Last year vs. This year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last year vs. This year

I think that we have more talent this year than we did last year. Last year's team took us to a #8 ranking with road wins at George Mason, LSU and Syracuse before our mental toughness and team unity collapsed.

We could be very good this year. In fact, I think that we should be 10-1 right now.

Next Saturday nights game will tell us a lot. It will be interesting.

I can't wait for saturday and finally see some Valley play. Drake intrigues me. They've started off the season quite well and beat both of the "real" programs in Iowa. I have a hard time believing they'll maintain though.

Back to WSU though. I fully expect us to have a better record overall and in the Valley and to see some kind of post season play. Nothing against the guys that left last year as they were good and helped tremendously, but I do think there's more talent on this team this year. And some of it's quite young. When they start to come together even more it's going to be a sight to behold. We're already seeing signs of it.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I definitely think the team is tougher than last year. That can be the difference between winning and losing in the Valley.

Yes, they should have beaten UMKC and UTA, but those games were ones in which the toughness was lacking and the team paid the price for those in practice and that definitely helped prepare them for the LSU and UAB games.

The other thing that got my attention is that on the radio post game Coach Marshall talked about how everyone took 100 FT after practice yesterday while tired and hit like 85% as a team. Phil made 97 out of 100. Play good defense, rebound, and hit your free throws sounds like a good way to go all the way through St. Louis.

Comment

Sometimes it is not so much how you start a Season, but rather how you finish it. Remember last year? How could we forget that Charles Dickens gig? We started out as world beaters with a #8 ranking in the Country. The hype and National coverage on ESPN, etc. was good for our Program. Our local Media put perspectives of us being guaranteed a free ride to the Dance in the ole deep freeze much to premature. We as fans loved the early part of the ride only to witness an unpresidented nose dive here at WSU. The final result was no NIT and no Dance. Then came the exodus, and here we are.

Consistancy in basketball can be paramount. All in all, as we we begin our journey of Marching through the Valley of Death, I believe this team will be more consistant and have a better record than last year. Our inside game is clicking and I look for PJ to unleash in Valley play. Our 3 Seniors are a bright spot to lead us in this quest. A top 3-4 finish may be a tall order but I think we will be tenacious enough to do it. RC, AE, MG, GM, and JT will only get better. This team will be ferocious at home and I think consistant enough to get their fair share of wins on the cruel and inhospitable road games.
        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Realistically, I only expect us to win 55 to 60% of conference games, which is 9 or 10 out of 16.

There is lots of new talent in the league, and some of those 'Freshmen' are already clicking along, i.e., Creighton. SIU got 24 points off a bench player the other night. Young Korver and Stinnett are playing well.

UNI has Egsledger, 7'1", as a post this year. Not to mention 4 other new coaches chomping at the bits to do well in conference.

I do not think we are more talented than some other teams in the MVC, but we are becoming more 'SIU' like, and that hard work can pay big dividends to us.

If PT and JT and Ramon and Gris can keep us in the 50-60% range in the post for rebounds, putbacks, etc.. We will be okay. If they don't, we could be in trouble because some of these other teams have some hot hands.

These last 2 games were won because we dominated the post play even against taller, and sometimes more athletic opponent post players. I think Phil is out to 'redeem' hisself for the last half of last year, he is much tougher this season, and it shows.

Still would like to see Harris, Hatch, Richards, and Butler get a few minutes of play just to see how they could do.

Comment

i dont know about u SNAP, but I thought there were 18 conference games.
            ________
            Synthetic Weed
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

MVC Games

The WSU schedule shows there are 18 MVC games plus the Bracket buster game.

New Subject: WSU play

Various peoples comments about the Shockers play in the ingame thread last night included one person who said that Gal Mekel's positioning didn't look quite right. If they were referring to that 7 min stretch when WSU cudn't score in the 2nd half, GM talked about it after the game. UAB was in a 1-3-1 zone at the time. He said the problem came from the fact that when WSU's guards got into a position to make a pass, their teammates would not take a couple of steps forward to receive the pass. From what GM said, quite a few opponents are using the 1-3-1 zone now, so the Shocks need some more work in playing well against it.

In retrospect, Gal had 7 assists in the game which is pretty good. He also put in that final dagger 3 near the end of the game that really clinched it. But, most of all, Gall seems to have quit making TO's by palming the ball. Knock on wood.

I continue to be encouraged by the improving play from Mantas Griskenas. As for Aaron Ellis, I'm not sure what he was doing last night to pick up all the fouls so quickly. I'm not typically watching him when he fouls, but when I do, it seems hard to figure out the problem unless it is hand checking. Does anyone have any ideas on that one?

Comment

If we stay out of foul trouble and continue to improve our shooting, this team will suprise us! :goshocks: 8) 8)
                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Coaching has surely improved this year
                  Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234
                    Coaching has surely improved this year
                    :whistle:
                    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                    -John Wooden

Comment

Re: Last year vs. This year

Originally posted by Capitol Shock
                      I think that we have more talent this year than we did last year. Last year's team took us to a #8 ranking with road wins at George Mason, LSU and Syracuse before our mental toughness and team unity collapsed.

We could be very good this year. In fact, I think that we should be 10-1 right now.

I disagree on the talent issue. I'd take last year's talent over this years. Would you trade Griskenas for Kyle Wilson? I would take Kyle every day. Clemente and Ryan Bradley are in my mind interchangeable (not a knock on either).
                      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ol' Badass Balla
                        Originally posted by Capitol Shock

I disagree on the talent issue. I'd take last year's talent over this years. Would you trade Griskenas for Kyle Wilson? I would take Kyle every day. Clemente and Ryan Bradley are in my mind interchangeable (not a knock on either).
                        i would agree with ya on the Kyle for Grisk, but come on man, there is no way Ryan Bradley and clemente are interchangable. I assume you did watch ryan bradley play, because it was not pretty.
                        Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

I think he probably meant Ryan Martin instead of Ryan Bradley.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ol' Badass Balla
                            Clemente and Ryan Bradley are in my mind interchangeable (not a knock on either).
                            :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

My thoughts are that the combination of Gris, Ramone, Ellis and Durley produce more points, rebounds, steals and blocks than Martin, Wilson and Karon.

Not really a fair comparison...but I think this years top 9 / 10 players are better than last years top 9 / 10 players.

Comment

Working...
                              X