Booster Issues and Social Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
    I didn't ReTweet Oshon when he tweeted me, or reply back simply because I do not know my status to relating to being a booster or not. I really wish I got a response from the Athletic Department when I emailed them about what I would be classified as.

I do not want Oshon to think I am giving him the cold shoulder, but at the same time I'm taking the safe road by not replying back as I do not know the ramifications of talking to him based on my unknown status at this time.
    If anyone who has ever bought a ticket to a Wichita State athletic event can be classified as a "booster," then the operator of two of the two prominent websites devoted to Wichita State athletics can certainly be classified as a booster.
    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl View Post
      If anyone who has ever bought a ticket to a Wichita State athletic event can be classified as a "booster," then the operator of two of the two prominent websites devoted to Wichita State athletics can certainly be classified as a booster.
      I'm hoping that since I own these 2 websites, I can somehow be exempt from a booster status and be classified as media. I do think that is a long shot though. And thus I stay quiet on Twitter when a recruit tweets me.

I did hear back from someone at the AD today regarding my questions. I sent a follow up email. We'll see.
      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

I've seen numerous independent, run-by-fans websites that interview unsigned recruits all the time. There is clearly an exception in there somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          I've seen numerous independent, run-by-fans websites that interview unsigned recruits all the time. There is clearly an exception in there somewhere.
          See for instance http://www.nationofblue.com/ the Kentucky fan site that repeatedly interviewed Perry Ellis.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

You also give the benefit of the doubt that those sites are ran by college graduates... ;)
            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              I had the same thought but was to lazy to find an example like @The Mad Hatter: did. It will be interesting on what the AD department says. I bet they say no, even though I think it's probably OK since it's being done by others and nobody is complaining or getting in trouble.
              In the fast lane

Comment

Based on the sites run by @_kai_: he would almost definitely fall into the media category and wouldn't have any issues talking to or interviewing recruits. Responding to a question also wouldn't be an issue.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Several years ago, I looked into the matter and was surprised at how broad the definition of "booster" was. I didn't search very long today, but perhaps this might shed some light on some of the open questions:

Comment

I think if you drive south-bound down Hillside and turn your head more than 5 degrees to the left, the NCAA considers you a booster.

Comment

Sooo... Season ticket holders are boosters. Are their children?
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                        Sooo... Season ticket holders are boosters. Are their children?
                        The children are not boosters but do sit in BOOSTER chairs. Sometimes its just too easy.

Comment

Didnt Kai interview and speak with Fonda Ellis? I know that its not the recruit itself, but isn't that close enough? "boosters" surely cannot be talking to their parents if they cant talk to the actual kid can they?

Comment

Pretty sure with the sites Kai runs that he could easily be labled as media and then the booster rule doesn't apply here.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                              The children are not boosters but do sit in BOOSTER chairs. Sometimes its just too easy.
                              Hahaha
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                              X