In Honor of the Greatest Shocker Defenders of All Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
    I was quite young at the time but I really liked Terry Benton. I remember that in high school Benton (East) and Randy Canfield (Southeast) had some dust ups and were quite entertaining. Canfield was probably considered the better of the two in high school and went to KU but Benton was the by far the better of the two in College. If Benton (6'7" or 6'8") had been a couple of inches taller like Canfield (6'10") he may have had an NBA career to propel him. He was really good.
    I never thought Randy Canfield was the better high school player. He was just huge but he he was slow and not very athletic but he could dominate in high school because of his size. At least that was my perspective from playing against them in City League games. Now I didn't have the misfortune of having to go up against them mano y mano as Randy was the biggest player in the league and Terry one of the biggest and I was probably the smallest player in the league. But I did get to see them both up close and personal. Terry was just so much more athletic than Randy. I was in the same class year as Terry. I think Randy graduated in 1969 a year behind Terry. Unfortunately, Randy apparently had a lot of health problems which shortened his college career and shortened his life. He passed away in 2016 at a relatively young age of 65.

Terry still holds the Shocker record for the highest single season rebouding average at 16.8 per game over 26 games in 1970-71. His junior season.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 25, 2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I never thought Randy Canfield was the better high school player. He was just huge but he he was slow and not very athletic but he could dominate in high school because of his size. At least that was my perspective from playing against them in City League games. Now I didn't have the misfortune of having to go up against them mano y mano as Randy was the biggest player in the league and Terry one of he biggest and I was probably the smallest player in the league. But I did get to see them both up close and personal. Terry was just some much more athletic than Randy. I was in the same class year as Terry. I think Randy graduated in 1969 a year behind Terry. Unfortunately, Randy apparently had a lot of health problems which shortened his college career and shortened his life. He passed away in 2016 at a relatively young age of 65.

Terry still holds the Shocker record for the highest single season rebouding average at 16.8 per game over 26 games in 1970-71. His junior season.
      You are always a wealth of knowledge!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I never thought Randy Canfield was the better high school player. He was just huge but he he was slow and not very athletic but he could dominate in high school because of his size. At least that was my perspective from playing against them in City League games. Now I didn't have the misfortune of having to go up against them mano y mano as Randy was the biggest player in the league and Terry one of the biggest and I was probably the smallest player in the league. But I did get to see them both up close and personal. Terry was just some much more athletic than Randy. I was in the same class year as Terry. I think Randy graduated in 1969 a year behind Terry. Unfortunately, Randy apparently had a lot of health problems which shortened his college career and shortened his life. He passed away in 2016 at a relatively young age of 65.

Totally agree. What was nice back in those days was the triple header of high school games that they would hold on Friday night at then Levitt Arena.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, those were fun. IIRC we played the middle game of one of those tripleheaders and Terry Benton's East High Blue Aces and Randy Canfiled's Southeast Golden Buffalies played in the 3rd game that night. I think a City League championship was probably at stake in that East-Southeast game and my recollection is the game drew a crowd of around 8,000 a lot of whom showed up while our game was still in progress although they were clearly there to see the Benton-led East team and the Canfield-led Southeast team square off.

That was a big deal for high school kids to get to play most of their league games in the RoundHouse. Girls basketball wasn't around yet in those days in Wichita so logistically it was eaiser to do something like that. In looking back there was a lot of racial tension in the mid-to-late 60's but I don't recall there ever being any issues at those tripleheaders with comingling of 6 different city league high schools in one place. At least not that I was aware off.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 25, 2019, 04:00 PM.

Back to defense guys and who was the best. I went back and read some of these posts by you all. And Root angry was knocking that ball out of the park by talking about Oruphe, F.Vanvleet, T. Cotton, and Ron Baker possibly being the best. I would add Evan Wessel to that group. Not sure who was the best individually, but there is no doubt in my mind that the reason the shocks went to the Final 4, won 35 the next year and tore bluebloods like Arizona, Indiana, and the chicken hawks up was because collectively we had a hell of a defense with those guys. The other team's simply could not score on the perimeter and they certainly couldn't score inside with rim protectors like Oruphe, K. Colbey, Carl Hall and others.

Our subsequent teams including this year seem to be better offensively but I am hoping we can get back some of that nasty play angry defense. I think last year team got better as the season progressed. But I loved it in the past when the other team coaches and players would talk about how hard it was to run their offense after the games. And how physical the shocks were. If this new group can come together and play defense as a cohesive unit they too can be special. I am hoping a year under Coach M helps the core 7 players returning.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^

... of course, E. Wessel. I was wondering when someone was going to state the obvious.

Comment

I remember several times when he played that Randy Smithson shut down an opponent who in the first half was tearing up the Shocker defense. Randy was a very good all around, smart player who because of other flaws, is sometimes forgotten. But when he wanted to shut down an opposing guard, he would.

Comment

I always enjoyed watching opposing players wear the Cotton sweater!
              Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

Originally posted by shockrah View Post
                I always enjoyed watching opposing players wear the Cotton sweater!
                I always thought of it as more of a straight jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
                  Back to defense guys and who was the best. I went back and read some of these posts by you all. And Root angry was knocking that ball out of the park by talking about Oruphe, F.Vanvleet, T. Cotton, and Ron Baker possibly being the best. I would add Evan Wessel to that group. Not sure who was the best individually, but there is no doubt in my mind that the reason the shocks went to the Final 4, won 35 the next year and tore bluebloods like Arizona, Indiana, and the chicken hawks up was because collectively we had a hell of a defense with those guys. The other team's simply could not score on the perimeter and they certainly couldn't score inside with rim protectors like Oruphe, K. Colbey, Carl Hall and others.

Our subsequent teams including this year seem to be better offensively but I am hoping we can get back some of that nasty play angry defense. I think last year team got better as the season progressed. But I loved it in the past when the other team coaches and players would talk about how hard it was to run their offense after the games. And how physical the shocks were. If this new group can come together and play defense as a cohesive unit they too can be special. I am hoping a year under Coach M helps the core 7 players returning.
                  Thank you, I had begun to wonder if my nicknames went under the radar.

The reason I didn't mention "Wear You Out Wessel".... I'm only counting scholarship players.
                  Last edited by ShockAzs; August 27, 2019, 11:33 PM. Reason: Because half my post was lost after I posted it.

Comment

• Kung Wu
                    Kung Wu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ShockAzs, what type of device are you using to post your messages? I don't understand why you keep losing half of the message.

• WstateU
                    WstateU commented
                    Editing a comment
                    https://media.giphy.com/media/YzLIczpU0mZB6/giphy.gif

• ShockAzs
                    ShockAzs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think I figured it out. I was posting emoticons from my Android keyboard, and everything that's typed after that icon does not post.

I am using a Google Pixel 3 XL.

Originally posted by Root Angry View Post

Thank you, I had begun to wonder if my nicknames went under the radar.

The reason I didn't mention "Wear You Out Wessel".... I'm only counting scholarship players.
                  Ok. LMAO Man That really cracked me up. The legend of Wessel continues to live.

Comment

This image I made a few years ago popped up in my FB memories.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Ok. LMAO Man That really cracked me up. The legend of Wessel continues to live.
                      Haha it does indeed! He was so selfless he gave up his scholarship before he even got it.

Comment

• ShockingButTrue
                        ShockingButTrue commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ripped the ball from the high flyin' Chickens more than once when they played... Chris Webber's a fan.

Does any of the current crop have a chance to earn their way into this discussion?

From what I can tell, I'm leaning towards "not quite". But barely falling short of this list is lofty achievement by itself, and we do have a team full of MTXE defenders.
                      ​​​​​​
                      How are we going to define the greatest Shocker defenders of all time? Unanimous decision by Shockernet? Statistical leaders? The Wessel Effect?

Comment

I do like Fernandez' agressiveness in the small sample size I've seen.
                        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Etienne. Tenacious on ball defender, quick hands, smart and athletic. I we’ll see a few steal for break away dunks in his career.

Comment

Working...
                          X