Wichita State vs. Omaha (Nebraska) Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

12 points, 3 boards, 6 assists, 1 TO, 2 steals. In his first ever D1 game as a true Fr. He was 0/4 from 3, but he was 6/7 inside the arc. Sherfield had the added pressure of being "the only guy" after Burton went out. That's some incredible composure for a true Fr.

Maybe Sherfield isn't a "true" PG, but that's a better stat line than could possibly be expected from a "true PG" in their first ever D1 game.

Marshall's teams always struggle on the offensive end early in the season. That's because they've been working on defense. Remember when SIU was good? They spent most of their practice time on defense, Their offensive game was brutal, but they defended like mad men. As long as Marshall is the coach, the Shox D will always be way ahead of the O early in the season.
    Sherfield and Etienne were very good in their first ever D-I game! Sherfield may not be a “pure” PG, but he is a “true” PG. Composed, ball on a string, doesn’t dribble aimlessly.

The ball movement on this team is MUCH better than last year. If we make half our lay-ups, we win by 25 or 30.

Need Etienne to learn the PG this week in practice.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Hi is Joerg. Is good W for these young guys,,is get better for later games. Watch us! Young kids get betterfor dunk on fools in March too Madness. I am full fan on Sheffeld youth guy Fresh! Thanks is Joerg ,,

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

Tate Busse’s grandfather mentioned that Erik had 22 family members in to see him, so maybe he was pressing
        Thanks for providing this information. The whole time I was watching ES I thought he was playing tight and pressing. I could not firgure out why. I have seen this kind of problem before. MM did it in New York last year. DD did it in New Orleans against Tulane. Yeah I know he hit the game winning shot but otherwise his game was not good down there. Zack Brown did the same thing in Houston our 1st year in the league. Too many things on these kids mine when you focusing on making faimly and friends happy. ES needs to play happy and free. His shot will start to fall but like everyone ekse he will need to continue to not turn it over, rebound and play defense.

AM and IPBC combined zero points and 4 rebounds. WTF Sorry but there is no excuse for that. Neither played hard or with purpose. Totally unacceptable.

Overall nice win but we have room to improve. Any word J Burton injury?

Comment

• At the end of last year, AM started to have an edge. He is back to being nice. We need an expendable underclassman to put some sand in his panties.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post

If that's what you want, Blackmag, he needs to make 500 a night, not just shoot them. Shooting a bunch without making them is something he already has down disappointingly well.
            a day is only 24 hours long

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
              At the end of last year, AM started to have an edge. He is back to being nice. We need an expendable underclassman to put some sand in his panties.
              When he decided to not dunk when he had a clear dunk under the basket and instead turning the wrong way and totally missing the lay-up I thought the same thing. Go strong big man...go strong!!!
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• I thought Erik did a great job at point guard …...for not being a point guard. His shot will come.

Comment

At the end of last year, AM started to have an edge. He is back to being nice. We need an expendable underclassman to put some sand in his panties.
                  Its the first game of the season and he's always struggled with smaller/faster players.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

When he decided to not dunk when he had a clear dunk under the basket and instead turning the wrong way and totally missing the lay-up I thought the same thing. Go strong big man...go strong!!!
                    They both tend to fade away and take the longer hook shot rather than turn toward the basket with authority. Remember MU was 2nd string center as a freshman before his injury. It looks like he's wanting to reclaim that spot and the other guys are gonna let him.

Comment

• Good game Shox. Enjoyed it. At no time did I ever feel the outcome of the game would be in question. That's what really stood out in my mind. Burton is an outstanding player and you could tell how oddly the offense ran without him in there. We need Burton and Sherfield BOTH.

I didn't have as many problems with all the 3 point shots as everyone else. The thing about the shot is, you want those shots to be taken in the flow of the game. Don't know if there's a way to rewatch, but I'd be curious how many were out of the flow of the offense. I can think of one by Burton, and maybe one by Wade. The high number probably tells me that these players are comfortable taking that shot. If the few that went down and rolled out (especially on Dexter) stay in, we may not be having this conversation. If I recall, last year two of our biggest problems were not being aware of "what" a good shot is, and flat out not being able to make them. These guys CAN make them, they just gotta figure out the "what" of it.

I don't think enough people are giving credit to Omaha. They have a core group of guys that play well together. Seems like they know their strengths and weaknesses. Their guard play is a strength, and was probably reflected in our efforts defensively on the perimeter. Omaha may have given last years Shox a loss at home early in the season.

Clean up the free throws, lose the air balls on shots and missed bunnies, and we're not even having a discussion this morning. A lot to like last night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joerg View Post
                        Hi is Joerg. Is good W for these young guys,,is get better for later games. Watch us! Young kids get betterfor dunk on fools in March too Madness. I am full fan on Sheffeld youth guy Fresh! Thanks is Joerg ,,
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Or soak his jockstrap (assuming they still wear those) in Liquid Heat like they did in Nerds...

Comment

• I think a few people are being a little unfair to Grant Sherfield. He didn't play a bad game but he needs to improve. A few players took early 3 shots and we didn't run the offense as well as we will later. Grant will be a fine point guard and as a Freshman, he is just getting his feet wet. Fred needed some time to become the point guard he ended up being but he had the luxury of having a top notch point guard to teach him.

GM graded the effort as a C- which means that we have room to improve. Our defense is ahead of our offense. Our 5s didn't play particularly well but Wade looked really good

Comment

• Shout out to the students... thought they were solid last night. There appears to be some organization and new chants...

Comment

• So far, and it is very early, with only 1 exhibition game and the home opener to go by, this young Shocker team does seem to take care of the ball. Only 8 and 7 turnovers in those 2 games combined. Against Omaha the Shockers turned the ball over 5 times in the first 11 minutes of the game which wasn't good but I suspect 3G made a gentle suggestion to his team to get that under control and the Shocks only had 2 turnovers over the final 29 minutes of the game. It will be interesting to see how well they can sustain this over the course of the season.

Comment

Working...
                                X