Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Student-Athletes be paid for their name, image & likeness while scholarships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    IF they allow this, they must set limits on earnings and they must be fully reported and taxed. If they don’t do this, it will truly become a bidding war for players. I’m sure schools don’t want this because it will be diverting alumni donations from the school directly to players. They also must set restrictions on parents of such players receiving compensation for activities related to players. This is going to be very complicated. Even if limits are set, I can see further lawsuits that the NCAA is handcuffing certain players that are super popular. It’s a no win situation. At the end of the day, they need to eliminate age restrictions to pro sports and let the kids take their chances straight outta high school. If they wanna make money, they should just go pro.
    If a limit of ZERO cannot be policed/enforced, how will a limit of $1,000 or $10,000 or $1,000,000 be fairly policed/enforced?
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I'm torn on this. I see the students perspectives as they aren't getting paid a cut of the billions that are made off of them but at the same time, there is no sustainable model for it to keep things competitive. NCAA tourney would be gone because you couldn't maintain a league with 64 teams let alone the 300+ we have right now.

Comment

It's so messy. Billions being made. But if you say yes, it's just gonna be a laundering scheme to get players paid by boosters.

I don't think there is a right answer to this.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
          I'm torn on this. I see the students perspectives as they aren't getting paid a cut of the billions that are made off of them but at the same time, there is no sustainable model for it to keep things competitive. NCAA tourney would be gone because you couldn't maintain a league with 64 teams let alone the 300+ we have right now.
          Fox was just discussing this subject this morning. Many questions brought up including that athletes would now be employees with one of the questions being,

“Can you fire employees?” The implications and questions are endless. Many of the people like Lebron who are involved in pushing this agenda don’t even care about college athletics or college athletes. He just thinks about how he would have fit in and he is a 1 in a million player.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Fox was just discussing this subject this morning. Many questions brought up including that athletes would now be employees with one of the questions being,

“Can you fire employees?” The implications and questions are endless. Many of the people like Lebron who are involved in pushing this agenda don’t even care about college athletics or college athletes. He just thinks about how he would have fit in and he is a 1 in a million player.
            Lebron also has a son that will directly benefit from this. Not like he needs more money, but he could start marketing his son out now if they allowed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
              You mean, just like the 90% or whatever percentager of persons employed by a corporation or even partnership/proprietorship in the real world? If you are am employee of GE or P&G or whatever and you invent a patentable "product/idea," you may get a bonus but the corporation reaps millions/billions. The grad students working on R&D with "publishing professors" get nothing for their breakthrough (probably not even a mention on the byline. Why should athletes be treated differently?
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I didn't know realize Lebron was involved.

I love taking advice on how to run college sports from a guy that never played a college sport, has no sports administration background, doesn't have a day of financial schooling, has exactly zero financial experience other than counting the benjamins which fall from Heaven above, and probably struggles to spell univershitty.
                Last edited by Kung Wu; October 1, 2019, 10:14 AM.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I don't think the courts will allow it under Title IX.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
                    What if the ladies are being compensated within the three prong test?

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
                      I don't think Title IX is an issue. My understanding of how this is likely to be implemented is that it just prevents schools from prohibiting a player (any player, male or female) to earn money off of their name and likeness. This isn't schools paying players. It also means the athlete won't be an employee of the school.

Here's a roundtable discussion on The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/1255043/2019/09/30/the-athletic-roundtable-the-fair-pay-to-play-act-has-passed-in-california-what-now-for-college-athletics/

I think what we're likely to see is wealthy boosters who are business owners promising players large endorsement deals. If the NCAA agrees to some middle ground and puts limits in place, those dollars will just get passed under the table like is probably being done now.

Comment

Here's the thing: there's no Scrooge McDuck money bin the NCAA has. They are not "making billions off the backs off the kids." A majority of the money made by the NCAA goes back to the schools for use by the athletic department for the benefit of student-athletes, and their operating budget is somewhere around $40 million, not much in the grand scheme of things.
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                          Here's the thing: there's no Scrooge McDuck money bin the NCAA has. They are not "making billions off the backs off the kids." A majority of the money made by the NCAA goes back to the schools for use by the athletic department for the benefit of student-athletes, and their operating budget is somewhere around $40 million, not much in the grand scheme of things.
                          I took those comments to mean that the _schools_ are making a ton of money off the backs of kids, not the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I took those comments to mean that the _schools_ are making a ton of money off the backs of kids, not the NCAA.
                            I believe neither to be true. What do the schools do with the money? They provide services, facilities, food, and training for student athletes. And the money that goes towards coaches serves student-athletes by providing athletes at top schools elite instruction. And most of the employees at a school's athletic department are on five-figure incomes, especially at smaller, non-D1 schools.

Comment

We love to crush Gottlieb, but he is spot on regarding this issue.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X