No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. South Carolina Pre-Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are a better team than the Cocks, but unless we play great defense, rebound and let our offense come to us, we don’t win. We really should win this game but I definitely see it going either way. That ORU game couldn’t have come at a better time in my mind and I’m sure 3G will use a lot of that game tape to illustrate how we can win by controlling the boards and not forcing shots.

I was surprised by our turnovers yesterday but I think you can point to the way ORU played stingy defense more than overall sloppy play although there was a bit of that as well. I’m still encouraged by the fact we’re winning games despite Dexter’s offensive struggles. Once he finds his shot, we’re going to be sneaky dangerous, especially if JB continues his stellar play. Man, what a gem that kid is!

The bench is getting a little shorter now and it will be interesting to see how the minutes are distributed in Mexico. I’m hoping the freshmen see some court time but much of that obviously is dependent on how well they’re playing. Sherfield has struggled the last few games so I’d love to see him settle down a bit and take better care of the ball. ETN seems to be the sharpshooter as advertised and Noah looks to be recovered but neither saw much time on the court yesterday, especially in the second half. D Gordon all but disappeared yesterday. I suspect we may not see much of him in Mexico.

Comment

I think Noah is "recovered" but I do not think he is totally caught up yet. You don't miss two months of practice and get back to where you were this quickly. I doubt that he is back to where he was when he went down with his injury. But that is hard to tell for sure with nothing really to compare to. That said there are only so many minutes to go around.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        I think Noah is "recovered" but I do not think he is totally caught up yet. You don't miss two months of practice and get back to where you were this quickly. I doubt that he is back to where he was when he went down with his injury. But that is hard to tell for sure with nothing really to compare to. That said there are only so many minutes to go around.
        I expected to see him in the second half, and thought we needed him

Comment

Defense and depth. You saw yesterday Mo and IC struggle right off the bat. GM went to AM immediately, a couple good screens
          resulted in two straight baskets and he added a blocked shot. Shox settled in. Mo and JE settled in. The point is we have depth at
          all positions. IC and DD can support the four spot. When one player is struggling a little GM has the luxury of subbing. A
          different center will probably appear better from game to game. All are "serviceable" and depending on the opponent each are
          capable of good games. Nothing needs to be said about the depth of our perimeter - no worries. We lose if we only have a C or
          below game and SC has a B or higher. I believe we win if we at least bring a B game or above. Shox 71-66

Comment

One of USC's key starters, Keyshawn Bryant who averaged 9 ppg last year, is a key injury for them at the moment. He played in their exhibition opener but cartilage damage behind the knee cap was found and he's been out ever since. His projected recovery time is 4 to 6 weeks, and Frank Martin is hoping it's closer to 4 which would place him close to being ready for our game. Obviously USC will be a tougher opponent with him back, we'll see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Durtymofo20 View Post
              I expect GS to start all season unless injured goes to complete ****. Marshall didn't bring him here to sit, plus what happens at practice we don't see.
              I don't think HCGM brings in anyone here to sit. I think GS is starting with a group of more experienced players while JB comes in behind him to help lead players that are not as experienced. Also, GS does some of his best work when JB is with him at the 3.

JB is very close in assists per game to GS, but has played 20% fewer minutes per game. No way I expect JB to continue his shooting %s, but right now, those %s are a long way ahead of GS.

Comment

I would venture a guess and say Vegas will have us as 4 point favorites to open up.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Didn't realize Seventh Woods was on their roster.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I don't think HCGM brings in anyone here to sit. I think GS is starting with a group of more experienced players while JB comes in behind him to help lead players that are not as experienced. Also, GS does some of his best work when JB is with him at the 3.

JB is very close in assists per game to GS, but has played 20% fewer minutes per game. No way I expect JB to continue his shooting %s, but right now, those %s are a long way ahead of GS.

I LIKE IT! Kinda like a Lou Williams deal but not as talented,( Lou should be an all star). I like bringing in Burton off bench usually he will have a tired opponent, or second stringer.

That first basket GS made was beautiful dont know if 3G or GS called that but he got what he wanted with the rotation. He exploded and kept ball away from Lufile like he had been doing it for years. Udeze I believe it was made a good screen to make Lufile rotate.

Our bench isn't to far behind starters just need more consistent play.... from everybody

Comment

Originally posted by shocksrbest View Post
                      Didn't realize Seventh Woods was on their roster.
                      Yep!. A 4* recruit. Wasted 3 years at North Carolina then transferred to SC. Must sit this year.
                      Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

Souls will be devoured
                        The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Comment

Given SC's lackluster play against Gardner-Webb, I think we have this game in the bag.

That being said, why did we choose to have the Oral Roberts game on Saturday afternoon? A Tuesday/Wednesday slate of games that means a lot to our NCAA tourney at large bid hopes, and we decide to schedule a buy game for Saturday afternoon? Sounds like a lot of work for our guys that may be unnecessary, especially considering travel.

Anyways, Shox got this.
                          "Say it slowly and savor it..."
                          Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

Once upon a time ago, I thought this is where HC3GM would bolt to if a spot ever opened up. Man that feels like an eternity ago.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              Once upon a time ago, I thought this is where HC3GM would bolt to if a spot ever opened up. Man that feels like an eternity ago.
                              South Carolina is truly a toilet hole end-game basketball job. Martin got his Final Four run but they haven't capitalized off of it and have been nothing before or after that fluky year. And I believe Frank Martin is a hell of a coach. Just goes to show some places aren't made for winning even for the best of them (unless you count 1 fluky final four, and 7 years of non-relevance winning).
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by T.VuOP View Post

Yep!. A 4* recruit. Wasted 3 years at North Carolina then transferred to SC. Must sit this year.
                                one would seem to think that he could have had a better run in wichita or anywhere else for that matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X