I don't get it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't get it

How in the world can we get volleyball games on fm radio but men's basketball is on am? I just don't get it. KU and KSU are on fm locally. When are we going to have our radio broadcast treated like a top-tier basketball program? I'm still a little surprised am radio still exists.

And our games on Cox 22 are broadcast in HazeD.

Something has to change -- we are in the 21st Century, people. As mentioned before, there are too many glitches in the arena production, the radio broadcast, and the TV broadcast. I think we deserve better.

Comment

Nobody cares about this but you and I, ham.

Comment

AM has a lot longer range coverage. I can get 1330 up here in Salina at times, I lose 103.7 sometime before McPhearson. AM is much better from an area of coverage perspective.

Comment

I still havent received a return email from KNSS.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            Nobody cares about this but you and I, ham.
            That's NOT a fact Jack!
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Dregn is exactly right, ham, and that's all there is to it. If a school wants maximum over the air geographic coverage, it has two choices: a network with a enough stations that the individual coverage of any given one doesn't matter, or AM radio on the strongest station it can get. I lived in Texas years ago and actually was able to pick up 1330 down there occasionally. It wasn't great quality -- lots of static and intermittent periods of being intelligible (the latter sounds familiar even now, doesn't it?) -- but that gives you an idea of the possible coverage of an AM station, even one with just 5,000 watts of power. FM can't do that.

Edit: I guarantee you that if the volleyball program could choose whether to be broadcast on AM or FM, they'd pick AM in a heartbeat.
              Last edited by WSUwatcher; November 14, 2011, 01:54 PM.

Comment

I have to disagree, I like having it on AM. The only time I listen to a game on the radio is when I'm traveling to KC or western Kansas. If the games were on FM, I'd never be able to pick them up.

Comment

Its so sad, we are trying to compete with being in the top 25 in the country on the court. Just wish that all our operations off the court could strive for goals like the team. Marshall is doing his part with the team, now the athletic department needs to pick up their end.

Comment

I do like AM as well, even though the quality isn't that great. But let's go back to the other question that was brought up. Why are we on Ch. 22 all the time? It looks like it's being broadcast from a local highschool. Production: awful. Quality: awful. Sometimes the scorekeeper gets caught picking his nose and the score is inaccurate for a few minutes of the game.

Comment

Whether the game would be on ch 12 or 22 the production team would likely be the same so you'd get the same quality from that perspective. Channel 22 is a statewide station that is available to any COX subscriber in the state of Kansas. Channel 12 would only be available to those in the KWCH viewing area. Channel 22 actually has more possible viewers than airing on channel 12.

Comment

Reach is the advantage of AM radio. The disadvantage of AM is that it is nearly bankrupt. That's not a rap on Entercom. It's ALL of AM that is nearly bankrupt. That means the equipment is going to be at the absolute bottom end of stuff that sort of works.

KSU FB just flat bombs the entire state with massive numbers of AM stations that don't have problems broadcasting games, but there's a huge difference. KSU appeals to agriculture - and KSU FB sells massive amounts of agriculture-related national advertising. The KSU network can pay their stations enough that the stations can afford the equipment needed to produce the games.

BGM sells almost nothing but local advertising. There is no value to putting that advertising on stations outside of Wichita. That leaves BGM negotiating how much they have to pay to buy the time they use for broadcasts. I think it's apparent they aren't paying enough that they can make demands on Entercom for proper equipment and staffing to put out a reasonable product.

I don't think it was the shi**y phone line last night. I think it was Entercom's equipment that was dropping the connection.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

The bottom line always seems comes down to the bottom line.

:greedy_dollars:

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            The bottom line always seems comes down to the bottom line.

:greedy_dollars:
                            Funny but very true.

Comment

Droid app

I downloaded an app for my Droid that lets me get the game broadcast from anywhere. And it is crystal clear. I live more than 60 miles from Wichita and getting 1330 at night is almost impossible and lots of static. Any radio station can be listened to.
                              Topher77

Comment

Working...
                              X