Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Student-Athletes be paid for their name, image & likeness while scholarships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NM

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

Somebody tell the NBA players union.
      Wholeheartedly agree. This rule should be changed as well. Forcing these athletes to go to college or play professionally overseas for a year before they can be drafted is nonsense. It's a free market and if they believe they have the skills to play in the NBA they should be allowed to do so at will, whether they are 18 or not. It's stupid.

Although, as others have pointed out, I don't think it's the players union behind the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
        I’ve always found it humorous that Jay Bilas (I’m not a fan) is a vocal proponent of paying college athletes. He’s made a career and probably a lot of money from discussing college athletics. Should he fork over part of the bill to pay athletes?
        Jay Bilas wants college athletes to be paid.
        Jay Bilas is paid by ESPN to cover college athletes
        Jay Bilas therefore should pay college athletes.

I think we've found the real culprit here. And its not Jay Bilas.

Comment

Wichita State (2017-18) spent approximately $7,500,00 for men's basketball. A 16-man roster equates to about $470,000 per athlete or $1,875,000 investment over four years. I would tell each athlete, either assign your rights to Wichita State for the next four years or here's the bill.

Comment

I think schools do enough as far as giving compensation to athletes (a free education is a HUGE thing in today’s society). However, I am 100% on board with students being able to get paid by others for their name and likeness. Just cap it so it doesn’t go overboard and everyone is on a more even playing field.

I will admit though, I have a hard time understanding this situation. Why do states need to pass laws for student athletes to be able to accept endorsement money and hire agents? They are already allowed to do that from a legal standpoint. With or without the law, wouldn’t the NCAA still be able to rule those athletes and schools ineligible?

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
              https://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/...financial.html

Wichita State (2017-18) spent approximately $7,500,00 for men's basketball. A 16-man roster equates to about $470,000 per athlete or $1,875,000 investment over four years. I would tell each athlete, either assign your rights to Wichita State for the next four years or here's the bill.
              That’s a little extreme. The costs you are referencing are the costs to run a program designed to entertain fans and generate revenue for the school. It’s a big number because they have a big staff, big facilities, etc. it’s a major benefit for the university. I’d be interested to see the Profits generated by the Men’s BB program. Everyone likes to talk about how much money is generated but they don’t ever show the NET Income.

Comment

Expenses Revenue
                Wichita State $6,380,482.00 $7,426,190.00 American
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I keep seeing the numbers thrown around, which is hilarious to me. Sure, we spend $7.5MM on basketball. That still doesn't show me how much our players get - the ones we are paying to see.

Fred was the driver for the sale of a ton of #23 jerseys back in the day. Hell, he still is. I didn't see many Rickey Torres jerseys being worn around last season. Fred is the reason - he should profit off his likeness. Not an astronomical amount, but he should get a cut. Ask him that, and he would tell you the same thing.
                  "Say it slowly and savor it..."
                  Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

Originally posted by wsushockerdude View Post
                    I keep seeing the numbers thrown around, which is hilarious to me. Sure, we spend $7.5MM on basketball. That still doesn't show me how much our players get - the ones we are paying to see.

Fred was the driver for the sale of a ton of #23 jerseys back in the day. Hell, he still is. I didn't see many Rickey Torres jerseys being worn around last season. Fred is the reason - he should profit off his likeness. Not an astronomical amount, but he should get a cut. Ask him that, and he would tell you the same thing.
                    Oh believe me, he is.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

There are some BAD takes in this thread. More than usual on Shockernet. It's very apparent none of you played college athletics or can grasp what it's like to see your jersey and Christmas ornaments with your number being sold and you get zip out of it. And if you think a "free college education" is worth it ask the baseball players who don't get a free ride and still have their number and likeness used.

​​​​​
                      ​​​​​​College athletes make a lot of money for this school, especially the basketball players, in terms of free national publicity when they're good. They deserve a cut of that. There's a reason why WSU has the biggest enrollment in history this year, and it's not the science department.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushockerdude View Post

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I'm curious what these players think they should be paid. We keep seeing discussion about how much money is made by the NCAA/University, etc., but I don't think I've seen any proposals about what the players should be paid. The only thing I hear is that they should be able to profit off their likeness. So our basketball program profits around $1M a year. I'd be willing to bet that every other sport at WSU loses money. Should baseball players profit because their image is used in promotional material even though the baseball program loses money? Do the players think the school should operate even more in the red as long as they get their cut? Should Fred get $1 per jersey sold, or $10 per jersey? How much did he invest in the manufacturing of those jerseys? How much did he invest to build the WSU brand or did he just walk into a pre-existing fanbase? Sure WSU sold a lot of #23 jerseys, but part of what they do is promote players (at no cost to the player) and promote jersey sales to help increase revenue for the school so they can support the cash drain sports. It's easy to just say "pay the players", its much harder to understand how this is actually going to work,

Comment

Question: Why would California do this? Altruism?
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

This would be easy but for Title IX.
                              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                I'm curious what these players think they should be paid. We keep seeing discussion about how much money is made by the NCAA/University, etc., but I don't think I've seen any proposals about what the players should be paid. The only thing I hear is that they should be able to profit off their likeness. So our basketball program profits around $1M a year. I'd be willing to bet that every other sport at WSU loses money. Should baseball players profit because their image is used in promotional material even though the baseball program loses money? Do the players think the school should operate even more in the red as long as they get their cut? Should Fred get $1 per jersey sold, or $10 per jersey? How much did he invest in the manufacturing of those jerseys? How much did he invest to build the WSU brand or did he just walk into a pre-existing fanbase? Sure WSU sold a lot of #23 jerseys, but part of what they do is promote players (at no cost to the player) and promote jersey sales to help increase revenue for the school so they can support the cash drain sports. It's easy to just say "pay the players", its much harder to understand how this is actually going to work,
                                Two thumbs up Dan...

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006) clip with quote That was a hell of a grace, man. You nailed that like a split hog! Yarn is the best search for video clips by quote. Find the exact moment in a TV show, movie, or music video you want to share. Easily move forward or backward to get to the perfect clip.
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X