Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred VanVleet (2012-16) "Future" Shocker Sports Hall of Famer

"Photos: Fred VanVleet through the years' - RR Star

Rockford native Fred VanVleet reached the pinnacle of basketball success on Thursday, June 13, 2019, helping the Toronto Raptors earn their first NBA title Here’s a look at VanVleet from his days leading the Auburn Knights in Rockford to Wichita State University and the NBA champion Toronto Raptors.

https://www.rrstar.com/photogallery/IR/20190614/NEWS/614009998/PH/1

[1/50]

Rockford native Fred VanVleet, left, shoots a three-pointer on Thursday, June 13, 2019, during Game 6 of the NBA Finals. At right, VanVleet drives against Glenbard East in the first quarter Tuesday, March 15, 2011, during the IHSA Class 4A Super Sectional at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb. [PHOTOS BY/FRANK GUNN/THE CANADIAN PRESS VIA AP and SCOTT MORGAN/RRSTAR.COM]

WSU Sports Illustrated.jpg

[10/50]

Former Auburn standout Fred VanVleet (23) and his Wichita State teammates adorn the cover of Sports Illustrated in Feb. 2014.

Comment

Fred VanVleet had a massive impact on the 2019 NBA Finals. How important is it for the Chicago Bulls to find their own version of VanVleet?

Good article saying how the Bulls need a Freddy Buckets.

Comment

A great list of Fred anecdotes from WSU players and coaches, compiled by C.J. Moore in TheAthletic.

Here's one from Landry:

Shamet: Before my visit, I came down for a game, and we were in the locker room afterward and they had won. He played 30-some minutes because no one else on the floor at the point guard spot was playing well. I remember him asking me, “Hey, you’re a point guard, right? You can play point guard, right?”

I said, “Yeah.” And this is in front of everybody. He goes, “Well, hurry your ass up and get down here, because we need another one. I can’t do it all.”

He was calling guys out in a way. He was always respectful and everything was funny how he went about it, but he would test guys throughout the year.

Comment

• WstateU
          WstateU commented
          Editing a comment
          One word... WOW!

And here is the tweet from CJ.....

Comment

That's another AWESOME Atlantic article. Side note, I see Landry has been invited to a select USA team with Zion. I suppose to start getting ideas for the Olypmics, World games etc.....A reminder, last time you passed on Fred, how'd that work out?

Comment

• Dan
            Dan commented
            Editing a comment
            Melo Trimble looking for work?

VanVleet bobblehead speaks, gives Rockford shoutout - Rockford Register Star

Posted Jun 13, 2020 at 2:45 PM

https://www.journalstandard.com/spor...kford-shoutout

"
          Fred’s bobblehead now talks.

Rockford’s greatest basketball player Fred VanVleet gave a memorable shout-out to his hometown after an on-court interview just after winning last year’s NBA title with the Toronto Raptors. And that “Rockford! Rockford! It’s for you, baby!” TV shoutout is now captured on the latest VanVleet bobblehead produced by The National Bobblehead Hall of Fame and Museum in conjunction with VanVleet’s FVV Shop...."

Fred VanVleet - Bubblehead.JPG

Comment

Who's the best college basketball player to ever wear No. 23? https://t.co/0rprezMnl6

https://twitter.com/CBBonFOX/status/...102691328?s=19

Comment

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/fred-va...130001507.html

Comment

NBA Free Agents 2020: Best Team Fits, Predictions for Fred VanVleet, Top Guards - Bleacher Reports

BY MARTIN FENN
                JULY 14, 2020

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...eet-top-guards

"Normally, basketball fans would be buzzing about NBA free agency at this time of the year....But the coronavirus pandemic has shifted the timeline significantly. The NBA restart begins later this month in Orlando, Florida, and free agency will not arrive until October....

Fred VanVleet
                VanVleet's real breakout came during the 2019 NBA Finals.

The former Wichita State star provided the Raptors with a dependable option on the perimeter and also harassed Golden State Warriors point guard Stephen Curry up and down the floor. VanVleet's crowning achievement came in Game 6, when he poured in 22 points and hit multiple clutch jumpers late in the fourth quarter. It has been pretty much all uphill from there. VanVleet had been sensational for the Raptors prior to the suspension of play, averaging 17.6 points, 6.6 assists, 3.8 rebounds and 1.9 steals through 48 games while also shooting nearly 39 percent from beyond the arc on 7.0 attempts per game....

Best fits: Raptors, Heat, Knicks, Pistons

Prediction: VanVleet re-signs with Raptors..."

Comment

Please not the Knicks.

Comment

If Fred doesn't stay with the Raptors, the team he goes to will be improved, especially if he becomes their starter.

Comment

Honestly, I think he’s best option is to sign with the Heat. Butler, Bam, Nunn, Herro, and Robinson is an incredible core, who besides Butler, who is only 30, are all very young and under contract. They have no PG under contract after this year. The Heat are probably the 1 team you can say that plays harder than the Raptors. Fred would fit perfectly running the show.

As far as the Raptors, 3 of their 5 best players (Lowry, Gasol, and Ibaka) are all nearing the end. I LOVE the team now, but I’m a little concerned with what the team will look like 2 years from now. I don’t think a team centered around Fred and Siakam would be good enough to be a title contender. They would need at least 1 other star and it’s very difficult to convince free agents to sign in Canada, i.e. Kawhi.

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                        Honestly, I think he’s best option is to sign with the Heat. Butler, Bam, Nunn, Herro, and Robinson is an incredible core, who besides Butler, who is only 30, are all very young and under contract. They have no PG under contract after this year. The Heat are probably the 1 team you can say that plays harder than the Raptors. Fred would fit perfectly running the show.

As far as the Raptors, 3 of their 5 best players (Lowry, Gasol, and Ibaka) are all nearing the end. I LOVE the team now, but I’m a little concerned with what the team will look like 2 years from now. I don’t think a team centered around Fred and Siakam would be good enough to be a title contender. They would need at least 1 other star and it’s very difficult to convince free agents to sign in Canada, i.e. Kawhi.
                        Miami Heat are one of the fun teams to watch in the NBA - fun style of play.

Comment

I want to see him on a playoff team.

Young teams in the NBA more often than not never realize their potential, unless one of those young players is going to turn into an All NBA 1st or 2nd team... Unless that young player would be Fred!

Comment

Working...
                          X