No announcement yet.

Official Wichita State vs UT-Martin Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box score for the Wichita State Shockers vs. UT Martin Skyhawks NCAAM game from November 16, 2019 on ESPN. Includes all points, rebounds and steals stats.

Comment

AM started slow last year. He will come on again giving us the luxury of playing IC some at four when JE gets back.

Comment

Quotables: UT Martin Postgame

Comment

RH: Shockers Show Some Love

Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall heard his team talk about family and brotherhood. He told them to show it on Saturday against UT Martin.

"This week, we talked about the definition of love and how love has no selfishness in it," freshman guard Noah Fernandes said. "We always talk about how we love each other. Coach (Marshall) was saying he didn't believe it because of how we were playing."

The Shockers looked like a team that gets along really, really well in Saturday's 103-62 win over UT Martin at Koch Arena. They replaced the sluggish, dribble-heavy, bad-shot offense of the past two games with moving, screening and passing to the tune of 29 assists on their 40 baskets.

"You saw our guys share the basketball," Marshall said. "Less one-on-one, I'm going to play hero ball. The results were incredible."

Wichita State's big men did their part to make the offense click with screening, strong post-ups and hustle to set up good position. That helped the Shockers produce their best inside-out attacks of the young season.

Comment

Burton played the most minutes with 22
            Livin the dream

Comment

JB is our Swiss Army Knife. Defends, passes well, rebounds and has improved his shooting. The score goes the right way when he is in there.
              Last edited by shoxlax; November 16, 2019, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                3. Noah and JB are better points, right now,, than Sherfield.
                We are in good shape when the “third best PG” is averaging 10 points and 4 assists as a freshman.
                Livin the dream

Comment

Welp, the Shox did what they were supposed to do shooting better than 50% in all categories. If we had shot the same crappy percentage against that team's defense, I'd really be concerned. If I was a UTM fan, I'd be furious to the lack of defense being played - I've never seen so many wide open shooters before.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                    AM started slow last year. He will come on again giving us the luxury of playing IC some at four when JE gets back.
                    This, for sure.

He has the potential to be a Wessel type of a pick setter...

Evan.jpg

... anything's possible.
                    Last edited by ShockingButTrue; November 16, 2019, 07:57 PM.

Comment

You always look good when you are making shots.

Our bigs weren't pretty but they were effective, especially in transition. Go to paint and bury your man there. Man does Asbjorn have a tough time getting hold of the ball.

Our freshman guards are good. I hated to do it, but I confessed to WuShock16 that Noah plays defense a lot like Fred. His help defense is great and he's better than you think on ball. He's damned good. Oh, and he's the best passer on the team. I can't tell you how many times someone else had the ball and a Shocker was WIDE open and didn't get the ball because the player with the ball didn't see them. Noah almost always sees them. He's going to have to score at some point, but he takes care of the ball, moves the ball, gets it to people in great position to score, and plays excellent defense. His minutes are going to keep going up.

Thought the guys played hard and with energy against a terrible team with decent players. That kind of effort works a lot.

Good to see Burton back and he looks healthy.

We need Jamie to be really good otherwise we're an outside looking in tournament team imho.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        We need Jamie to be really good otherwise we're an outside looking in tournament team imho.
                        I'm gonna disagree here. It certainly wouldn't hurt. I think the ceiling is crazy high with a really good and healthy Jamie. But I'm not convinced we don't have a good shot even without him. I see an awful lot of pieces for a very good coach to work with.

You can go a long ways with a strong defensive and rebounding rotation at the 5, if your other positions are good enough. See 2014.

The work that Burton and Dennis put in this summer is really showing. How many guys have we said "if they could just learn to drive on occasion" or "if they could just become a serviceable shooter when wide open?" These guys sure look like they have added those pieces. With the things they do defensively, taking care of the ball, playing hard, they could be scary good.

Comment

I'm gonna have to lean on Doc's side with this one. You can't let one perfect game against a team that plays YMCA level defense cloud you too much. We looked pretty awful up until now. I hope this game was the sign of general improvement (obviously helps when JB is back and hitting everything) and not just an outlier (probably so on the offensive end).

The team will eventually have to score on the perimeter at some point. We have some solid shooters but I don't think we're a 40% 3 point shooting team.

I need to see more against better competition and especially away from home before I can consider us into the tournament conversation. And of course, we actually have to win the few good games we have in the non-con or it'll be a moot point anyways. The AAC may be a tad down this year overall.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

We might be a 40% 3 pt shooting team if DD and TE shoot the majority of them. Very impressed with TE today. He needs to be on the court imo, even if it means a few less minutes for ES.

Comment

You could make an argument that Udeze/Chandler/Mitgaard is a better three headed monster than Lufile/Coleby/Carter. So I can see Cdizzle’s point. Throw our best post player JE in the mix and our post play is superior than our undefeated team. Our Final 4 team was Hall and Orukpe, hard to compare those guys since they were both sorta unorthodox centers.

Comment

I'm hardly the person that goes ga-ga over offensive shooting percentages in the box score. You see awful, I see pieces we haven't had since 2016. Young, inexperienced pieces. But also some young and experienced pieces.

Comment

Working...
                                X