Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Top 25 Poll Watch

Alabama 15
    Texas 80; Purdue 55; Temple 54; Washington 49; Villanova 34; New Mexico 27; Creighton 23; UNLV 21; Michigan State 20; Cleveland State 13; George Mason 11; Georgetown 10; UCLA 10; West Virginia 10; Oklahoma State 8; St. John's 8; Butler 6; Saint Mary's 6; Drexel 5; Long Beach State 3; Virginia Commonwealth 3; Brigham Young 1; Wichita State 1.

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
    Wichita State 1.
    Baby steps. Looking good so far.

Comment

So who's the one? Ben Jacobson? Doug Wojcik - Tulsa?

Comment

Could also be Matt Painter or Shaka.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Put me in the "Couldn't possibly care any less" group. All I am looking for is the team to improve from CSU. Do that, and everything else won't matter.

This isn't the kind of team that needs to see it's name in lights anyway. Bring on the Buffs.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            Put me in the "Couldn't possibly care any less" group. All I am looking for is the team to improve from CSU. Do that, and everything else won't matter.

This isn't the kind of team that needs to see it's name in lights anyway. Bring on the Buffs.
            I actually do think polls matter a little bit. Getting your name in the Top 25 or beating teams in the Top 25 gets you air time. Beating #15 Alabama is better than beating unranked Alabama. I agree that it doesn't really matter for the team itself, but I think it helps in exposure, and exposure is important.

With that said, here is the AP Poll: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...kings/_/poll/1

Alabama 16
            * Others receiving votes: Temple 79, Michigan State 78, Washington 47, Cleveland State 43, New Mexico 34, UCLA 34, Belmont 21, Creighton 19, Villanova 19, Texas 18, Drexel 13, UNLV 9, Saint Mary's 6, Purdue 5, San Diego State 3, George Mason 3, Harvard 3, Butler 3, Long Beach State 3, Utah State 3, Illinois 2, Marshall 1, Minnesota 1, Akron 1, West Virginia 1

Comment

I actually do think polls matter a little bit. Getting your name in the Top 25 or beating teams in the Top 25 gets you air time. Beating #15 Alabama is better than beating unranked Alabama. I agree that it doesn't really matter for the team itself, but I think it helps in exposure, and exposure is important.

With that said, here is the AP Poll: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...kings/_/poll/1

Alabama 16
              * Others receiving votes: Temple 79, Michigan State 78, Washington 47, Cleveland State 43, New Mexico 34, UCLA 34, Belmont 21, Creighton 19, Villanova 19, Texas 18, Drexel 13, UNLV 9, Saint Mary's 6, Purdue 5, San Diego State 3, George Mason 3, Harvard 3, Butler 3, Long Beach State 3, Utah State 3, Illinois 2, Marshall 1, Minnesota 1, Akron 1, West Virginia 1
              Huh??
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

This week we have an opportunity to do something about how we are viewed nationally.

We failed with many of our opportunities during the season last year and then reversed that in the NIT. Let's hope we grab the brass ring that is there for the taking from the get go this year. We certainly are capable of doing that but it will be anything but easy (and shouldn't be).

:poster_shocks:

Comment

Butler??? Do these voters check the news? I think Evansville should have some votes.

Comment

Most people that actually turn in voting ballots don't know a thing about most teams. I wouldn't expect most (if not all) Shockernetters to be able to fairly compare this last weekends Harvard and Drexel performance to Butler's.

Comment

Most people that actually turn in voting ballots don't know a thing about most teams. I wouldn't expect most (if not all) Shockernetters to be able to fairly compare this last weekends Harvard and Drexel performance to Butler's.
                      +1 for all of this hahaha
                      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

While that is true (and more understandable for the coach's poll, since they should have less time to research this stuff than reporters), it still doesn't make a lot of sense. I could understand failing to vote for a good team because you hadn't researched well enough to find all the good performances, but voting in favor of a poorly performing team is another thing entirely. A voter is only responsible for naming 25 teams. You would think that if you are going to go to the effort of putting a team among your 25, you might check to see if they were good enough to win.

In sum, there is every excuse for excluding a good team because it would require being familiar with every team to the extent that you know the entire pool of who might be good enough to be considered. There is no excuse for including a bad team, because there are only 25 teams you have to know anything about - the 25 teams you voted for.
                        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
                          Butler??? Do these voters check the news? I think Evansville should have some votes.
                          Butler was not ranked, IIRC, only getting votes. The only thing the UE game told the voters was that Butler isn't as good as they thought. Now, if UE beats or hangs with UNC, then they will get some respect in terms of poll votes.

Comment

Alabama 16
                            Is there a reason our friends at Utah State are not highlighted in this group?

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                              Is there a reason our friends at Utah State are not highlighted in this group?
                              Mormons. White shirts and ties. No flash.
                              Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Working...
                              X