Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SB Shock
    Originally posted by shockerfanmas
    I think the officials did blow the 5th foul on Vaden. I didn't see the play, but I did listen to it on the radio
    Your offering an opinion on a foul you didn't see...That's hilarious. Did you happen to stay at a holiday inn express.
    SB,
    Funniest quote of the topic. And... accurate too. 8)
    Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by ICT Ragman
      thats not the line.
      I disagree.

Are you a big E.E. cummings fan ?

I am done.
      I certainly hope you're not insinuating a penchant for the avant garde :lol:
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Heckling Mike about being fired is pretty personal IMO... and im not a fan of that. On the other hand.. Mike responding like that is not good either.

Clapping for the opposing team after a game will never happen at WSU. Too many fans (mostly students) would boo them no matter what. Im not a fan of our student section (and some other schools sections).. the booing when a team enters the floor is what really annoys me.. but they are what they are.

As for the refs... I really wish the whole arena of fans would take a chill pill someday. I still would say we have some of the worst fans regarding always being on the refs... the way people were acting the refs were what brought UAB back into the game and it was really our complaceny on offense. I listened to the LSU game on the radio the other night on the plane and I would put our arena at the top of other games and arenas I have heard in the booing department... you could hear tons of booing after nearly ever whistle against us. It just gets a little sick that whenever the team does something wrong it's always the refs.

Comment

I understand what you are saying about the refs, but anytime the fouls are 10 to 3 in the second half, you are going to have the perception of inequity in officiating. Yep, UAB was trying to go to the hole at that time and we were not, but.....

Comment

yelling at the coach about being fired is easy and not particularly clever. these students hopefully possess some degree of wit and originality. yelling "you got fired" not too clever, what's next "you're fat" or the favorite of the late night wal-mart crowd "you suck". you people are in college, raise the bar.
            Unleash Brett Burley, let all tremble before him!!!

Comment

You could have known the reffing was not that great at the end of the game, when UAB was actually TRYING to foul us and the refs were still hesitating to call it...

Comment

I got it:

"Hey you, coach of our opponents, I don't think you are as good of a coach as ours, so here we are yelling at you!"

And to the players:

"Hey you, opponents of our team, you are not very good, and you missed that shot, so we dare you to take another one!"

You know, even for college kids, that's too long, and would probably have everyone asking "what did they say?"

It's the same in almost every arena at almost every type of game, the "YOU STILL SUCK!!" and "SOMETHING PERSONAL TO TICK YOU OFF!!" chants are always there.

I remember at a Thunder game there was Tulsa player named Lawerence that we used to give a lot of grief too. When he started cussing and reaching at a fan who said "you skate like michael jackson". He got a beer dumped on him, the fan got ejected, and the player finished the game. It didn't matter that Lawrence was trying to reach over glass to get to him. There is a separation, and the fans are kept back at a certain distance. Fans can say what they want, as long as it is not profane, they are the ones buying the ticket.

Same applies here. I played sports, up to college level (not DI), and guess what: It shouldn't bother you. If it does, prove them wrong and shut them up. Especially if it is true. Guess what...MIKE DAVIS GOT FIRED!! No one, including him, can refute that. Someone can give me all the grief they want about a past job, it won't bother me because it's in the PAST!

Comment

Originally posted by shockdawg
                  yelling at the coach about being fired is easy and not particularly clever. these students hopefully possess some degree of wit and originality. yelling "you got fired" not too clever, what's next "you're fat" or the favorite of the late night wal-mart crowd "you suck". you people are in college, raise the bar.
                  Yes, we are in college. Unfortunately, it's kinda hard to get a crowd of even 50 to do anything complex simultaneously...

We'd love to raise the bar, but let's face it, it's a whole hell of a lot easier to get 50 students chanting "YOU GOT FIRED!" than it is to get 50 students chanting, "YOU GOT TERMINATED FROM YOUR LAST COACHING POSITION FOR POOR COACH-PLAYER RELATIONS!"
                  Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
                  Students > Alumni
                  If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
                  The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
                    I understand what you are saying about the refs, but anytime the fouls are 10 to 3 in the second half, you are going to have the perception of inequity in officiating. Yep, UAB was trying to go to the hole at that time and we were not, but.....
                    Pin,
                    We hear it all the time about inequality in the foul totals. However, it has little to do with the game and the manner in how we call it. Players commit fouls, not officials. We call the obvious and do it consistently. If one team is more aggressive and commits fouls, they are called.
                    I had a game where one team stayed in a 2-3 zone the entire game and the other was pressing for 40 minutes. Guess what? In one half the pressing team had 13 fouls called against them and the zoning team had 2. According to the logic of some on here, we stunk the place up because the fouls weren't "even."
                    We go by a simple edict - we don't count them, we just call them. 8)

Comment

Pin,
                      Just for you, I'll take it one step farther with a story.
                      I was working a game and the fouls were 9-3. While standing next to the the HC with 9 team fouls, he says, "(my name) they only have 3 fouls and we've got 9. What's going on here?" I looked at him out the corner of my eye and asked "Coach, what are you trying to tell me?" I also gave him the 'be careful with your response' look. He got the point and replied "I am trying to tell you we need to stop #### fouling these guys." We both just looked at each other and smiled.
                      As mentioned, players commit fouls, not officials. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by ShockRef
                        Pin,
                        Just for you, I'll take it one step farther with a story.
                        I was working a game and the fouls were 9-3. While standing next to the the HC with 9 team fouls, he says, "(my name) they only have 3 fouls and we've got 9. What's going on here?" I looked at him out the corner of my eye and asked "Coach, what are you trying to tell me?" I also gave him the 'be careful with your response' look. He got the point and replied "I am trying to tell you we need to stop F*&@ing fouling these guys." We both just looked at each other and smiled.
                        As mentioned, players commit fouls, not officials. 8)
                        Problem with your little story is that UAB was hacking WSU as much as WSU was hacking them (if that's what you want to call what WSU did). It was UAB who turned up the pressure on WSU. 2nd, the refs had an aversion to calling the traveling calls against UAB until late in the game.

Comment

I understand your point, but surely you realize the crowd will be more likely to boo the officials in that 10-3 scenario. That's what I was trying to say. Also I think we go back to the "hot button" thing. The grabbing and shoving 30 feet out was not called on UAB much. Nor was the traveling, as SB said. Probably had we been traveling and mugging 30 feet out, it coulda gone uncalled as well, dunno.

Comment

The one time where I thought Davis should of been T'd up was when it appeared as if he was doing some quick lunges at an official he had just yelled at. What I'm speaking of are the kind you see people do before they get into a fight to cause their opponent to flinch. It was at this time his assistants ran out and held him back.

That had "T" written all over it, but it was never called.

Whether you like what the students were saying or not, his profanity laden response is in NO WAY reasonable for a paid professional at the level Davis is supposedly at.

And be it the students' chants, the calls the officials were making, or his team just getting beat, Davis ceased being a coach down the stretch and became a total crybaby. He'd rarely be in his team's huddles during timeouts, but rather roaming the court stalking officials.

Incidentally, at the end of the game, Davis went up and halfheartedly shook Marshall's hand, immediately turning to his right to chew out UAB's #1 (can't remember his name off hand), not an official or Gal.

I came away from the game thinking that maybe D-1 coaching just isn't for Mike.
                            The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

I remember at a Thunder game there .....
                              I kind of hope our students aim a bit higher than minor league hockey crowds.

I certainly hope you're not insinuating a penchant for the avant garde
                              Not at all - just a comment on my man's punctuation and paragraphing tendencies.

Comment

A few years ago, I went to a K-State-Colorado football game in Boulder. The CU band played "The Low Brass Cheer" and then in unison 50,000 people chanted:

"F**k 'EM UP!
                                F**k 'EM UP!
                                GO CU!!!

The enitre stadium did it. 50,000 people. I'm not advocating we do such a thing, but I do think this gives some perspective on WSU student chanting and how we pale in comaparasion (thankfully) on what goes on elsewhere.

Story #2:
                                In the late 1980's, I went to Manhattan to watch WSU-KSU play at Ahearn. For 40 minutes, everytime Guffrovich caught the ball, all of the KSU students chanted "A**HOLE! A**HOLE! A**HOLE!

Some of you guys need to get out more. I'm all for a witty student section, but you need to ask yourself how we get treated on the road. I didn't see any Colorado or KSU fans handing out milk and cookies.
                                Egotism is the anesthetic of stupidity.

Comment

Working...
                                X