No announcement yet.

Last year vs. This year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kyle was the closest thing we had to a "go to" guy in the post last year. If we needed a scoring opportunity we could get it to him on the block and he'd either get a decent shot or get fouled. PT isn't that type of player. But his overall contributions of rebounding, athleticism, free-throw shooting and ability to hit the mid-range jumper have helped offset the loss of KW.

Comment

I was hoping Mantas would replace Kyle's game, and we still might see it this year.

He is so due to break out a 20 and 10.
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

I was thinking the same thing before the year started but I wanted to see Mantas get his minutes from the 3 more than from the 4. I still think that Mantas can be a solid inside/outside threat, he is just taking a little longer than I thought he would to adjust to the D-1 game. Will he play as well as Wilson? That remains to be seen; however, Mantas is starting to show signs of increased confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
          I was thinking the same thing before the year started but I wanted to see Mantas get his minutes from the 3 more than from the 4. I still think that Mantas can be a solid inside/outside threat, he is just taking a little longer than I thought he would to adjust to the D-1 game. Will he play as well as Wilson? That remains to be seen; however, Mantas is starting to show signs of increased confidence.
          Other than the win, my favorite part of the UAB game was that Mantas took 8 shots. He only made 3 (1 trey), but 8 shots tells me he is gaining confidence and trying to assert himself.

Comment

After HCGM took over the team from last year, along with some good recruits he quickly located to add with them for this year, I find myself appreciating his perception of the recruits he is now bringing in for next year. Won't it be nice to have tall but talented Twin Towers? Next, since we are presently in last place on 3 point percentage in the Valley, it was great to see the "lights out shooters" he is bringing in here next year.

Speaking of our dismal 3 point % thusfar, I have full confidence going into Valley play that we will improve upon that for sure. Our players can and will shoot better from the 3 as the Season progresses.
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by McShocker
              Originally posted by Maggie
              Other than the win, my favorite part of the UAB game was that Mantas took 8 shots. He only made 3 (1 trey), but 8 shots tells me he is gaining confidence and trying to assert himself.
              And even when they didn't go in, he didn't have that frustrated look on his face. Everyone in the stands was rooting for them to drop, and he knows that now...no one is bashing him. The support he is getting from the crowd while missing shots is motivating him to keep shooting...and when they start falling look out!!

Comment

This team has won seven games without getting "Hot". If this team gets "Hot" they are capable of 22+ wins this year.

No wonder KU doesn't want to play us.

Comment

I continue to believe it is going to be an up and down year. Despite the past two games, I don't think Marshall has the type of players he really needs to make his "system" successful. Therefore, I think consistency could be a problem going forward.

Notwithstanding, the players now seem to understand that they need to "win" all of Marshalls non-negotiables to have a chance to win each game. MB has stepped forward as a vocal leader, RC has the right attitude and PT and PJ are leading by example. If they continue to take pride in defense, hustle and aggressively box out – they will be a tough out.

I still want to see what happens when they face a "lesser" team. Do they bury this team (which they should do) or do they let them hang around thereby jeopardizing a victory. In terms of mental toughness, I think they took a step forward in the UAB game and that trend needs to continue.

Comment

The question being who is considered a lesser team? We lost to Monmouth and UMKC...

I think the we have to play harder and smarter because we are the lesser team approach works much better, and we have opened 15+ point leads on the last two we faced.

Comment

I would consider Monmouth and UMKC "lesser" teams, at least in how they are generally perceived. It is probably harder for the players to "get up" for UMKC than it is for LSU, for example. I am not saying that was the sole reason why they lost (it is clearly not) but it could have been a factor.

I agree with you that no matter who the opponent is WSU needs to be smarter and out work the opposition. I also think that the players are beginning to understand this. However, it is only human nature to get a little complacent against an opponent you do not "respect" because of the name on their jersey. Mentally tough teams do not fall into that trap.

It is easy to be the underdog (nothing to lose and everything to gain – no real pressure). I want to see how this team reacts when they are expected to win. I also want to see that "killer" instinct every game – they need to put teams away when they have the chance and put "lesser" teams away as soon as possible. The longer a weaker team stays in a game the more confidence they will have – hope in that situation is a very dangerous thing.

They put LSU away and they withstood a rally by UAB. All good signs but I need to see more before I think this team has established a true identity. They are talking a good game right now but the players actions on the court are all that matters. I am very pleased at the way WSU played the past two games – they showed they are maturing. I just hope the maturation continues, that's all.

Comment

Without having to go to classes, besides conditioning, I guess the players are shooting (on their own) after (formal) practices. With that guess, I then guess that the shooting average will be better.
                        A break between semesters is truly ... a blessing! :yahoo:

7:52 PM Dec 29, 2007
                        Sorry! My guess was way off !!! :(
                        Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

Working...
                        X