No announcement yet.

Wichita State at UConn Pre-Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we play harder than they do, get our share of loose balls and shoot north of 40% I like our chances. No doubt, they will
    be up for this game. I expect us to take some punches the first ten minutes and probably trail. I also expect them to extend
    their defense focusing on our shooting guards which should open up the paint some. Get the ball inside and let JE go to work.
    Shox 67-64

Comment

I remember how nervous I was for the very first Shocker American Conference game. We were ranked, heavily favored, and going into UConn’s house in front of a National TV audience. The hype was fantastic, just what all of us were hoping for with the move to the new conference. And man, I was so flippin’ mental the pucker factor was off the charts. I was sure we would lay a big ol’ egg. But whaddya know, the good guys lived up to all of our expectations.

Now, in no way am I comparing this team to that squad. But you know what? I’m starting to see what 3G sees. This team has built on last year’s end of season run and the new guys are a step above, talent wise, their second year teammates and are starting to see how Gregg expects them to play. There is literally no hero ball with this group. To me, that’s just one of the factors that makes us so damn good and very, very dangerous.

Our defense is getting better every game. We took Memphis completely out of what they wanted to do. UConn is not a great offense. Honestly, this shouldn’t be a close game, but this is still a young team so I expect it to be a close game. First team to 65 wins.

Comment

Surely we can put together a care package!

Comment

Might hit 65 in the first half the way Erik has been shooting
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

You only learn to win on the road by playing decent teams on the road. I'd rather begin with a UCONN than a Memphis or Houston the first conference road game. We will learn how to do road games whether we win or lose so I would rather learn while winning. Last year, we learned while losing, and I didn't care for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              This game is a good test for our guards. Bouknight is really good. Our big guys should have an advantage so long as they can stay on the court.
              If we go inside.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I know road games are hard, but how hard would it be to fly home after a loss with Stevenson on the plane with you? The flight from UConn is a lot longer than the flight from Memphis.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  I know road games are hard, but how hard would it be to fly home after a loss with Stevenson on the plane with you? The flight from UConn is a lot longer than the flight from Memphis.
                  They’re not coming home after the game. They’re bussing to Philadelphia afterward.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                    Dexter comes even further out of his shell and gets a double-double. Shocks win by 14.
                    If Dexter gets a double-double, we win by more than 14.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
                      I feel we win but in the 5-10 point range. Only second true road game and early on top of that. Hope there’s no hangover from the Memphis win, but we should be going in with a lot of confidence
                      When you take into account the timezone change, it's a really early game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        This game is a good test for our guards. Bouknight is really good. Our big guys should have an advantage so long as they can stay on the court.
                        I'm not sure our big guys will have that much, if any, advantage. UConn starts 6-11, 260 Jr. Josh Carlton (9.7 PPG, 6.5 RPG), 6-9, 204 Jr. Tyler Polley (9.5 PPG, 3.2 RPG) and 6-9, 193 Fr Akok Akok (6.7 PPG, 6.3 RPG). At least those guys have started all 15 games so far. 6-8, 220 Jr Isaiah Whaley (2.7 PPG, 2.9 RPG) has also played in all 15 UConn games averaging 12.5 MPG.

Polley is hitting 40.5% (30-74) on treys and is a 79.3% free throw shooter so he would seem to be a stretch 4. The other 3 guys are relatively poor free throw shooters.

Perhaps you have seen UConn play (I have not) and can better judge whether or not our bigs will have an advantage but at lease on paper I am not sure that is case.

Not sure whose guards are up for the bigger test. I think our guards stack up pretty well with about anybody in the conference. But again I have not seen UConn play.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 11, 2020, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                          Dexter comes even further out of his shell and gets a double-double. Shocks win by 14.
                          The Shocks just need for Dexter to guard and rebound like a demon, don't foul, take care of the ball and just let the offense come to him.

Comment

UConn knows this is the chance to save their season... This will be harder than the Memphis game IMO

Comment

We are basically at the half point in the season and the team has been getting better virtually every game. We are way ahead of where I thought we would be before the season started. Sure it is an away game against a pretty fair opponent, but thankfully we are not playing their girl's team. Looking for a tough game down to the wire.with the Shockers pulling away in the last three minutes.

Comment

Breakfast for Koreans = 66

Breakfast of Champions = 71

GO SHOCKERS!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X