Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Student-Athletes be paid for their name, image & likeness while scholarships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post
    Can someone explain how this doesn't hurt small-market colleges? Just on the surface, if I'm a 5* one-and-done caliber player, UCLA has an immediate advantage over Duke and UNC now, let alone Wichita State. This is an extreme example, but it illustrates my point quite well--allowing players to be paid for their image and likeness benefits schools in larger market areas.
    How does it hurt them any more than they are already being hurt? All this ruling does is allow what has been happening in hotel rooms to come out of the darkness. We only have the tip of the iceberg in basketball (we know there are more programs doing what KU and others were doing). Imagine what happening in football where the real big bucks are...

Comment

• Can't wait for this to eventually pass and then have all of you who are so passionate about exploiting these kids to sell your season tickets. Might as well move down a couple of rows!
      "Say it slowly and savor it..."
      Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushockerdude View Post
        Can't wait for this to eventually pass and then have all of you who are so passionate about exploiting these kids to sell your season tickets. Might as well move down a couple of rows!
        Exploiting? lol

I think you are severely underestimating the **** show that’ll commence and the regulating of such **** show.

Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushockerdude View Post
            Can't wait for this to eventually pass and then have all of you who are so passionate about exploiting these kids to sell your season tickets. Might as well move down a couple of rows!
            Exploited? Nah. Not compensated appropriately? Perhaps. But exploited? Not a chance.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post
              you think college basketball was dirty before, just wait..
              Agreed.

Why, what could possibly go wrong?

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                How does it hurt them any more than they are already being hurt? All this ruling does is allow what has been happening in hotel rooms to come out of the darkness. We only have the tip of the iceberg in basketball (we know there are more programs doing what KU and others were doing). Imagine what happening in football where the real big bucks are...
                This is the same argument made about legalizing pot and any other vice you can dream up. People are doing it so we might as well just make it legal.

You don't think the magnitude of money involved will explode, and therefore put a knife in the have-nots, if it becomes legal across the board?
                Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Speculation that NIL is only the tip of the iceberg

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...likeness-bills
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• the best laid plans of mice and men aft gang aglay. This is going to end up badly with the ncaa as an oversight entity.

Comment

• Kinda on topic...

Al McGuire might have been ahead of his time... and was one of my all-time favorite college basketball coaches.
                      From the S&S archives: Outspoken McGuire puts emphasis on winning"
                      "McGuire feels that the day is coming when the courts are going to intervene, take away the anti-trust laws and declare basketball a business. "Once that becomes tested in the courts" says McGuire, "then you are going to have complete chaos in basketball.""

https://www.stripes.com/news/from-th...inning-1.65037

Here's another interesting read. I recall he also coined the "jet job" phrase - when a 'dormant' basketball program comes out of nowhere with a great recruiting class and the NCAA starts sniffing around; i.e., see Memphis basketball...
                      "In a lexicon that was all his own, referees were "zebras," professional agents were "backroom lawyers" and facile opponents were "cupcakes." He is widely credited with popularizing the usage of a host of phrases, including "Hail Mary pass," "aircraft carrier," "blue chip" and "prime time" that have since become the stock in trade of every sportscaster. After 23 years as a television analyst with NBC and CBS, including a spell as color commentator on New York City’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade in the mid-’90s, he worked his final game last March."

https://www.irishecho.com/2011/02/al...or-irishman-2/
                      Last edited by Kung Wu; November 15, 2019, 11:36 AM.
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• NCAA’s Board of Governors takes step towards allowing athletes to profit off endorsements, social media

Comment

• Comment

• Not real fond of this, but coach Marshall says it should benefit us, so guess I’ll keep an open mind.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• How this won’t just make the blue-blood schools richer in talent is not within my comprehension
                              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                              ---------------------------------------
                              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                                How this won’t just make the blue-blood schools richer in talent is not within my comprehension
                                Yeah I don't suspect the NCAA would put limits on the earnings per individual athlete. They should to keep things fair...but I would be surprised if they did.

If they DID put limits on earnings...I think Wichita would do very well and be well positioned to compete with other markets for recruits as it's the only game in town. In major markets its usually the pro athletes doing the local TV ads and such.
                                FINAL FOURS:
                                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                                #3 - Dec. 2017
                                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                                #2 ~ March 2014
                                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                                X