Ross McBurney - The McBurning Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
    Kung Wu can you bring over the 4 posts in the Memphis game thread regarding this topic? It starts with yours. Thanks.
    Later today, after choich!
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

When the 6'5 Center McBurney was at Wichita U, it was definitely a different time and I'm not sure we can accurately rectify the situation now. At that time, basketball wasn't a major thing as it is now. Many kids didn't play sports because they worked, etc. We played Southwestern, Washburn, and other schools and there was not a difference between NAIA and NCAA as there is now. I don't really have a problem with the committee doing this because they do the research necessary and would know whether this is merited.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
        When the 6'5 Center McBurney was at Wichita U, it was definitely a different time and I'm not sure we can accurately rectify the situation now. At that time, basketball wasn't a major thing as it is now. Many kids didn't play sports because they worked, etc. We played Southwestern, Washburn, and other schools and there was not a difference between NAIA and NCAA as there is now. I don't really have a problem with the committee doing this because they do the research necessary and would know whether this is merited.
        To me, the conference, the collegiate organization, and the opponents don’t matter. McBurney played for US. That’s enough to warrant consideration if he meets all the criteria, which is all-American status. He had that. He was the best player the program had seen in more than a generation. He had national success in his pro career.

Hang that jersey!!
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

This isn't even debatable honestly. It's just a matter of correcting a long overdue error.
          Last edited by Kung Wu; January 12, 2020, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
            He had national success in his pro career.
            !!
            AAU career wasn’t really a pro career. More like a semi pro career. Henrys, Vickers, etc. gave players jobs and travel time off for road games. Athletes just didn’t work on their craft like they do now. Often high schoolers on the farm or kids in the city had jobs and weren’t allowed to play by their parents because they couldn’t afford for them to. I really don’t care and have no skin in the game either but I think that it doesn’t equate to today. Just my opinion.

Comment

AAU career wasn’t really a pro career. More like a semi pro career. Henrys, Vickers, etc. gave players jobs and travel time off for road games. Athletes just didn’t work on their craft like they do now. Often high schoolers on the farm or kids in the city had jobs and weren’t allowed to play by their parents because they couldn’t afford for them to. I really don’t care and have no skin in the game either but I think that it doesn’t equate to today. Just my opinion.
              Just because the game "doesn't equate to today" means nothing. The game has continued to evolve decade after decade. It was what it was back then. McBurney was an All-American when compared to his peers. It is also, maybe most importantly, our long time basketball heritage.

Comment

We just disagree

Comment

Disagree about what?

Comment

We just disagree
                    So using your mindset, guys like Babe Ruth should be asked OUT of the HOF because they might not could play with today's players? Really?

Comment

Did you know Bobby Jones, one of the most famous golfers of all time, competed almost his entire career as an amateur? And they used wooden sticks back then! Golfers back then certainly didn't work on their craft like they do now.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        Did you know Bobby Jones, one of the most famous golfers of all time, competed almost his entire career as an amateur? And they used wooden sticks back then! Golfers back then certainly didn't work on their craft like they do now.
                        Wooden sticks. Back then. Has something changed?

Comment

Beer is good and people are crazy...
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

Wooden sticks. Back then. Has something changed?
                            Local guy in my new "home town" Canton GA. Designed the local golf course, amd until last year the Hospital was named Bob Jones. Torn down and a new one built which is named after the Hospital system that owns it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              Yes I did. Smart guy too.

https://shockernet.net/forum/miscell...4-2022-masters

Jack, Bobby, Tiger in that order…

Jones’ story is inspirational. Hot head and learned to control it, educated at G-Tech, Harvard, Emory

JD, Amateur. Quite the guy

Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius

Last edited by Veritas; July 29, 2022, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X