Wichita St. vs. Temple Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita St. vs. Temple Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Obviously yesterday sucked. There is a lot to improve on and I'm sure the guys are happy to have a chance to get back on the court quickly after that loss. We need to get Garrett involved earlier and he needs to stay out of foul trouble. Our guards need to be smarter with the ball and play under control. We need to force turnovers and run, because we are most effective when we are creating offense with our defense.

Things to know about Temple:
    1. They are only 6-7 guys deep. Their two main bench guys played a lot more yesterday than they had the first 2 games.
    2. Their guards have decent size and they have more of a true center type. This is the size of their starting line-up: 6'4", 6'4", 6'4", 6'6", 6'11"
    3. Micheal Eric, their 6'11" center, is from Lagos, Nigeria. Wonder if EO knows him?
    4. They receive 90% of their scoring from their starting line-up, which is not surprising since they aren't deep.
    5. They are guard oriented, their 2 lowest scoring starters are their PF and C.
    6. They are experienced. Their starting line-up has 3 seniors and 2 juniors.
    7. They aren't much a 3-point shooting team. Ramon Moore, their highest scorer (19 ppg), has the best 3-pt % on the team at 43%. However, he has only made 6 all year. They have 3 other players shooting 33% each from 3. Those 3 have combined to make 10 3's all year.

Ways that WSU should attack:
    1. Rags needs to penetrate. Using his quickness to get around taller guards and get in the lane. This will: draw fouls, open up kick outs, get the big men open, or lead to lay-ups.
    2. Feed Garrett. Their tallest player, after 6'11" Eric, is their 6'6" starting PF. If we can get Eric in foul trouble early we will be in very good shape.
    3. Get out and run the floor. They aren't deep and we need to use this to our advantage. Wear them down and win it in the second half.
    4. Have our experienced guards show up. We can't turn the ball over a bunch. DK and DW need to show up. Hit a couple shots, play within the offense and take care of the ball.
    5. Win the rebounding battle. This team isn't big in the post. I think The Beast could have a big game on the offensive glass, and get a lot of points on put-backs.

Prediction: Temple has averaged 73 ppg and given up 69 ppg so far. I think the first team to 70 wins. WSU 74 - Owls 68.

This matchup looks like a coin flip to me. Two good teams from "meh" conferences with a lot to play for.

I think it comes down to who wins the battle between Stutz and Eric. Applying the new GoShockers89 litmus test for whether we will beat a good team- If Garrett scores 12+, we get 'er done. I think he'll get 14 in this one.

Shockers 70,
    Owls 68

Comment

Im gonna say we lose this one. Refs are to quick to call fouls on garrett. What we need last game was someone to body up green, and gs can't do that if he is on the bench. WSU loses by 5
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

2 - 1 finish to this tourney will be satisfying. However, with the poor play last night, combined with the knuckleheads chanting "N.I.T", and Temple having two awesome guards who are going to dribble drive us to death getting the frontcourt players into foul trouble equals an 8 point loss for the Shox.

Despite what ABC might think, (and he keeps ignoring my challenge to find one post on SN where I celebrated a Shocker loss), nothing would make me more happy than seeing a Shocker victory tonight over a name brand program.

Can we get a little bit of good news? Shocker spirit has been hit hard with last night's loss, hearing those clueless fans chanting "N.I.T", and learning of the car accident involving WSU ballplayers.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
          2 - 1 finish to this tourney will be satisfying. However, with the poor play last night, combined with the knuckleheads chanting "N.I.T", and Temple having two awesome guards who are going to dribble drive us to death getting the frontcourt players into foul trouble equals an 8 point loss for the Shox.

Despite what ABC might think, (and he keeps ignoring my challenge to find one post on SN where I celebrated a Shocker loss), nothing would make me more happy than seeing a Shocker victory tonight over a name brand program.

Can we get a little bit of good news? Shocker spirit has been hit hard with last night's loss, hearing those clueless fans chanting "N.I.T", and learning of the car accident involving WSU ballplayers.
          News flash, the game is tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
            Im gonna say we lose this one. Refs are to quick to call fouls on garrett. What we need last game was someone to body up green, and gs can't do that if he is on the bench. WSU loses by 5
            Temple doesn't have a Green. They will beat us with guard play, not post play. Maybe we go with that zone again? Temple doesn't shoot the 3 ball very well and it could help us avoid a lot of guard penetration. Also, it keeps Garrett from matching up one-on-one with a big man to easily draw fouls.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post

KC, it's a bit insulting to lump stupid fans and poor game play in with physical harm that may end the career of 1 if not both young men, to say nothing of the unspeakable tragedy at OSU with WSU ties.

Comment

Tomorrow needs to be a day of redemption for our fans and our team. Nothing in competition infuriates me more than negative cheering and nothing makes you look more immature and petty than being a poor loser. Just shut your pie hole and wear it for crying out loud.

I thought the team and the coaches did a good job of wearing it last night after the game.

It's time for the fans to step up and act like the team acts. Redemption Sunday.

Now, I didn't expect to beat Alabama but I thought they could if they played well but that didn't happen. If the guys play with purpose and confidence I still believe they're on par with Alabama. We have strengths they don't have and vice versa, but we're past that for now. Learn and move on. Up next Temple.

Good team, tough team, well coached and they'll be around in March.

That being said, I believe this team is going to make a statement tomorrow. A big time statement. Shocks win, impressively.

Comment

I predict that THE BEAST goes off tomorrow. If 3G calls me tonite (it would be the first), I will suggest it. Dwill and DK need to park it on the bench and TM and The Beast should start.

Shox 68
                  Temple 59

Comment

Judging by the way our offense has been so far this tournament, I'll be surprised if we even get to 70 points. I haven't really seen Temple play yet, so I don't know what they bring to the table, but I would be mildly shocked with a win tomorrow.

If the Shox play like they have played so far this tournament, we lose by 10.

If the Shox figure out what a real offense is, then we win.

Comment

Originally posted by moshock View Post
                      I predict that THE BEAST goes off tomorrow. If 3G calls me tonite (it would be the first), I will suggest it. Dwill and DK need to park it on the bench and TM and The Beast should start.

Shox 68
                      Temple 59
                      It seemed to me yesterday that the "Beast" had position at times and the guards were content to ignore him and pass it around the perimeter.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                        It seemed to me yesterday that the "Beast" had position at times and the guards were content to ignore him and pass it around the perimeter.
                        Absolutely. There were numerous times that we could have tried to get the ball inside and did not.

Comment

Well said Doc.

Go Shocks!!!!
                          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

As the good doctor mentioned our fans need to grow up. I went to a Texas A&M football game years ago with a group of friends. We were representing the visiting team which walked out with a win over a stunned crowd. I was amazed at how well we were treated before and after the game.

I like WSU in the third place game. One of our two guards will step up....

DK needs to get back to basics: tough d, taking care of the ball, and feeding the post. Those things lead to the rest of the team playing in rhythm...

Comment

Shox- 65
                              Owls - 81

Comment

Working...
                              X