Ross McBurney - The McBurning Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ross McBurney - The McBurning Question

I have to admire the dogged determination of WstateU to keep the legacy of Ross McBurney alive and kicking. Hard to know how serious one our all-time great Shockernet humorists is about his Ross McBurney crusade so I thought I would start a discussion to see what everyone thinks plus it gives me a chance to educate myself a little on some Shocker history.

Ross, who is in the Shocker Hall of Fame played three seasons as a Shocker from 1926-1929. The 1926-27 school year was the first year as the Municipal University of Wichita. In 1926-27 the Shockers played in the KIAC (the predecessor to the current KCAC). In 1927-28 and 1927-29 they played in the CIC. They played primarily a mix of what are now Kansas NAIA schools and D-II programs. While the Shockers were generally successful at 49-14 during McBurney's 3 years they probably averaged about 35 points a game and played a total of 1 game against what is now an NCAA D-I program (Colorado). Definitely a different game and level back then. The Shocks played in the CIC through the 1939-40 season. Looks like they were not affiliated with a conference from 1940-41 through 1944-45 and did not field a team in 1943-44 due to WWII. The Shockers joined the MVC in the 1945-46 season. So the dividing line between between the modern era of Shocker basketball and the the previous era would seem to be WWII.

Ross was an AAU All-American in 1926-1929 after leading the Shockers to a 19-2 record and a 3rd place finish in the AAU Tournament. That All-American team consisted of 5 players. Ross, plus 3 players from Hillyard Chemical (St. Joeseph, Missouri) and a player from Ke-Nash-A (Kenosha, Wisconsin). He was also an AAU All-American in 1929 but that was as a member of the Wichita Henry's.

Clearly Ross McBurney was the best Shocker of the pre-war era and is recognized in the Shocker Halll of Fame. Does his jersey belong in the rafters? Well I guess if the only qualification is All-American status the answer would be yes. If the qualification is to be an All-American in the post-war modern era then the answer is no. BTW, I do not know of any such qualification although I don't know if anyone really knows what the standard is. I guess the question is should there be such a demarcation?

I guess another line of demarcation could be to only include players who played in the Roundhouse but if that was the case Cleo LIttleton would not qualify. His last year was the 1954-55 season. The Roundhouse opened in December 1955. The Roundhouse was called the House That Ralph Built but it was probably the House that Ralph and Cleo Built so no way you could deny Cleo.

So what do you all think ShockerNet. Should Ross McBurney be in the rafters or should it just live on as a ShockerNet meme?

Another question. Does anyone know of any living Shocker Fan who saw Ross McBurney play.

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
    Believe they made an error listing only 9 All-Americans... I’ll have to do some research, but I believe we’ve had 10. RIP Ross.
    You know what irritates me?

KU had a dude that played for them in the 20's named Arthur Ackerman (went by Tusten Ackerman). He was an All-American in the same pub and the same year, that Ross McBurney was. He went on to play AAU, just like McBurney. McBurney got 3 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS in AAU. Ackerman got zero.

Ackerman's jersey was retired and is hanging in the rafters of Allen Fieldhouse.

KU embraces their full tradition. WSU does not.

That irritates me.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

KU had a dude that played for them in the 20's named Arthur Ackerman (went by Tusten Ackerman). He was an All-American in the same pub and the same year, that Ross McBurney was. He went on to play AAU, just like McBurney. McBurney got 3 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS in AAU. Ackerman got zero.

Ackerman's jersey was retired and is hanging in the rafters of Allen Fieldhouse.

That irritates me.
      Preach on brother... my monkey a$$ gets red just thinking about it. I’ll pass on posting my red a$$ed monkey gif.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

That irritates me.
        Didn't know any of that about KU/Ackerman (why would I)(why would you?).

Nevertheless, we should be able to get some run on that with the athletic department. It's just about how to go about it. How to get it out there where a lot of Shocker fans know about it (and get upset) and make sure the athletic department knows it's out there getting circulating around (and fans upset about it).

Comment

Hang it, Ross deserves it and his accomplishments meet the criteria. Don’t do it at the same time with Ron and Fred, it should be at a separate ceremony.
          Ross was an All-American and deserves his place in the rafters with the other greats.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I feel there are two former players that should be the next two names hanging. My thoughts on why names should be selected are very simple "WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO IMPROVE OUR PROGRAM". The two obvious selections are FRED & RON.

Comment

Note that Ross McBurney was also a member of the 10-member 1927 Helms Foundation All-American Team. From 1905 to 1928 the Helms Athletic Foundation All-America teams are considered the "official" teams of those years by the NCAA.

Comment

McBurney was also a member of the Wichita East High School team that won the 1925 National Interscholastic Basketball Tournament in Chicago. By all accounts, and according to one of my grandmothers, McBurney was a great roundballer. He should already be in the rafters.
                "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Kung Wu can you bring over the 4 posts in the Memphis game thread regarding this topic? It starts with yours. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by B1ShockFan View Post
                    I feel there are two former players that should be the next two names hanging. My thoughts on why names should be selected are very simple "WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO IMPROVE OUR PROGRAM". The two obvious selections are FRED & RON.
                    This is a separate topic. Yes, Fred, probably Ron, and Cle should also have their day. Not for discussion on this thread.

Comment

I don’t have a dog in the fight either way, I just think WSU should retire “jerseys” and not “numbers”. Eventually, we’ll run out of jersey numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Didn't know any of that about KU/Ackerman (why would I)(why would you?).

Nevertheless, we should be able to get some run on that with the athletic department. It's just about how to go about it. How to get it out there where a lot of Shocker fans know about it (and get upset) and make sure the athletic department knows it's out there getting circulating around (and fans upset about it).
                        I know about Ackerman because I looked into McBurney once and saw all the All Americans on the list he was on. When I saw the Kansas guy I wanted to see if they retired his jersey ... and they did. That got me fired up.
                        Last edited by Kung Wu; August 26, 2021, 11:12 AM.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Hang it.

Fred, Ron, and probably Cle need theirs as well.

And yes to retiring jerseys, not numbers.
                          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

All-American and played on a F4 team. I think that should qualify by historic standards. Going forward, we might have to tighten the requirements a bit. Marshall could put a lot of jerseys in the rafters with those qualifications.

I'd suggest Jabali's jersey go up there too, but that's not up for discussion in this thread.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                            X