No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs Oklahoma Pre-Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oklahoma basketball: Sooners, Shockers square off Saturday - FanSided Sports

by Chip Rouse
    posted: 12/13/19, 8:45am cst

"When men’s Oklahoma basketball returns to action on Saturday after a nine-day absence, it will mark a homecoming of sorts for Sooner leading scorer Austin Reaves....

Prediction: Oklahoma 72, Wichita State 67".

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
      Not if we can't even fill up (or close to fill up) IBA when we play teams like OU, and we used to fill it up when we played Tennessee, Utah, etc, all the time.
      1) Tournament games don't have to be sold out to be a success from the conference's standpoint.

2) Tournament games are generally far more exciting than a single event.

3) Are you sure we "used to fill [IBA] up ... all the time"?
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Tournament in Wichita won't happen. Flights are a disaster and no reason to visit beyond the games. Only plus would be ticket sales in WSU bracket. The tournament needs to be in major metros. They could have it every year in Ft Worth for all I care.
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
          Tournament in Wichita won't happen. Flights are a disaster and no reason to visit beyond the games. Only plus would be ticket sales in WSU bracket. The tournament needs to be in major metros. They could have it every year in Ft Worth for all I care.
          But ... but ... cow town.

Seems to me it should be rotated to keep the destination fresh, and possibly rotate it based on recent success? I think the local economies of teams putting forth the effort to field a successful squad should get rewarded.

Comment

• 12 big things about Big 12 basketball, Week 6 — The league is top heavy; Tech back on track - American-Statesman (Austin,Texas)

By Joe Harrington, Staff Writer
            Posted December 13th, 2019

https://www.hookem.com/story/12-big-...ch-back-track/

"Oklahoma at Wichita State, 5 p.m., Saturday, ESPN2 - The Shockers went to Stillwater and won by 19. OSU is No. 40 at Kenpom and Oklahoma is No. 42, so the Sooners have their work cutout for them. Make matters worse, this will be one of the biggest home games WSU will host all season and I expect the “Gregg Marshall is still a great coach” buzz to continue. For the Sooners, you don’t want to ever apologize for wins, but they’ve played up and down all year by surviving games against William & Mary and North Texas but are also 3-1 against Power 5 schools. WSU isn’t ranked, so OU has still yet to play an AP Top 25 squad, but they have played a top 100 Kenpom non-conference slate (No. 83).

Still, I think WSU, 8-1 and ranked No. 39 at Kenpom, is better.

My pick: WSU"

Comment

• Well we have a new bandwagon. I think I'll jump on the new bandwagon too and stop going to Shocker games.

Comment

• JHC!! Would some of you like some cheese with your whine??

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                  Tournament in Wichita won't happen. Flights are a disaster and no reason to visit beyond the games. Only plus would be ticket sales in WSU bracket. The tournament needs to be in major metros. They could have it every year in Ft Worth for all I care.
                  I have to ask. If a fan of either team is visiting and reading this, my apologies. If some SN fan is upset, my apologies. If the AAC Tourney is in Memphis or Ft. Worth, can someone give me 5-10 "things to do". I hear this phrase ALL THE TIME. What is it that makes Memphis or Ft Worth so special? 5-10 things. Each place.

Is OKC, St. Louis or KC thought of as major Metro? Other than big crowds leaving the arena to go to their $5-$25 parking area or hotel, none were really any different for me than being here, except they have a lot more free parking. I think all too often, when my kids would say "there's nothing to do" what they mean is there's nothing "new" to do. Is that what it is, or are there really that many things different?

Comment

• RH: “We Had to Believe in Each Other"

The Texas Southern game provided one marker in the season. The Shockers had six assists and shot a season-low 24.2 percent from the field. That game provided a strategic turning point, demonstrating the value of unselfishness and running the offense to get the best possible shot as often as possible.

The loss to West Virginia demonstrated how focus and determination are also required. The Shockers shot 30.6 percent in that game and again finished with six assists.

Tyson Etienne is a primary beneficiary of improved offensive execution.

It's no coincidence that Wichita State's big leaps came after extended practice time. They had a week in between the Texas Southern game and their next outing. After losing to West Virginia, they had another week off before a warmup game against Central Arkansas and then two more days to prepare before playing Oklahoma State.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Not if we can't even fill up (or close to fill up) IBA when we play teams like OU, and we used to fill it up when we played Tennessee, Utah, etc, all the time. Local OU fans will probably have most of the walk up crowd.

I'd doubt we have much of a case to have the AAC tourney there if we are no longer able to fill up the arena for these types of teams.
                      When this began, IBA was shiny and new. Now we have all been there, done that, and we all realize IBA is not perfect. In addition, it used to be impossible to attend Shocker games unless you had season tickets. That is no longer the case as hundreds of tickets to Koch are available on Stubhub every game, pretty cheap.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker(1) View Post
                        If the AAC Tourney is in Memphis or Ft. Worth, can someone give me 5-10 "things to do". ... What is it that makes Memphis or Ft Worth so special? 5-10 things.
                        Ft. Worth area off the top of my head:

LegoLand for the little tikes
                        Fun little aquarium for the little tikes
                        Deep Ellum for the older tikes
                        Go see the JFK museum
                        Dallas Cowboys stadium tour
                        Some seriously fun shopping in every direction of the compass and all ages
                        Ruth's Chris steakhouse among 50 other eateries that don't exist in Wichita

That's off the top of my head but I am betting I could Google at least 20 other fun things to do for all ages in the Dalla/Ft. Worth area.

I haven't stayed in Memphis for any length of time. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that makes it special over Wichita other than a KILLER blues scene.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

10k plus would still be 2-3k more than what showed up in memphis ... And let's not even talk about the year before in Orlando ....
                          You beat me to it. The past few years of the AAC tourney haven't yielded packed houses. In fact, there were some games I thought I was watching Arch Madness, which, TBH, the last few years we were kings the crowds were pretty decent.

The problem with having the tournament in Wichita is the distance for the other schools. Having a central location allows for greater fan participation. And let's face it, I don't believe any other AAC fan base travels like Shocker Nation.

Comment

• all you need is enough bars, restaurants and hotel rooms to accommodate everyone, that's pretty much what everyone does on these types of trips

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Go see the JFK museum

That's off the top of my head but I am betting I could Google at least 20 other fun things to do for all ages in the Dalla/Ft. Worth area.

I haven't stayed in Memphis for any length of time. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that makes it special over Wichita other than a KILLER blues scene.
                              Sun Studios and Elvis mansion

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Go see the JFK museum

Love LEGOS, even as an adult. How much is parking at the JFK museum? LOL. My son hadn't seen the OKC Memorial and parking there is just $illy. Can you imagine if it cost $$ to park at Exploration Place? Or the Wichita Art Museum? Or the Zoo? Hate football. Haven't watched a football game in probably 20 years. Don't have any plans to revisit the game either - funny how my kids grew up with family always watching football, and after the CTE thing, they can't stand the sport. Cowboys are awful. And Jerry Jones may be football's equivalent of James Dolan at this point. So.....food. And music. I will say that I wish Wichita had a decent place to go dancing that wasn't a Country Western bar or pop music bar. Anyone ever go to the Over 28 Club in Wichita many years ago? Sorry to hijack the thread everyone. Resume your KU basketball and Bill Self discussions.

Comment

Working...
                                X