Official Wichita State vs UT-Martin Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    You could make an argument that Udeze/Chandler/Mitgaard is a better three headed monster than Lufile/Coleby/Carter. So I can see Cdizzle’s point. Throw our best post player JE in the mix and our post play is superior than our undefeated team. Our Final 4 team was Hall and Orukpe, hard to compare those guys since they were both sorta unorthodox centers.
    The upside for our current rotation is there. Lufile, Colby, and Carter were senior, senior, junior. We are sophomore, sophomore, junior.
    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      Burton and Fernandes offer two extremes at PG for their defender(ds). Burton is big and physical and can wear defenders down with his size. Then bring in Fernandes and let that defender try to keep up with him.

Our two-headed monster at PG might be a good combo to "cut off the head of the snake" of our opponents.
      Sherfield is in between those two defensively...strong with quick hands. He’s also better at creating his own shot. The five TOs were BAD, but I still felt like he was a good freshman PG with a high ceiling.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Sherfield is the third option at point? Since when?

Sherfield is buried pretty deep on the bench? Huh?

Am I taking crazy pills?
        Not exactly, but Noah is a natural PG. Burton kinda made himself into one. Sherfield is not a natural PG. That's not to say that he won't become one, but Fernandes is different.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Sherfield is the third option at point? Since when?

Sherfield is buried pretty deep on the bench? Huh?

Am I taking crazy pills?
          Have to agree with you here. He started all three games. Yes JB and NF have been hobbled, but he’s a very good PG and I put it at better than 50% that he starts again in game 4. JB was terrible in the few minutes he played in the opener. He was fantastic yesterday. Sherfield is still ahead of Noah for sure, and someone has to back up Dennis. So far, it looks like Burton instead of Stevenson.
          Livin the dream

Comment

Since Saturday, November 17

He's obviously behind Burton at PG

The team has a total of 24 Turnovers. Sherfield has 9 of those. Sherfield is 0/7 from 3 for the season.
            I don’t think Sherfield is obviously behind Burton just because Burton had a career game.

Sherfield has played 84 minutes on the season, second only to Dennis. Burton and Fernandes have played a combined 52. The fact that the team is at a record setting pace on lack of TOs doesn’t mean that Sherfield is third string. Also, don’t let the 0-7 fool yeah. More than half of those were as the shot clock was expiring. Kids a great shooter.

My prediction is that Sherfield starts the majority of the year with Burton and Fernandes splitting the back up duties. JB also plays 10-15 on the wing, effectively giving us two PGs on the floor for a good chunk of the game.
            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Not exactly, but Noah is a natural PG. Burton kinda made himself into one. Sherfield is not a natural PG. That's not to say that he won't become one, but Fernandes is different.
              He is absolutely a natural PG. That’s what he played at SCA and AAU. In Texas HS basketball he split PG/SG duties. They had a quick 5-6 kid that played a lot of point on that team. Has he played off ball at all this year?
              Livin the dream

Comment

If none of the current group go league early (I figure at least Dex will have a shot) before then, in fall 2021 I’m booking tickets and travel to the 2022 Final 4. Would say 2021 if Echenique were somehow around for another year.

Comment

One more thing on Sherfield and then I will shut up. In Fred’s first 88 minutes (7 games) as a freshman he had 11 assists and 9 TOs. He was 1-4 from 3, 6-15 from 2, 9-12 FT and scored 24 total points.

Sherfield, in 84 minutes has 12 assists, 9 TOs, 0-7 from 3, 9-19 from 2, 13-16 FT and scored 31.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Since Saturday, November 17

He's obviously behind Burton at PG, and Fernandes is getting back into playing form.
                    Obviously? Not enough of a sample size to make this conclusion. It'll probably work it's way out by the time we play conference games but we only have 2 games for Sherfield, 2 games for Noah, and 1 game for Burton. Coach Marshall probably has practice time to help him know more but he doesn't even know for sure right now how it'll shake out. Give it time.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      I want to see Jamie not only because he's our best big O and D but to see what we're like with 2 big guys on the floor at once. Poor Bear and Mo were for just a tiny bit today but not enough to matter.
                      Two problems with this, the first is having two big guys on the floor, the second even if you did put out two bigs, who are you going to sit down. The other players are too good to sit down just to have a taller player on the floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Two problems with this, the first is having two big guys on the floor, the second even if you did put out two bigs, who are you going to sit down. The other players are too good to sit down just to have a taller player on the floor.
                        If I understand your question it would be that we play one of the 5's at the 4. One of the bigs would complement a much shorter Wade as a back up at the 4 so Gordon would be the player to get fewer minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

First, two bigs isn’t a problem if one of them is setting perimeter picks or waiting for a perimeter 3. For instance, Memphis, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, UNC, all start 2 players 6-9 or taller.

Second, Doc isn’t insinuating that Wade watches the game from the sidelines or moves exclusively to the three. He’s saying we start Wade and Echenique, but the rotation would sometimes have JE and IPBC or JE and MU or JE and AM.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                            Sherfield has regressed from the beginning of the season. He's a Fr. Good Fr tend to have good games and bad games. We have a name for Fr who have substantially more bad games than good games. We call them "transfers". So far Sherfield has had more good games than bad games and I expect that to continue, but he's in an awkward spot for PT. It appears he's the 3rd option at two positions. Almost scary to think we've got a guy with that much talent buried pretty deep on the bench. Gonna be interesting watching him challenge for PT. He's capable of doing that and probably will.

Then there's Etienne. He has progressed from the beginning of the season. I think he's going to be the "X factor" going into Cancun. Opponents are going to have to cover him on the perimeter. Since that hasn't happened yet, there's no scout on his ability to drive past a defender.

Even with the shooting woes we've seen so far this season, there is some good news.

Here's some 3FG shooting stats

Burton - 66.7%. He's likely to be defended on the perimeter in Cancun.
                            Dennis - 44.4%. No surprise there. Plus, he's added handles to drive if he's defended tight.
                            Wade - 50%. Add a stretch 4 into the shooting mix.
                            Etienne - 44.4%. Reminds me of Murry in the way you don't notice all his stats until you see the stat sheet.
                            Sherfield - 00.0%. That's going to earn him a spot on the sidelines right beside Midtgaard.

Those stats were achieved against some lightweights, but the Shox are hitting open 3's. They're getting entry passes to the posts and as soon as they figure out how to get open 3's off of that, there will be open 3's. They weren't hitting open 3's last year.
                            What are you talking about? Sherfield is ultra talented and will get nothing but better.

Comment

• Originally posted by top20shock View Post

What are you talking about? Sherfield is ultra talented and will get nothing but better.
                              And when was the last time you saw a freshman PG start over last years PG and have such a command over the offense? Granted, it’s not what they were running Fred’s SR year but it’s still no cake walk. Once he adjusts to the talent level he is playing against, he’ll be fine.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I recall Fred as a freshmen. It wasn’t until the Tulsa game (game 7) that he really stood out and started making plays. Give these guys time, they’re still learning their roles and how to play D1 ball.

Comment

Working...
                                X