Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Student-Athletes be paid for their name, image & likeness while scholarships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Student-Athletes be paid for their name, image & likeness while scholarships?

In a major blow to the NCAA’s model of amateurism, California passed a bill that will allow college athletes to profit from their own name, image and likeness.

With the State of California now passing a new law, requiring colleges and universities to allow student-athletes to be compensated beyond their tuition/cost-of-attendance, I am wondering what others here think on the matter.
    No
    44.23%
    Yes, with limits
    32.69%
    Yes, with no limits
    23.08%

The poll is expired.

I voted no. The football schools will just dominate college sports even more.

Comment

This will pollute everything! Just like everything else in California

Comment

They already have this in Lawrence, Ks

Comment

California can pass that law. The NCAA can give schools in California the death penalty. The NCAA has a long history of holding onto the fact that joining the NCAA is a voluntary action by the schools. Schools in California are free to drop out of the NCAA, which they would effectively be doing if they started paying student-athletes while the NCAA still said it wasn't allowed.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I was wondering how long it would take for this topic to pop up. This law doesn’t take effect until 2023.It gives the NCA about 4 years to figure out how to deal with it. I am hearing that other states are going to join California in this law.

The next thing that comes to my mind is if I can get paid in college, why not high school or sooner and play AAU basketball and not play on a high school team?.

Comment

It's an NBA rule that keeps these guys from going straight to NBA. They don't have to go to NCAA. They can play overseas. They can play in G League. They can play AAU another year. They don't have to go to NCAA. They do go because they want the exposure. They want conference tournament on national TV. They want March Madness. They want what the NCAA offers in exposure, but not what it offers in pay (room/board/education).

Comment

People really tend to not think things through these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  California can pass that law. The NCAA can give schools in California the death penalty. The NCAA has a long history of holding onto the fact that joining the NCAA is a voluntary action by the schools. Schools in California are free to drop out of the NCAA, which they would effectively be doing if they started paying student-athletes while the NCAA still said it wasn't allowed.
                  NCAA already on the wrong side of history. NCAA already got their hands slapped in the O'Bannon case with the 9th circuit. Now NY already has a bill similar to California law working through their system. I heard on the CBS podcast that there were other states moving. The commission on basketball recommended this issue be taken up. Rice said

"That said, most commissioners believe that the rules on name, image and likeness should be taken up as soon as the legal framework is established.
                  California just set the clock for the NCAA to take it up this issue. Of course, as Rice pointed out - it is a difficult issue.

It is hard for the public, and frankly for me, to understand what can be allowed within the college model and what can't be allowed without opening the door to professionalizing college basketball."

Comment

Remind me again of the popularity of semi-pro sports?

Comment

It’s simple—No. Large market teams would DOMINATE.

Comment

IF they allow this, they must set limits on earnings and they must be fully reported and taxed. If they don’t do this, it will truly become a bidding war for players. I’m sure schools don’t want this because it will be diverting alumni donations from the school directly to players. They also must set restrictions on parents of such players receiving compensation for activities related to players. This is going to be very complicated. Even if limits are set, I can see further lawsuits that the NCAA is handcuffing certain players that are super popular. It’s a no win situation. At the end of the day, they need to eliminate age restrictions to pro sports and let the kids take their chances straight outta high school. If they wanna make money, they should just go pro.

Comment

Florida now has a bill in their house that if passed would start in 2020.

Comment

A thought occurred to me: If this happens, schools with good programs may benefit from corporate sponsorships. When a school signs an athlete they will come with a contract that says the school gets a "cut". Big time players will generate interest from commercial entities and the school should get a cut.
                            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                              People really tend to not think things through these days.
                              Especially in California
                              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                              ---------------------------------------
                              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                              X