Teddy Buckets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XManCometh View Post

The woman also reported that Teddy "battered" her, which brings a charge of domestic violence. So if true, Teddy is looking at jail time and a court case. His basketball career is probably over if that's true. At least at Wichita State.

Some of you guys are being really lenient on him just because he's a Shocker. And some of these comments blaming the woman and already calling her a liar really show some of your true colors in regards to domestic violence. I'm glad I don't know some of you in person if you're this flippant when a woman claims a man beat her.

I honestly don't want a guy on the team who can't control himself around women to the point where the cops need to be called. Something happened there at 3am and it wasn't something to just shrug off by making him run stairs for 2 hours.
    The way I interpreted the story that I saw/read on kake is that the grabbing was the “battering”. I could be wrong though.

Im not going to call her a liar unless there is proof that she is lying, however its not supporting domestic violence to be skeptical of a story because women do lie or exaggerate sometimes. They also sometimes swing you on first but the minute you touch her back she is a victim. I don’t condone that crap.

How do you know this isn’t something to shrug off? If he just grabbed her and broke her phone you think he should be kicked off of the team?

Comment

• shockerfanmas
      shockerfanmas commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. That is bad enough and can only lead to worse.

I am supposing here, so correct me if I'm wrong. But my understanding is that if the cops are called to a domestic dispute, someone is going to jail. Then any additional allegations by the complainant are added to the list of things for which the person is getting arrested. Perhaps without any evidence. I am not declaring Teddy guilty or innocent, just that in these cases, if I'm not way off base, we can't jump to any conclusions one way or another.

If he did it, he should be punished, and likely removed from the team. But if an investigation shows the situation was more of a mutual altercation (both parties equally at fault) I think there is room for forgiveness from a basketball perspective, as determined by the coaches and AD. Obviously, if there is no basis for the accusations, no harm no foul.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      Someone doesn't always go to jail. It depends on aggravating factors. If the man is drunk and/or the woman has any mark on her you can bet homeboy is going downtown. If the man is livid and the woman is scared or vice-versa the aggressive party will be going for a ride.

This will be a he said - she said and charges will be reduced to nothing unless there's a witness or physical evidence of harm.

T

...:cool:

• Shox The Revenant
      Shox The Revenant commented
      Editing a comment
      Cold is correct. I speak from experience. I was dispatched to a 'domestic dispute' countless of times in my career. Many of these incidents boiled down to the two parties in a yelling and screaming match and no one went to jail. In a situation where we have a two-party situation with no witnesses, if no visible injuries exists, then the cops cannot make an arrest. One party will claim being battered, the other party will deny this. The tie-breaker goes to whether visible injuries are found - the cops will make an arrest and let the courts handle whether guilt exists.

If it's simply a yelling and screaming match, the cops will do their very best to ask one party to volunteer to vacate the home for awhile to let cooler heads prevail. Of course, while we are out at the home, we will be 'running' a records check on both people to see if they have warrants or a PFA order and we'll just arrest that person or both to make sure the domestic situation doesn't escalate.

I remember having to deal with a couple who resided at 17th and Oliver and we'd get called out to their home 7 - 10 times a week it seemed. Each time, it was nothing more than these two acting like children yelling and screaming. Instead of acting like adults and working out their differences, they'd call the cops to deescalate the situation. It was very frustrating and irritating but you have to take each call seriously.

The woman also reported that Teddy "battered" her, which brings a charge of domestic violence. So if true, Teddy is looking at jail time and a court case. His basketball career is probably over if that's true. At least at Wichita State.

Some of you guys are being really lenient on him just because he's a Shocker. And some of these comments blaming the woman and already calling her a liar really show some of your true colors in regards to domestic violence. I'm glad I don't know some of you in person if you're this flippant when a woman claims a man beat her.

I honestly don't want a guy on the team who can't control himself around women to the point where the cops need to be called. Something happened there at 3am and it wasn't something to just shrug off by making him run stairs for 2 hours.
    Domestic battery can be very severe or very minor. Hitting, choking or using a weapon on a woman is domestic battery. That is bad stuff. Lock him in jail and throw away the key if he did that. However, in KS also blocking a person from leaving a room, grabbing a persons arm, slapping them or pushing them out of the way are also all domestic battery. That second group is not even faintly as serious as the first group. Most prosecutors wont even mess with group two, unless there are many other more serious chargers. Thanks to 24 hours news people jump to huge conclusions when stories first break, and the stories often change days later. WSU and GM will know the full story and handle it correctly. It is already sounding like this is much less serious than it first sounded like. I am not excusing his behavior. He clearly messed up to some degree. This is clearly 100% not a Lawrence Phillips "drag a girl down flights of stairs by her hair" type of serious though. Lets let it all play out before jumping to conclusions.

Comment

Let the legal process take its course. Hopefully, that will be resolved relatively quickly. Once that is done I trust that 3G will make a fair but firm decision that will mete out the appropriate amount of accountability for Teddy which may or may not involve contining as a member of the Shocker team. I'm thinking he probably will continue as a Shocker but if that happens he has to regain the confidence and respect of his coaches and teammates and it should be made clear he has no slack left on his leash and may have to work his way up from the bottom of the depth chart based on not only his play on the court but his actions off the court. He has it in him. Give him assistance where needed but ultimately boucing back from this is mostly on Teddy. The bottom line is will this be a learing experience for Teddy or not.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
        C0|dB|00ded commented
        Editing a comment
        Teddy ain't goin' nowhere.

Now... if he shows up in the news again, it's probably bye bye Mr. Buckets.

P.S. Where's his roommate, sponsor, dude that keeps Teddy outta trouble? That guy needs his ass beat.

T

Originally posted by 1989 View Post
      If he just grabbed her and broke her phone you think he should be kicked off of the team?
      We don't know anything at this point in time, but if he "grabbed her and broke her phone," yes I 100% think he should be kicked off the team.

Comment

• BOBB
        BOBB commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed

• Topshock
        Topshock commented
        Editing a comment
        You have to be kidding. It's called human interaction.. This is real life not life in the snowglobe some of you snowflakes live in.

Originally posted by Speak2me View Post

Domestic battery can be very severe or very minor. Hitting, choking or using a weapon on a woman is domestic battery. That is bad stuff. Lock him in jail and throw away the key if he did that. However, in KS also blocking a person from leaving a room, grabbing a persons arm, slapping them or pushing them out of the way are also all domestic battery. That second group is not even faintly as serious as the first group. Most prosecutors wont even mess with group two, unless there are many other more serious chargers. Thanks to 24 hours news people jump to huge conclusions when stories first break, and the stories often change days later. WSU and GM will know the full story and handle it correctly. It is already sounding like this is much less serious than it first sounded like. I am not excusing his behavior. He clearly messed up to some degree. This is clearly 100% not a Lawrence Phillips "drag a girl down flights of stairs by her hair" type of serious though. Lets let it all play out before jumping to conclusions.
      "Domestic" is a categorical classification of the offense in the way you are using it. Absent hitting, your first group describes aggravated domestic battery, which is a felony. Blocking a person from leaving a room is not domestic battery, but grabbing in an angry manner, slapping, and pushing are domestic battery if the victim has a dating or household relationship to the offender. I don't know where you get the idea that "[m]ost prosecutors won't even mess with" that second group of offenses, because there are entire divisions of the bigger prosecutors' offices devoted to doing just that. The idea being that you intervene and put a stop to the things from your second group, so they don't progress to being things from your first group.

But yes, by definition the second group of offenses is less severe than the first. But if you're having to go down the "it could have been worse" road, the argument is on shaky ground. Aggravated battery is also less severe than murder, but that doesn't mean aggravated battery is acceptable. We have no idea what this case involves, and he could be completely innocent for all we know. I am just pointing out that the "well, it's not THAT bad" kind of passive acceptance sends you on the short road to becoming...KU.

Comment

• shockerfanmas
        shockerfanmas commented
        Editing a comment
        Well said. DV is DV, no matter how minor it is. If a person does it once, there's a good chance of the person doing it again. Sadly, in most cases, I feel like the entire, true story never comes out

• wufan
        wufan commented
        Editing a comment
        I disagree that if a person Brake’s the law they are likely to do it again. I think the data says that they are MORE likely to do it again than someone who has never had an offense. That is to say, that they are a higher percentage, but most are still one time offenders.

Perhaps you have a study that says otherwise?

Domestic violence is domestic violence. There's no place for it in this world. If it comes out that he pushed her, slapped her, face palmed her, or merely just grabbed her arm, I don't care what it is, he needs to be gone. Even if all he did was break her phone, that tells me he has anger issues. Just no place for it in this world

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
        C0|dB|00ded commented
        Editing a comment
        Every player on our team has anger issues. Or at least I hope they do...

Fred was probably the angriest I have seen.

T

• wufan
        wufan commented
        Editing a comment
        I disagree with this sentiment, and I’m not taking it lightly. There are certain instances listed above where I think she should be kicked off, and others where I don’t. Just for instance, let’s say she had her phone in her hand and slapped at him and he tried to block it. The phone is broken in the process and she calls the cops. That wouldn’t be an anger issue on his part.

Suspend him until the judicial proceedings are concluded. If there is a continuance motion from the defense attorney or he is found guilty, immediately kick his ass to the curb.

“Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• pinstripers
        pinstripers commented
        Editing a comment
        THIS

• IndianaShocker
        IndianaShocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Why should a continuance motion result in "kicking his ass to the curb"?

Who was blaming the woman and calling her a liar? Nobody. Wanting people to have due process - one of the cornerstones of Western Civilization, doesn't mean people are blaming her or calling her a liar. While standing up on a soapbox and playing the role of white knight is en vogue, especially in the age of "me too" hysteria, some of us recognize that people of BOTH sexes are capable of evil and wrongdoing. Yes there are men that do bad things, and they should be held accountable but women can do the same.

You may have heard of Brian Banks? Had a scholarship to play football for USC until his girlfriend falsely accused him of rape. He was convicted and served 5 years until he was exonerated after she confessed to fabricating the whole thing. This guy's life was ruined and stripped of what may have been a pretty fruitful NCAA and NFL career.

If the legal process plays out and Teddy is guilty he should pay the price, but don't you think he's entitled to due process and should not be punished if the facts reveal that he is innocent?

Comment

Some of you are ridiculous to think that a grab should get just as harsh of a punishment as a punch or a slap.
        Last edited by 1989; June 14, 2019, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• jdshock
          jdshock commented
          Editing a comment
          To be clear, I don't think anyone is saying they should get "just as harsh of a punishment." But at some point in time, from WSU basketball's perspective, the maximum punishment is kicking him off the team regardless of whatever else occurs, right?

As an analogy, if you are the spokesperson for Wichita State, your public perception is a pretty important part of your job. If you are caught stumbling around downtown drunk and talking about how crappy WSU is, you're probably going to get fired. Alternatively, if you murder someone, you're also going to get fired. It's not that we think stumbling around drunk should have "just as harsh of a punishment" as murder, it's just that we don't have anything more harsh that we can do.

So, if you think grabbing and breaking a phone should not be met with being kicked off the team, that's fine. But don't make the argument about whether we think they should be punished the at the same level of harshness.

1989 commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you read the thread? There are people in this thread saying that he should get the same punishment regardless of severity. One dude even said kick him off the team even if all he did was break the cell phone.

The maximum punishment is kicking off the team and to think that maximum punishment should happen regardless of severity is ridiculous. And btw, in your analogy I don’t think he would get fired for the first thing if he was good at his job.

I want to be careful here. I want to certainly see what the legal process discovers. I do know this however...

1. Nothing good generally happens after midnight...unless my lady is in the mood.

2. Teddy just saw one of the classiest Shockers ever win an NBA championship, which should have motivated him to hit the sack, have dreams of eventually hoisting a trophy of his own, and know that when his feet hit the floor the next morning he is going to work to earn his way to get that trophy.

Comment

I’m sure 3G would prefer recruiting guys that like to work out, go to school and go to bed. We all knew going in that Teddy isn’t that kind of guy. This doesn’t really surprise me, but it’s disappointing considering how close he was to suiting back up.

Comment

I'm seeing a lot of talk that Teddy was arrested for domestic violence. In the interest of accuracy, it should be understood that there are just two counts on the booking sheet: Criminal damage to property (the cell phone); and theft of property (the keys).

Yes, battery was alleged (the grab) -- but WPD has not charged him with battery, and now WSU is saying they believe the charges will be downgraded.

As others have said: Let this play out.

“The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Doesn't look like they are charging him with battery. https://twitter.com/kansaslily/statu...535088128?s=21

Comment

• DUShock
                DUShock commented
                Editing a comment
                The original story from ICT media was that he was arrested for domestic violence. As I said earlier, let the judicial process play out, and keep him on a short leash until this plays out.

This transgression ranks below the former Jayhawker as far as severity goes. Give him his strike and punishment and move on.

Comment

Working...
              X