Official Wichita State vs UT-Martin Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    You could make an argument that Udeze/Chandler/Mitgaard is a better three headed monster than Lufile/Coleby/Carter. So I can see Cdizzle’s point. Throw our best post player JE in the mix and our post play is superior than our undefeated team. Our Final 4 team was Hall and Orukpe, hard to compare those guys since they were both sorta unorthodox centers.
    I could argue Carter being better (more talent and skill) than our current big 3, but when you throw JE in the mix it’s a different ballgame.
    Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

I want to see Jamie not only because he's our best big O and D but to see what we're like with 2 big guys on the floor at once. Poor Bear and Mo were for just a tiny bit today but not enough to matter.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

We are in good shape when the “third best PG” is averaging 10 points and 4 assists as a freshman.
        Our 3rd best PG had 6 Assists. Today he had 5 TO’s but I think this last number is an anomaly. JB shot well today from 3. JB has often had a good mid range shot. If JB continues to shoot it from deep he’s going to play lots of minutes at the 3 and 1. We definitely have 3 talented PG’s but I’m not ready to predict who will be 1-3 at that position yet. Besides I’m not sure it matters because they will all play.
        Last edited by Shockm; November 16, 2019, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Burton and Fernandes offer two extremes at PG for their defender(ds). Burton is big and physical and can wear defenders down with his size. Then bring in Fernandes and let that defender try to keep up with him.

Our two-headed monster at PG might be a good combo to "cut off the head of the snake" of our opponents.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Our 3rd best PG had 6 Assists. Today he had 5 TO’s but I think this last number is an anomaly. JB shot well today from 3. JB has often had a good mid range shot. If JB continues to shoot it from deep he’s going to play lots of minutes at the 3 and 1. We definitely have 3 talented PG’s but I’m not ready to predict who will be 1-3 at that position yet. Besides I’m not sure it matters because they will all play.
            Burton was. 40% non-3 pt Fg% last year
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

Burton was. 40% non-3 pt Fg% last year
              Can you tell me what his shooting percentage was the last 10 games or was when he was open? His free throw shooting and shooting from 15’ was good when he was open. The problem was that they often sagged off of him and didn’t allow him to drive or get open from mid-range.

Comment

Experiencing my first Shocker game as an official member of ShockerNet has made this a very special day. I would like to say thank you to the Board, investors, high level admins, even the moderators and all of the posters sharing their insight and wisdoM.

It was a very good game and one that brought many smiles. I wonder if we are really that good as we played today or was it the level of our competitors? I think it has to be a mixture of 50/50 for both.. I think due to our youth that it will be up and down level of play for the next few weeks. However, by the time that 2020 rings in we will rise to a level of consistent, very good play. It was nice to see JB back on the gymnasium floor. And he had a very good day. I think I like him a lot. Looking forward to the day JE laces up his sneakers again.

Best regards to all and thank you for this special day,
                Napoleon Dynamite

"Yes… yes… yes!”

Comment

Well hopefully they can build from this performance. They needed it, fans needed it. Yes we were wide open but hell we missed wide open ones this whole short season and into last year. Just continue to improve its a long season.

Comment

Sherfield has regressed from the beginning of the season. He's a Fr. Good Fr tend to have good games and bad games. We have a name for Fr who have substantially more bad games than good games. We call them "transfers". So far Sherfield has had more good games than bad games and I expect that to continue, but he's in an awkward spot for PT. It appears he's the 3rd option at two positions. Almost scary to think we've got a guy with that much talent buried pretty deep on the bench. Gonna be interesting watching him challenge for PT. He's capable of doing that and probably will.

Then there's Etienne. He has progressed from the beginning of the season. I think he's going to be the "X factor" going into Cancun. Opponents are going to have to cover him on the perimeter. Since that hasn't happened yet, there's no scout on his ability to drive past a defender.

Even with the shooting woes we've seen so far this season, there is some good news.

Here's some 3FG shooting stats

Burton - 66.7%. He's likely to be defended on the perimeter in Cancun.
                    Dennis - 44.4%. No surprise there. Plus, he's added handles to drive if he's defended tight.
                    Wade - 50%. Add a stretch 4 into the shooting mix.
                    Etienne - 44.4%. Reminds me of Murry in the way you don't notice all his stats until you see the stat sheet.
                    Sherfield - 00.0%. That's going to earn him a spot on the sidelines right beside Midtgaard.

Those stats were achieved against some lightweights, but the Shox are hitting open 3's. They're getting entry passes to the posts and as soon as they figure out how to get open 3's off of that, there will be open 3's. They weren't hitting open 3's last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                      Sherfield has regressed from the beginning of the season. He's a Fr. Good Fr tend to have good games and bad games. We have a name for Fr who have substantially more bad games than good games. We call them "transfers". So far Sherfield has had more good games than bad games and I expect that to continue, but he's in an awkward spot for PT. It appears he's the 3rd option at two positions. Almost scary to think we've got a guy with that much talent buried pretty deep on the bench. Gonna be interesting watching him challenge for PT. He's capable of doing that and probably will.
                      Sherfield is the third option at point? Since when?

Sherfield is buried pretty deep on the bench? Huh?

Am I taking crazy pills?

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                        I'm hardly the person that goes ga-ga over offensive shooting percentages in the box score. You see awful, I see pieces we haven't had since 2016. Young, inexperienced pieces. But also some young and experienced pieces.
                        Exactly, the skill sets of the pieces are exciting. The new guys just don’t have many obvious holes in their games... they all defend, pass, dribble, and shoot at an average or “plus” level.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Sherfield is the third option at point? Since when?

Sherfield is buried pretty deep on the bench? Huh?

Am I taking crazy pills?
                          Since Saturday, November 17

He's obviously behind Burton at PG, and Fernandes is getting back into playing form. Etienne is looking like the best option to back Stevenson at SG. That leaves Sherfield with the appearance of being the 3rd option at PG and the 3rd option at SG. That's pretty deep on the bench.

The team has a total of 24 Turnovers. Sherfield has 9 of those. Sherfield is 0/7 from 3 for the season.

I believe Sherfield has the potential to be an all-conference player. That puts me in the odd position of believing that, as of today, we have a potential all-conference player with two other players on the team ahead of him at the two positions he can play.

Comment

What I didn't care for with Sheffield in the game were the two lazy passes he made that were stolen. Not so much for the passes, but that he seemed to just let the guy go without even an attempt to defend. I expect shocker players to hussle back and at least get in the way. Maybe it was just me.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

This, for sure.

He has the potential to be a Wessel type of a pick setter...

Evan.jpg

... anything's possible.
                              Totally agree. He will get it going soon I hope. He must learn to consistently finish stronger.. Go shocks.

Comment

On another note, the shocks got a lot of good guards on this team. I have never seen a shocker team with so many. They all can shoot and dribble. Playing time will have to be earned. Two things that will reduce your playing time will be the failure to play defense and making turnovers. That's just the way it is. Go shocks. A BAND OF BROTHERS
                                Last edited by TheShocktocles; November 17, 2019, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X