Wichita State at UConn Pre-Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I dunno, they don't look that good to me. 1-2 in the conference with a late push over Tulane at home for the win. I'm sure they'll get up for this game and carry the BIG EAST flag in their back pockets.

All that said, we've played 15 games so far and only 1 true road game 100 miles away in front of 3000 half-asleep fans. That's Duke-esque. We have played a LOT of ball in a comfortable environment so far. I think this team still has to prove who they are on the road. That's still an unknown IMO. I'm pretty nervous about this one. I could see it turning into an L and stopping our momentum-building climb in the polls. Hope I'm wrong.
    I don't think UConn is particularly good based on what I've seen either. But I do think they have enough talent to beat just about anyone at home on any given night.

And the rest of your post is pretty much where I'm at. A core part of this group learned how to play on the road at the end of last season, so we're not starting from zero. But there are a lot of new guys on this roster as well, and as you mentioned they have played one 'road' game that sounded pretty close to neutral. I'm not down on our chances, I'm just not counting road chickens before they hatch. It's one of the last pieces this group has to go out and prove to demonstrate they are elite.

Comment

Wonder what type of crowd they will draw on a Sunday when school is still out?

Comment

The Boneyard is surprisingly very complimentary of 3G and the team in general. One poster wished we were going to the BE with them.

Comment

Comment

Anyone know what Pete Gillen was doing at the game last night?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              Anyone know what Pete Gillen was doing at the game last night?
              According to the article, he has been embedded with the team for the past week in preparation for the game Sunday. Sounds like it might be kinda cool.

Comment

Defense and rebounding travel. We are good at both of those things. That doesn’t guarantee anything but should keep us in most games. If we hit shots on any given night who knows what’ll happen.

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

According to the article, he has been embedded with the team for the past week in preparation for the game Sunday. Sounds like it might be kinda cool.
                  Sounds like one of those things that I might enjoy watching with not my team.

Comment

ESPN Matchup Predictor give us a 38.4% chance of winning. Really?
                    I originally had that wrong on the first Wichita State at UConn Pre-Game Discussion post i started, now corrected, I don't know enough about the ESPN BPI methodology, however here is what they say:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...rview/group/62

"College Basketball Power Index (Last Updated: January 10, 2020 at 2:45 AM CT)
                    The College Basketball Power Index (BPI) is a measure of team strength that is meant to be the best predictor of performance going forward. BPI represents how many points above or below average a team is. Strength of Record (SOR) is a measure of team accomplishment based on how difficult a team's W-L record is to achieve. Game predictions account for opponent strength, pace of play, site, travel distance, day's rest and altitude, and are used to simulate the season 10,000 times to produce season projections. Numbers update daily."

BPI #40 Wichita State
                    BPI #72 UConn

Comment

Gonna be tough, but we are best on the road. Look for Dex to be the hero!
                      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

While I watch a lot of ESPN I don’t always trust their use of NCAA analytics. They really push the power 5 mentality and would probably be happy if the so called P5 split from the NCAA. Would not surprise me if they weighted their BPI to favor teams and conferences that they make more money with. I know conspiracy theory.

Comment

Sorry, if I wasn't so lazy I could have gotten the info from reading the article. That just doesn't sound cool, it sounds epic. Thanks for the link!

Comment

I agree with Fever, this time.... I just have a bad vibe about this one

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Sorry, if I wasn't so lazy I could have gotten the info from reading the article. That just doesn't sound cool, it sounds epic. Thanks for the link!
                              Here ya go, Doc.

Comment

This game is a good test for our guards. Bouknight is really good. Our big guys should have an advantage so long as they can stay on the court.

Comment

Working...
                                X