Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most ironic part of this article?
    ​​​​​​
    He refers to Wichita as a mid-major, then goes on to reference games vs "Power 6" conferences... Power 6 is a marketing term.... For football.... That includes the AAC....

So he needs to include our game vs ECU in those stats if he wants to use Power 6

Comment

Originally posted by Topshock View Post
      My email to Jeff Rosen:

Your reporter Mr. Barber referring to WSU as "Mid-major" is beyond unacceptable. This program has outgrown that derogatory label nationally and for the local paper to still try and apply it is absurd. It reeks of your Kansas City ownership along with the KU bias that accompanies it. This reporter should be fired or at the very least make a public apology for his gross disrespect.
      This was clearly stupid on Barber’s part, but really? We should take away someone’s livelihood for this?
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I believe the dude is not from Wichita originally and covers high school sports. There was no real insight or perspective gained from the article anyway.

I guess I appreciate the attempt at more coverage for the Shox, but a better understanding of the college hoops landscape and Wichita State's place in it should be required before articles with that tone are published. Calling WSU, Gonzaga, Memphis, etc "mid-major" is pretty ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
          The most ironic part of this article?
          ​​​​​​
          He refers to Wichita as a mid-major, then goes on to reference games vs "Power 6" conferences... Power 6 is a marketing term.... For football.... That includes the AAC....

So he needs to include our game vs ECU in those stats if he wants to use Power 6
          Maybe I’ll chalk this up to his ignorance rather than malice. I don’t have my pitchforks like others...a little extreme to want a guy fired for writing this.

Comment

There are Papers in the area that far surpass the Eagle on any level. Even this morning there is an explanation about not being able to get score of games that end after 7... this excuse of what the Eagle has become is, to me, Wichita’s biggest obstacle to being taken seriously as a city.
            Hayden is a good high school writer, but here he was way in over his head.

Comment

It would be interesting what the writer considers the criteria for "Mid-Major". Is it the conference affiliation because he refers to the Power 6 which I take to mean that includes the big east is a power conference. Taylor needs to take the young man aside and tell him how the cow eats the cabbage quicker than a cow patty heats up in a Texas summer sun

Comment

The last was in homage to a quote from I believe RDR many years ago

Comment

Barber is an Oklahoma State grad who wrote for Pistols Firing for several years. Draw from that what you will.
                  “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Read the Barber article again....it’s been changed.

Comment

Haven’t posted in awhile. Forgot my password and was too lazy to reset it.

Comment

Originally posted by wheathead View Post
                        Read the Barber article again....it’s been changed.
                        What's changed? I just perused it in the paper and the first paragraph still mentioned mid major accomplishments. I had already read it so I decided to forego another beating.

Comment

I read it on shockwaves app and it looks different.

Comment

The article has been changed. Any use of the word mid major has been removed. It feels like the whole article was redone, in fact, in a much less condescending tone. It's actually a pretty well done article now.

Thanks to all who were able to reach out to the Eagle.
                            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

A little surprised it was changed. I’m sure Barber was not expecting that feedback and probably was a) requested to make changes b) was told by higher-ups that the article was pissing off a lot of readers and it needs to be changed

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                                The article has been changed. Any use of the word mid major has been removed. It feels like the whole article was redone, in fact, in a much less condescending tone. It's actually a pretty well done article now.

Thanks to all who were able to reach out to the Eagle.
                                And lets take note of the four shocker netters that were more offended by my suggestion to the Eagle that an employee be held accountable for being bad at his job and making an incompetent stupid blunder which may or may not have been intended as a back handed slam on the Shockers. When my employees are incompetent, I personally fire them.

Comment

Working...
                                X