No announcement yet.

"Wichita" Eagle calls Wichita State "Midmajor"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was it a mistake, ignorance, or intentional?

Im just not familiar enough with the guy to know.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I'm glad some folks emailed the sports editor. Too much protesting makes us look . . . a little mid-major.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        Was it a mistake, ignorance, or intentional?

Im just not familiar enough with the guy to know.
        I lean towards it being ignorance. It was really was a positive article in every way other than calling us a midmajor several times. My guess is that he looks at the world through P5 lenses and any school not in those conferences or the BE is labeled as a midmajor.

Comment

Originally posted by Napoleon Dynamite View Post

I lean towards it being ignorance. It was really was a positive article in every way other than calling us a midmajor several times. My guess is that he looks at the world through P5 lenses and any school not in those conferences or the BE is labeled as a midmajor.
          If it's ignorance, then maybe the Eagle shouldn't let the kid be doing big boy sports stories. It's really not too difficult to understand this concept and language, especially in this market. I mean the kid comes off looking like a complete fool and probably will never be respected in any future articles again. It seems like high school sports should be the limits of his coverage.

I mean the whole thing is a sham. Programs are either major/mid-major; not conferences. It's like saying Gonzaga is a mid-major but Rutgers is a major. LOL ya ok. Nope.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

If it's ignorance, then maybe the Eagle shouldn't let the kid be doing big boy sports stories. It's really not too difficult to understand this concept and language, especially in this market. I mean the kid comes off looking like a complete fool and probably will never be respected in any future articles again. It seems like high school sports should be the limits of his coverage.

I mean the whole thing is a sham. Programs are either major/mid-major; not conferences. It's like saying Gonzaga is a mid-major but Rutgers is a major. LOL ya ok. Nope.
            That sums it up nicely.

Comment

Comment

Shockernet: the only place where everyone can generally agree and still spend 7 pages arguing.

Comment

Although the corrected article is 1000% better than the original, it still struck me that the writer failed to mention the WSU win over VCU. VCU has the best NET ranking (a major tool that the basketball committee is using to evaluate wins and loses) of any team that WSU has beaten this year. VCU was also ranked in the coaches poll at the time WSU beat them. But I guess to this writer wearing the BCS colored glasses, it was not an important win.

Comment

It was ignorance not malicious.

Not sure where the writer is from. He was trying to write a positive article and ended up offending people. He looks very young. I bet he will not do it again. I’ll give him a pass this time.

The article goes through the editor correct? Wonder what his/her excuse is? They look worse in my opinion.

Comment

• Along this same line. I have stopped watching kwch news as they have moved Shocker reporting way behind KU. I know they recently hired a young lady who was the KU Jayhawk paper reporter until she just graduated so maybe she is influencing this. Just don't like the way we are now treated as a afterthought behind KU.

Comment

• Originally posted by sck41903 View Post
                        Along this same line. I have stopped watching kwch news as they have moved Shocker reporting way behind KU. I know they recently hired a young lady who was the KU Jayhawk paper reporter until she just graduated so maybe she is influencing this. Just don't like the way we are now treated as a afterthought behind KU.
                        Ever since Bruce left... poop.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post
                          It was ignorance not malicious.

Not sure where the writer is from. He was trying to write a positive article and ended up offending people. He looks very young. I bet he will not do it again. I’ll give him a pass this time.

The article goes through the editor correct? Wonder what his/her excuse is? They look worse in my opinion.
                          That's my take as well. The writer is young, inexperienced, and didn't know any better. But the editor missed the opportunity to teach him about his audience. Since the editor didn't do that, we did.
                          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by 12eagle View Post
                            Shockernet: the only place where everyone can generally agree and still spend 7 pages arguing.
                            I agree with your bullsh**.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

That's my take as well. The writer is young, inexperienced, and didn't know any better. But the editor missed the opportunity to teach him about his audience. Since the editor didn't do that, we did.
                              That's assuming there is even much of an editor left. I don't see a lot of bylines in the eagle anymore, and a lot of the old guard names are gone.

I quit getting the paper a while ago, at first due to delivery problems when they stopped printing in Wichita, then due to the general lack of fresh content. Dropping quality isn't a good recipe for a shrinking industry.

Comment

• Originally posted by sck41903 View Post
                                Along this same line. I have stopped watching kwch news as they have moved Shocker reporting way behind KU. I know they recently hired a young lady who was the KU Jayhawk paper reporter until she just graduated so maybe she is influencing this. Just don't like the way we are now treated as a afterthought behind KU.
                                Just a little tidbit here; I've been critical of KWCH coverage recently (see earlier in this thread) however, last night on Sports Sunday we were the featured team. Of course they started off with the Chiefs reports, but when it came to basketball, we got twice as much coverage as KU and K-State combined... it was like someone with KWCH had been reading Shockernet (surely not) and a
                                bright light went off somewhere in the KWCH studio. Maybe someone realized who was paying a good portion of the bills? Surely not Shocker fans?

I understand there are numerous Chiefs, KU and K-State fans in our community. Some of them are also WSU fans, so fair coverage of them is understandable. To me it's only common sense to give the local team a fair amount of coverage on a regular basis. Last night they probably went a little over board on the WSU women's game coverage. Unfortunately, our women's team hasn't earned it yet in my opinion... the score with a few highlights would have been sufficient.
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X