In Honor of the Greatest Shocker Defenders of All Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Honor of the Greatest Shocker Defenders of All Time

The purpose of this thread is to heap praise and honor, accolades, and debate: who are the most effective, impactful Shocker defenders of all time?
    Last edited by ShockAzs; August 24, 2019, 07:38 PM.

I will go with Tulsa's Paul Pressey. No won defended the Shockers like that guy did at the tip of Tulsa's half court press.

Comment

Veritas and ShockerFever would say WuDrWu and Downtown Shocker Brown gave it a helluva try during the Butler years.

Amirite?

#threadDerailedInPostNumberThree

#butSrslyCotton
      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• WuDrWu
        WuDrWu commented
        Editing a comment
        Too soon, Fredo. #LLTB

Mods, did my original post get edited? For no reason my post is way way different than what I actually clicked "submit"

Comment

• Kung Wu
        Kung Wu commented
        Editing a comment
        Odd, I don't see that anybody edited it.

• ShockAzs
        ShockAzs commented
        Editing a comment
        Extremely odd then. I'm always making typos, but this was paragraphs of omission. I'm confused.

Could it be The Master, Fred Van Vleet, who led perhaps the greatest defensive Shocker team in history? It helps that he routinely shuts down one of the greatest shooters / scorers the game has ever seen.
      Last edited by ShockAzs; August 17, 2019, 04:53 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Or was it Redbird Wrecker, a man that speaks as soft as Cotton but will steal your soul, and definitely the basketball. Perhaps one of the greatest all around defenders I have ever seen. Also integral (possibly cornerstone) to one of the greatest Shocker defensive teams of all time.

Am I right, old timers? Maybe there's a defender of Shocker yore that could be an even better defender?
        Last edited by ShockAzs; August 17, 2019, 04:54 PM. Reason: Clarification. And of course typos

Comment

Or is it the Curl From Kansas? His all American demeanor (and he is an All American) belies his fierce competitiveness, all around stellar defense in all aspects of the game. His strength, length, and knack for good instincts puts him in this discussion.

A cornerstone to one the Shocker great defensive teams.

Comment

The Nigerian Nightmare certainly struck fear in the hearts of his teammates, let alone Shocker opponents. His rim protection is elite level, only held back by the big man's lack of court time due to too much fouling and offensive deficiencies.
            Last edited by ShockAzs; August 17, 2019, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Gene Wiley, Kelly Pete and Preston Carrington weren't too bad on the defensive end either. Check out Gene Wiley's 4 triple doubles sometime. Dave the Rave always raved about Gene's defensive prowess and how it allowed the rest of the team to take more chances on defense. I think Jason Perez and P.J. Cousinard were underrated defenders although they got the job done mostly with guile and basketball smarts.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 18, 2019, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Gene Wiley, Kelly Pete and Preston Carrington weren't too bad on the defensive end either. Check out Gene Wiley's 4 triple doubles sometime. Dave the Rave always raved about Gene's defensive prowess and how it allowed the rest of the team to take more chance on defense. I think Jason Perez and P.J. Cousinard were underrated defenders although they got the job done mostly with guile and basketball smarts.
                Gene Wiley, in addition to his basketball skills a pretty decent painter. Hope he kept on pursuing the Art.

Comment

• Overtime
                  Overtime commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have to mention Jamar Howard. Helped elevate us from bad to mediocre, instrumental in getting us to our first NIT in ages ( remember that classic home NIT game vs Florida State). It was extremely entertaining watching Jamar defend Creighton’s Kyle Korver and I have to admit, his antics, athleticism and defense were often the highlight of those teams....my penny’s worth.

Honestly, can we change the title to "In HonorI of: the Greatest Shocker Defenders of All Time"?

After thinking about it, that's closer to my intent, to have an ongoing discussion about such legendary Shocker defenders over the years.

Comment

Best recent defenders are Ben Smith, Tekele Cotton, FVV and Dexter Dennis.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    Veritas and ShockerFever would say WuDrWu and Downtown Shocker Brown gave it a helluva try during the Butler years.

Amirite?

#threadDerailedInPostNumberThree

#butSrslyCotton
                    Sorry, can’t help take the bait and spit out the hook.

I think you’ve confused Shocker defender with that of Butler defender. It was quite disgusting actually and if he had been one of any athletic department influence it could be logically argued that he hurt Shocker baseball. Thankfully he is only a Dr of self-aggrandizement who has people like DSB hoodwinked into thinking his ouija board playing, Nostradamus prognostications have any real merit. Hope I never run into him in the bathroom. I like a little elbow room when I stand at the urinal.

Now the greatest defender of Shocker basketball would need to give a nod to Terry Benton. He was on The Drive last week with Bob / Jeff Lutz. Had to look him up. Impressive

Comment

• 1979Shocker
                      1979Shocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      At East high, I had Terry in gym class and sat right behind him in Psychology class.

• Kung Wu
                      Kung Wu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Veritas, I'm glad you have a good sense of humor!

• WuDrWu
                      WuDrWu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Can someone with an advanced mathematics degree calculate how much money I've saved living rent free here?

I was quite young at the time but I really liked Terry Benton. I remember that in high school Benton (East) and Randy Canfield (Southeast) had some dust ups and were quite entertaining. Canfield was probably considered the better of the two in high school and went to KU but Benton was the by far the better of the two in College. If Benton (6'7" or 6'8") had been a couple of inches taller like Canfield (6'10") he may have had an NBA career to propel him. He was really good.

Comment

Dwayne Praylow was a damn good defender and had some really tough assignments when he was here.

Comment

Working...
                      X