Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

... of course, E. Wessel. I was wondering when someone was going to state the obvious.
    He did an amazing job on Perry Ellis during the tournament.

Comment

Clearly no one mentioning Evan Wessel on this list was watching the 2016 Valley tournament game against UNI or the 2014 game against Kentucky.

Personally, I think Fred is a little underrated and Tekele is a little overrated when we're talking about Shocker defenders. Remember, we had to switch Tekele off of Yogi Ferrell and put Fred on him against Indiana in 2015.
      Last edited by Kel Varnsen; December 27, 2019, 03:31 PM.
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I always thought Robert George was a great defensive point guard. I clearly remember guards could hardly get the ball across the time line on him. Sadly he played during the decade our team was not very good. So a lot of people might not remember him.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
          Clearly no one mentioning Evan Wessel on this list was watching the 2016 Valley tournament game against UNI or the 2014 game against Kentucky.

Personally, I think Fred is a little underrated and Tekele is a little overrated when we're talking about Shocker defenders. Remember, we had to switch Tekele off of Yogi Ferrell and put Fred on him against Indiana in 2015.
          Is it possible to overrate Tekele?
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Is it possible to overrate Tekele?
            It has been tried. So far, no one has succeeded.

Comment

Dr. Naismith might have invented the game, but Ross McBurney coined the term, "man-to-man" defense while staring at Fairmount "U" and later Wichita "U". He was our first, First Team "All-American". Wheatshocker fans would hitch their wagons or crank their Model T's and head to the house that Ross built. Memorial Gymnasium (later Henrion Hall) was always packed (SRO) to see Ross and his fellow Wheatshockers "separate the wheat from the chaff"... basically 'shuck' another opponent. Ross was crafty with the leather ball and could do it all; he would light it up from uptown, downtown and all-round or dish to Reynolds for an easy two. Unfortunately, Ross's defensive prowess has also been forgotten. His primary responsibility was to shut down the opposing teams best player and make them want to go home to their momma... and he often succeeded.
              Shocking wheat made him "country strong" and a great defensive player. RIP ROSS!

Give me one reason why Ross McBurney's jersey isn't already hanging in the rafters? If he'd have played at KU, they'd have a bronzed statue of him displayed outside the Phog... heck, there wouldn't be an Allen Field House or a Phog, there would be a McBurney Field House...

https://news.google.com/newspapers?i...sketball&hl=en

The House that Ross built

"WU gained notice outside of Wichita in 1927 when, led by First-Team All-American Ross McBurney and Second-Team All-American Harold Reynolds, the Wheatshockers finished the 1927 season with a 13–1 record..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wichit...27s_basketball
              Last edited by Kung Wu; December 31, 2019, 07:44 PM.
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Is Golden State Creamery what is now the Golden State Warriors?
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                X