, but I suspect those are both records under HCGM, if not the modern era of Shocker basketball. Frankly, it's stunning we didn't run of the gym by 30+

Comment

• I understand frustration. Booing our team is 100% unacceptable imho. Some people in my section (and 1 in the student section) get a pass tonight.

Boo the officials, fine. Boo the coach, fine. Do NOT boo the players.

Comment

• i don’t boo unless i see lack of effort. didn’t see that today.. the guys were trying but not enough togetherness.. and shots didn’t fall. it happens. move on.

Comment

• Why is there a debate about boo's? One thing about this fan base that has always bothered me is all the drama over stupid topics like when to boo. Grow the **** up. People paid money and took time out of their day to watch this **** show today. They are a young team so it's whatever, but don't tell people who paid the money and went to the game that they can't boo. This was bad all the way around. Eric Stevenson (leading scorer) wasn't involved in the 1st half, the entire team couldn't hit a free-throw. We kept running the same inside play and kepting getting stuffed 4 or 5 times. Just bad all the way around. Stop telling people what to do as far as booing goes. This fan base needs a drastic culture change

Comment

Working...
                                X