Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

THIS.

Peele was coach's assistant for HC3GM's last four seasons at Winthrop, and then went on to become Winthrop's head coach. IMHO when you are intimately familiar with 65% of the other guy's system, it is pretty darn EASY to ugly up the game. I didn't realize this background while watching the game, but looking back on it, it makes sense how ugly the first half was.
    Which makes this game look a lot like a conference game. Everyone knows your stuff, so you better find an other way to win. We don't have that player who can create his own shot. I believe we need at least two players who can create off the dribble, just don't see that in our group.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktheheck View Post

Which makes this game look a lot like a conference game. Everyone knows your stuff, so you better find an other way to win. We don't have that player who can create his own shot. I believe we need at least two players who can create off the dribble, just don't see that in our group.
      Patience weedhopper...
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• People really should revisit the game threads from the undefeated season for some perspective on horrible hot takes from wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Tx Southern didn't need to know Marshall's play book. It was simpler than that.

Guard perimeter guys tight when they had the ball. If they drove past the defender, drop 3 more guys into the lane to stop the drive. Ignore the 3-point line and ignore kickouts from driving shooters - and from the moment our guys started driving, they were shooters, regardless of how many guys were on them.
          I think Marshall’s words paraphrased, (during his coaches show) on this subject was that our guards need to execute better although it doesn’t help when an opposing coach knows every move you make. I think that Randy Peele knows not only the offense but also Gregg’s tendencies on set plays, etc.

Never fear, Gregg will use this close win to his advantage this week and drive his points home as a teaching tool during game replay and practice time. While we are better than last year at this early juncture even without Jamie and JB, this team will get much better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Root Angry View Post
            ​
            We fought and found a way to win, and instead of it being an ugly loss, it's just another W, and we're still undefeated!
            Exactly, RA. Ugly games are teaching opportunities for the coaches regardless, so let's have an ugly win rather than an ugly loss anytime.

Comment

• Was unable to attend or watch the game live. Finally was able to watch the replay Sunday evening. Weird game. Not sure I can add much of value to what has already been said. I will say I thought Texas Southern played very hard, were very athletic and it looked to me like they may have had a young Shocker team sped up a bit especially in the 1st half although 5-37 in the first half is just hard to believe could happen. No doubt Randy Peele's knowledge of 3G's system certainly was helpfuil to TSU.

The FG shooting in the 2nd half wasn't great but it was about 3 times better than in the 1st half and the free throw shooting was excellent. Can't complain too much about putting up 46 points in the second half. One thing the Shocks continue to do pretty well early on is take care of the ball. Only 8 turnovers is very helpful when you are not shooting well and the Shockers did a much better job on the boards in the 2nd half as well.

Overall though the Shocks no doubt have a lot of improvement that needs to happen. It will help if and when we can get fully healthy.

Glad the guys have a week off to regroup. I think they will bounce back well.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 11, 2019, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                Were there 1500 empty seats?

it didnt look that empty on tv, but the angle wasnt great. corporate seats were mixed. in all fairness, i think we’re still used to the valley days when we had to be good out of the gate due to the weak conference. Nobody in my group of eight was interested in going to watch them play Texas Southern. Our first game will most likely be okla and then VCU at koch arena.

Comment

• Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post

it didnt look that empty on tv, but the angle wasnt great. corporate seats were mixed. in all fairness, i think we’re still used to the valley days when we had to be good out of the gate due to the weak conference. Nobody in my group of eight was interested in going to watch them play Texas Southern. Our first game will most likely be okla and then VCU at koch arena.
                  L
                  O
                  L

Comment

So then are you selling or giving those tickets to those who can attend? I would hope so.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmyShockerFan View Post

So then are you selling or giving those tickets to those who can attend? I would hope so.
                      Looking at all those empty seats, I would guess no

Comment

• Hopefully he is not a season ticket holder but buying individual games. The first game at Koch that meets their standards are at the end of December? Sad.

Comment

• the great thing about america is that you get to spend your bread how you want to and i get to do the same with mine. i think its great that you were at the game, but my group goes for the entire experience. since the in-game experience hasn't kept up with our expectations of what we experience in other venues (ncaa basketball, nhl, mls, and mlb), i have decided to watch many of the "cupcake" games on tv.

you can learn a lot off of adam smith's economic principles. i could have attended the prior two games for a cumulative sum of $17 with center court seats in an average of the 22nd row - much less than the $45 per ticket that i would have paid for my season tickets/saso. i let my season tickets go as the athletic department doesn't understand the concept of supply and demand. nor do they listen to their customers on what they expect in a game-day experience. its apparent that many more are thinking as i am as the resale market has gone to $hit. there were so many tickets at give-away prices on stubhub, ticketmaster, and seatgeek that obviously went unused.

i support our coaching staff and student athletes, but don't feel anymore that i have to be at the game to be a "true fan".

Comment

the great thing about america is that you get to spend your bread how you want to and i get to do the same with mine. i think its great that you were at the game, but my group goes for the entire experience. since the in-game experience hasn't kept up with our expectations of what we experience in other venues (ncaa basketball, nhl, mls, and mlb), i have decided to watch many of the "cupcake" games on tv.

you can learn a lot off of adam smith's economic principles. i could have attended the prior two games for a cumulative sum of $17 with center court seats in an average of the 22nd row - much less than the $45 per ticket that i would have paid for my season tickets/saso. i let my season tickets go as the athletic department doesn't understand the concept of supply and demand. nor do they listen to their customers on what they expect in a game-day experience. its apparent that many more are thinking as i am as the resale market has gone to $hit. there were so many tickets at give-away prices on stubhub, ticketmaster, and seatgeek that obviously went unused.

i support our coaching staff and student athletes, but don't feel anymore that i have to be at the game to be a "true fan".
                            Sorry that the "the entire experience" does not meet your superior expectations of a WSU Basketball game. Also it is awesome that a corporate ticket holder is explaining basic economics and Adam Smith to everyone, don't worry I'm sure everyone is going to be like, "oh, geeze his explanation of Econ 101 totally makes me understand why he isn't coming to the game." I'm sure when our players are on the court and see empty seats above the scorer's table they think, "Yep, the invisible hand is guiding Shocker ticket sales."

My only point is that if your group's experience is sub par to your fine tuned, world traveled palate all you could simply do is sell those tickets to someone else...don't worry Smith would approve.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmyShockerFan View Post

Sorry that the "the entire experience" does not meet your superior expectations of a WSU Basketball game. Also it is awesome that a corporate ticket holder is explaining basic economics and Adam Smith to everyone, don't worry I'm sure everyone is going to be like, "oh, geeze his explanation of Econ 101 totally makes me understand why he isn't coming to the game." I'm sure when our players are on the court and see empty seats above the scorer's table they think, "Yep, the invisible hand is guiding Shocker ticket sales."

My only point is that if your group's experience is sub par to your fine tuned, world traveled palate all you could simply do is sell those tickets to someone else...don't worry Smith would approve.
                              I believe he is saying he has dropped his season tickets and is now buying individual game tickets when he wants them at a much lower cost. I don't think he is a "corprorate" ticket holder and so he doesn't have unused tickets to sell.

I don't think it's good form to criticize fans who base their ticket buying and attendance on economic or financial reasons especially when we don't really have any idea what their financial situation is. I know I have limits on what I can do from financial standpoint but like to think I am still a very good Shocker fan.

It would be nice if we could find a solution to the unused "corporate" seats but but I doubt that will ever be resolved. You are not going to insult some of you bigger financial backers especially when you trying to run with the big boys.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 11, 2019, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                                Why was it so cold in Koch today? Holy crap, turn off the air!

One of the uglier games that I have witnessed in Levitt/Koch. Almost seemed like a Smithson game. And I saw alot of those.

I know this crew will get it going. TX Southern played a version of ugly ball, and it showed. The shots have to eventually start falling.
                                First time I've been on since the game, but that was my wife's comment...how cold it was...not sure why...

Comment

Working...
                                X