Official Wichita State vs UT-Martin Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Our 3rd best PG had 6 Assists. Today he had 5 TO’s but I think this last number is an anomaly. JB shot well today from 3. JB has often had a good mid range shot. If JB continues to shoot it from deep he’s going to play lots of minutes at the 3 and 1. We definitely have 3 talented PG’s but I’m not ready to predict who will be 1-3 at that position yet. Besides I’m not sure it matters because they will all play.
    5 TO's yesterday makes how many in 3 games?

I ain't worried at all about Sherfield. Plays the point much more naturally than some who have been forced into that position over the last several years. His size and shooting make him a versatile weapon to have on the floor for GGG to move around.

Assuming no player leaves, our guard rotation in 2 years will be very fun to watch.
    Last edited by ShockingButTrue; November 17, 2019, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• It’s not like this board has issues with recency bias or anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Two problems with this, the first is having two big guys on the floor, the second even if you did put out two bigs, who are you going to sit down. The other players are too good to sit down just to have a taller player on the floor.
        Jaime has to be one of the big guys playing at the same time because his skill set is different than the others. There are practices where he is our best three point shooter. He’s our best rim protector too. Not something we would do too often, I agree, but it gives us a very confounding dimension if you can have someone play the 4 and help the 5 inside with defense rotating off his man.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

5 TO's yesterday makes how many in 3 games?

I ain't worried at all about Sherfield. Plays the point much more naturally than some who have been forced into that position over the last several years. His size and shooting make him a versatile weapon to have on the floor for GGG to move around.

Assuming no player leaves, our guard rotation in 2 years will be very fun to watch.
          Our guard rotation is fun to watch now! It might take the national media a year to join in.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• I think Burton is probably the best PG for WSU on this date. He just does a lot to make the score go the right way.

But, I think Burton and WSU have higher ceilings if the freshmen can take a lot of those minutes. I think of Burton as the high floor option. Fernandes and Sherfield are the lower floor, higher ceiling options. It's a great situation to have, as Burton has another, potentially even more natural position that he can slide over to and still find minutes to help the team. So, there's no real danger of chemistry issues with him losing minutes. At the same time, it's nice to have a guy that you can sub in on the 2nd play of the game if one of your freshmen makes a couple dumb plays.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
              One more thing on Sherfield and then I will shut up. In Fred’s first 88 minutes (7 games) as a freshman he had 11 assists and 9 TOs. He was 1-4 from 3, 6-15 from 2, 9-12 FT and scored 24 total points.

Sherfield, in 84 minutes has 12 assists, 9 TOs, 0-7 from 3, 9-19 from 2, 13-16 FT and scored 31.
              Plus Sherfield played point guard in a game where shooters basically missed every open look they had in a game. That game should just be seen as an outlier from an assists perspective.

Comment

• I think Sherfield is going to be a wonderful player. The direction of this thread is not exactly what I intended.

Comment

• Right now, JB runs the offense and GS makes plays as the shot clock winds down. It will take time, but that will change for GS. He is already so much better than the Exhibition game and all the dribbling. TSU had that pesky guard who really played hard on ball defense that disrupted our natural flow and GS struggled with it, though not making turnovers. Can't wait to see NF get comfortable and rotate these guys routinely. I wonder how NF holds up when posted up by the opponent, though.
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• The good news is that we have 3 PGs that all have different strengths. We can mix and match depending on the opponent, just like we do with post play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      The good news is that we have 3 PGs that all have different strengths. We can mix and match depending on the opponent, just like we do with post play.
                      And situations.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

Plus Sherfield played point guard in a game where shooters basically missed every open look they had in a game. That game should just be seen as an outlier from an assists perspective.
                        Sht GS played 32 minutes and shot 1 for 10 from the field had zero assist and 3 ****** turnover. Other players missing shots was not the only problem in that game. GS was also part of the problem.

Comment

• This sounds a little emotional (I would agree though that GS was one of several problems) for what happened. I hope we aren’t beginning another haters(for lack of a better word) group for local players. SHJ and Evan Wessell also had to go through it to some degree prior to Evan being the KU win hero. I don’t remember that happening during the Karl Papke, Antoine Carr, Aubrey Sherrod era.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                            This sounds a little emotional (I would agree though that GS was one of several problems) for what happened. I hope we aren’t beginning another haters(for lack of a better word) group for local players. SHJ and Evan Wessell also had to go through it to some degree prior to Evan being the KU win hero. I don’t remember that happening during the Karl Papke, Antoine Carr, Aubrey Sherrod era.
                            Nope no hate at all to GS. And I really do support the Wichita players that play for the shocks. Love me some Evan Wessel. But when looking at a game you have to tell the truth. The shocks got lucky in that game because Texas Southern made silly fouls at the end of the game and our boys made the free throws. GS played a terrible floor game and could not guard the Texas Southern point guard. This was truly game where we needed JB. ES saved us in that game.

Comment

• Sherfield also went 11-14 from the FT line making 8 of 8 in final 5 minutes. The rest of his game was indeed sh!t.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

• I think it was Gregg who noted that Tx. Southern made it difficult to run our offense (Coach Randy Peele knew our offense )which begins with entry passes to the wings ( which they overplayed those passes). Experience does help when an offense has to operate outside the system and our execution (all of our new players executed set plays poorly) of set plays is poor. JB could have been the answer In that particular game but he couldn’t play and Noah wasn’t quite ready to play lots of minutes because of his injury. Inside we weren’t very good either and if not for Dexter and more so Eric, we would have lost. But most of our team didn’t execute, not just Sherfield. With experience, he and Noah will be very good point guards.

JB is a very good player who can play multiple positions at a high level. He has very few weaknesses and is a very good defender of multiple positions. While he showed a very good shooting touch from deep in our last game, I’m not sure JB is a prototype PG. we will see if he is our starting PG or not by Jan. 1 imo.

Comment

Working...
                                X