Clear All

• Wichita State at UConn Pre-Game Discussion

Description: WICHITA STATE AT CONNECTICUT
    When: JAN 12 (SUN) 11:00 A.M.
    Where: HARTFORD, CONN. XL CENTER
    Radio: KEYN 103.7 FM https://keyn.radio.com/
    TV: CBS SPORTS NETWORK

Summary:
    As a team, UConn was picked sixth in the 12-team American Athletic Conference men’s basketball league. UConn senior guard Christian Vital and redshirt junior guard Alterique Gilbert were each named to the Preseason All-Conference Second Team. UConn announced in June of last year, that they would be leaving the AAC for the Big East in all sports after this completion of the 2019-20 academic year. Currently, the Connecticut Huskies (10-5, AAC 1-2) are ranked NET #85 and RPI #111 with a Q1 record of 0-1 and Q2 record of 2-3. UConn also has a Q4 loss against NET #223 Saint Joseph’s at home.

Odd Makers:
    Vegas: WSU by 1.5
    DRatings: WSU 80% by 8.0
    ESPN: UConn 62%
    INCCSTATS: WSU 59% by 3.0
    KenPom: WSU 55% by 2.0
    Massey: WSU 64% by 4.0
    Nolan: WSU by 4.0
    Sagarin: WSU by 4.7
    Torvik: WSU 71% by 5.0
    Wilson: WSU 71% by 7.0
    Shocks Win by 10+
    44.44%
    Shocks Win by 5+
    41.67%
    Shocks Win by 1+
    5.56%
    Toss Up - Could Go Either Way
    2.78%
    Shocks Lose by 1+
    1.39%
    Shocks Lose by 5+
    2.78%
    Shocks Lose by 10+
    1.39%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by WuShock Reaper; January 12, 2020, 10:53 AM. Reason: Updated Prediction Model

Early game and long trip after a big win. I think we win, but have to tough it out.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

One things for sure, no matter the outcome, we'll be holding UCONN back.

Comment

ESPN Matchup Predictor give us a 38.4% chance of winning. Really?

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
          ESPN Matchup Predictor give us a 38.4% chance of winning. Really?
          That uses their trash BPI rankings.

Anyone know if the team is flying out early to avoid travel issues?

Comment

For what it is worth, Haslametrics predicts an 8 point WSU win and Sagarin predicts a 5 point WSU win.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Dexter comes even further out of his shell and gets a double-double. Shocks win by 14.
              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Road games are hard. This team is still very young. And the tales of UConn's demise are being somewhat exaggerated.

Hope we bring the lunch pails and establish that this show can go on the road.

Road games are hard.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                  Dexter comes even further out of his shell and gets a double-double. Shocks win by 14.
                  I hope you are right. They pounded the shocks last year. We lost by 20 but the game seemed much worse. Also it came after the dreadful showing at USF where we scored like 47 something points I think. It was a bad road trip. Hope the guys remember and play well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                    Road games are hard. This team is still very young. And the tales of UConn's demise are being somewhat exaggerated.

Road games are hard.
                    I get it but any metric that would have us losing to UGone 6 or 7 times out of 10 is way off. Even at their barn.

Comment

I feel we win but in the 5-10 point range. Only second true road game and early on top of that. Hope there’s no hangover from the Memphis win, but we should be going in with a lot of confidence

Comment

I’m not saying we win but I’ve watched UCONN a few times this season and they looked like hot garbage. Road games are hard but a loss would be a gigantic letdown imo.

Comment

Road games on the east coast can be tough. Our depth is key to our 5 point victory.

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

I get it but any metric that would have us losing to UGone 6 or 7 times out of 10 is way off. Even at their barn.
                            I feel like you said you get it and then immediately demonstrated that you do not.

UConn is a borderline Q1, Tier A road game. Road games aren't just hard for overrated B10 teams. They are legitimately difficult to win against any team with a pulse for any team. Doesn't mean I don't think we have a good shot at doing it. Does mean I think it will be impressive if we do.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

Road games are hard.
                              I dunno, they don't look that good to me. 1-2 in the conference with a late push over Tulane at home for the win. I'm sure they'll get up for this game and carry the BIG EAST flag in their back pockets.

All that said, we've played 15 games so far and only 1 true road game 100 miles away in front of 3000 half-asleep fans. That's Duke-esque. We have played a LOT of ball in a comfortable environment so far. I think this team still has to prove who they are on the road. That's still an unknown IMO. I'm pretty nervous about this one. I could see it turning into an L and stopping our momentum-building climb in the polls. Hope I'm wrong.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                              X