No announcement yet.

The Official Shocks vs. Temple Game Thread - Puerto Rican Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the BS between Stutz and the others that @shockerfanmas: mentioned? Sounds like Garrett was interviewed by Kennedy after the game, but what was said to lead to that statement? I've also seen some comments on MVCFans about it, but I'm not following as I missed it.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Nothing was said specifically about Stutz vs teammates, that was brought up by someone in this thread. Stutz said in the interview with Kennedy that the talk in the locker room was that players don't feel like they're a team like they did last year. Stutz said it's up to him as a senior leader to figure out a way to build that chemistry and bring the team together.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
        That was a disappointing loss. The Shockers still seem to have a mental block against "name" teams (barring last years NIT run). C'mon, coach, lets knock one of these teams down for once.. or twice. Sheesh..
        Agree, can we please just punch someone in the face in one of these games? Literally!!!

Comment

• I'm thinking Ede leaving has something to do with the chemistry issue. Lots of new faces on the team too.
          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• subgod22, I know about as much as you do, honestly, I'm just reading what I read in this topic. Apparently in the postgame GS called out some of his teammates, and there was some mention about in the past, at practice, some of the team members have laughed in his face and said some stuff to him. Take it for what its worth, could be serious, could be nothing.

Somebody that actually has the scoop and goes to practices that has seen anything can elaborate on this. Is GS just blowing stuff out of proportion or is there a legit issue that could affect team harmony?

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
              We tend to look bad early in the season. Maybe we need to stop playing in these tournaments because it's obviously not helping our cause anymore. It's not like our 2 losses were BAD losses, but they're still losses all the same. If we can't capitalize on these tournaments, I don't see the point.
              I'm just gonna pretend like I didn't read that abomination of a post.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfanmas View Post
                subgod22, I know about as much as you do, honestly, I'm just reading what I read in this topic. Apparently in the postgame GS called out some of his teammates, and there was some mention about in the past, at practice, some of the team members have laughed in his face and said some stuff to him. Take it for what its worth, could be serious, could be nothing.

Somebody that actually has the scoop and goes to practices that has seen anything can elaborate on this. Is GS just blowing stuff out of proportion or is there a legit issue that could affect team harmony?
                My guess is that Stutz is trying to be a vocal leader but that some of the team isn't following. Just speculation. I don't think GS clicks with several members of the team personality wise.

You could tell in the 3 games in PR that Garrett and Toure were on a mission. Smith probably as well, but he was just cold. Cotton and Hall exerted maximum effort too (though they have more to learn). The rest of the rotation played without purpose IMO which is indicative of team chemistry issues.

I will say that DK plays good D regardless of his offense. I wasn't sure that would ever be the case.
                Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by CARMAX View Post
                  people need to remember "it's not how you start, but how you finish"
                  Unfortunately, the Shocks are in a situation that "how they finish" or "how they must finish" can be and is greatly infuenced by "how they start". This start is not helpful, however, I do think we still have the time and opportunities to diminish the loss to Temple. Whether or not we are capable of delvering the goods when we have the chance remains to be seen.

When you lose a game the way we did with Temple there are so many ifs and buts and would ofs and could ofs and should ofs that we missed on that it makes you feel like we just gave one away.

I suppose the positive spin is that we took a decent Temple team to OT on a night when we couldn't throw it in the ocean from behind the arc or at the line. Our poor 3-point shooting was IMHO due in part to poor shot selection. Not sure what is going on with the free throw shooting. Garrett and Toure were a very good 8 of 9, but the rest of the team was horrible at 4 of 13 (30.8%). The shot selection issue, if that really was an issue and 3G may disagree that it was, is easily fixed. Hard to believe we are nearly that bad of a free throw shooting team. If we are we will lose some games we shouldn't otherwise lose.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 21, 2011, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    Unfortunately, the Shocks are in a situation that "how they finish" or "how they must finish" can be and is greatly infuenced by "how they start". This start is not helpful, however, I do think we still have the time and opportunities to diminish the loss to Temple. Whether or not we are capable of delvering the goods when we have he chance remains to be seen.

When you lose a game the way we did with Temple there are so many ifs and buts and would ofs and could ofs and should ofs that we missed on that it makes you feel like we just gave one away.

I suppose the positive spin is that we took a decent Temple team to OT on a night when we couldn't throw it in the ocean from behind the arc or at the line. Our poor 3-point shooting was IMHO due in part to poor shot selection. Not sure what is going on with the free throw shooting. Garrett and Toure were a very good 8 of 9, but the rest of the team was horrible at 4 of 13 (30.8%). The shot selection issue, if that really was an issue and 3G may disagree that it was, is easily fixed. Hard to believe we are nearly that bad of a free throw shooting team. If we are we will lose some games we shouldn't otherwise lose.
                    Well said.:pirate:
                    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                      I seem to recall we finished with a new banner in our arena. If we learn to shoot ft's and cut down on passing errors we will be ok:pirate:
                      kcshocker11, don't let facts ever get in the way of one of my posts...lol. Yes, the NIT banner last season was special. My comments were from a historical view over the course of years. I hope we can finish as a team late in the year better than we finished around the rim vs. Temple.

Comment

• I set myself up for letdowns every year, but then I get back up for the next goal that can be achieved by the team. Every year, I hope for an undefeated NCAA championship team; usually by game 3 I know that isn't going to happen, but then comes an early season tournament championship; that never seems to happen. Then it's undefeated OOC schedule, and that usually doesn't happen either. Then hope for an undefeated MVC run, but we know how that goes. Undefeated at home? Win the Valley tournament? So far, no go. Make it to the Dance? Not so long ago.

My point is, like the players, put the loss behind us and move on to the next slate of games. Besides each individual game, there are a lot of goals to go this season. I know the Shox won't go undefeated now, won't win the PR tournament, and might not win the classiest fan award for the PR tournament, but every other goal is still in front of them and attainable. I'm gonna stick to this line of thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                          Tell me you are not in _kai_'s camp suggesting to forego early season tourny's because we can't seem to win important games. To get any kind of respect, we are just going to have to persevere through the painful process.
                          Absolutely not. We need to be in these tournaments. First, it gives the program national exposure. Second, it gives the players an early test. Lastly, it gives the program a huge opportunity to get some high RPI wins they would normally not have a chance at getting due to scheduling difficulties with BCS programs. I'm just sick and tired of the Shox not representin' and wasting huge opportunities.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                            That was a disappointing loss. The Shockers still seem to have a mental block against "name" teams (barring last years NIT run). C'mon, coach, lets knock one of these teams down for once.. or twice. Sheesh..
                            ..and it all continues this Thursday vs. UAB. On the plus side, the Shockers are on the road TWICE before this year is over (at Tulsa and at bradley)!

Im disappointed just like everyone else on here about last night's loss, but there's still plenty of basketball to be played and many more quality teams to beat. We as fans need to put this game behind us and focus on cheering our Shox to victory these next home games.

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                              Absolutely not. We need to be in these tournaments. First, it gives the program national exposure. Second, it gives the players an early test. Lastly, it gives the program a huge opportunity to get some high RPI wins they would normally not have a chance at getting due to scheduling difficulties with BCS programs. I'm just sick and tired of the Shox not representin' and wasting huge opportunities.
                              . I totally agree...when we schedule creampuffs before the valley season begins-we are in a much deeper hole RPI and Resume wise for an at-large come tourney time.....it's still early and we need 2 pound the Blazers, Rebels and Aggies and we will be ready for the conference season with some much needed momentum...

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                                Bad officiating happens all the damn time. Even if credit is given in the loss to UCONN, one stinkin' game doesn't mean jack ****. Consistency is what this team is lacking year-end and year-out in these early pre-season tournaments.

Given the fact that the Shox cannot schedule mid-high to high tier D1 programs to do a non-con series with us, in addition to how badly the Valley has been, it is a must that the Shox cash in on their opportunities. I did some checking for the past decade. Essentially, all the wins the Shox earned in pre-season tournaments were against non BCS opponents.

2000-2001 did not participate
                                2001-2002 did not participate
                                2002-2003 did not participate
                                2003-2004 we went 2 and 1 in the Virgin Island Tourney and lost to Boston College
                                2004-2005 did not participate
                                2005-2006 we went 1 and 2 in the S. Padre Tourney losing to Illinois
                                2006-2007 we went 2 and 4 in the Holiday Classic Tourney losing to New Mexico and USC
                                2007-2008 we went 1 and 2 in the Paradise Jam and lost to Baylor
                                2008-2009 we went 1 and 2 in the Old Spice Classic and lost to Georgetown and Michigan St.
                                2009-2010 we went 3 and 1 in the CBE and lost to PITT
                                2010-2011 we went 2 and 1 in the Maui Classic and lost to UCONN

Since 2000, the Shox have gone 12 and 12 in early season tournaments with two of these twelve wins coming against BCS programs in Iowa and Virginia (who were unranked and had poor seasons later that year). 2 and 8 against BCS programs overall.

This is a trend. It places the Shox, when we are having a good season, having to play catch up and pretty much have to play perfect basketball in the MVC and rely on other teams for help at the end of the year in order for us to be considered for an at-large. It's frustrating not to see early success for the Shox and then being placed on the back burner.
                                Explain to me again what Turgeon's performance with long gone players has anything to do with the present, again?

HC3GM has been rebuilding and once somewhat loaded we lost to the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS UConn and beat Virginia last year. This year we beat Colorado and lost to a very good Alabama. That's 2-2 against BCS since Marshall has rebuilt. Falling flat against Temple sucked.

So what? What would you do differently based on the performance against Temple? Whats the conclusion from your own research?
                                Last edited by Kung Wu; November 21, 2011, 07:48 PM.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X