No announcement yet.

Penny's Memphis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My fear has been that Memphis, Houston, Connecticut, and Cincy can more often than not dominate the league due to bigger recruiting bases and their respective histories...a team like WSU getting to occasionally play the spoiler role. I can't feel too good about these teams upbeat prospects and super recruiting news. It won't be a good thing if WSU is usually stuck in the second tier of the AAC.

Comment

Originally posted by N Crestway View Post
    My fear has been that Memphis, Houston, Connecticut, and Cincy can more often than not dominate the league due to bigger recruiting bases and their respective histories...a team like WSU getting to occasionally play the spoiler role. I can't feel too good about these teams upbeat prospects and super recruiting news. It won't be a good thing if WSU is usually stuck in the second tier of the AAC.
    This isn’t going to be a problem as long as HCGM is around. Competing against those teams will raise our profile so long as we win our share.

Temple will be interesting with their coaching change.
    Livin the dream

Comment

A team like WSU? Would you mind explaining what "a team like WSU" is?

Houston's history? You mean Phi Slamma Jamma? Because, until last year, that was pretty much their entire history.

WSU has been pretty consistently rated in the top 25 for quite a few years until last year. If that's going to make WSU a second tier team in the AAC, then it seems the AAC will have 6 or so top-20 teams.

Spoken like a true blue KU fan following "a team like WSU" just to prove to yourself how vastly inferior they are to the teams that actually play basketball. Those teams that can go out and successfully recruit players like Silvio DiSousa and Billy Preston. You know, those high-quality players that would never even look at "a team like" WSU.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice260 View Post
        Also, an interesting side note, Memphis' AD just up and resigned today. That seems to be a little unusual considering their football has been decent and their basketball is on the upswing. Not starting any rumors... just thought it was interesting.
        From what I am seeing on the 247 board, he wasn't well liked by the fans and butted heads with the President several times. He was not in favor of firing Tubby Smith, but the screaming fans and President wanted him gone. He was only given a 6 month extension in February. I'm not sure this is a voluntary action. He didn't appear to be close to Fred Smith (FedEX) either.

Comment

Maybe you should tell Gregg to go back to the Valley.

WSU has the league’s 3rd best recruiting class FYI. And the best coach.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Blah blah blah. Same old chicken hawk bulshit mentality. Poor WSU will just not be able to compete. Rockchauk.

Comment

Your fear is misplaced, my feathered friend.
              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Coach Turgeon....is that you?

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                  WSUwatcher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The only thing he forgot was a team "at (WSU's) level." Needless to say, Marshall is NOT thinking along the same lines.

Not so fast my Chicken-feathered Eastsider.

You've seen intimately, with the right personnel, what GGG can do against a team with 5* guys. And I'm not referring to just the Chickens either.

Give GGG the right combination of "hustle & muscle" (he got it), led by the right kind of team leader, i.e., point guard (that too), and he's gonna' whoop 'ya. Where have you been? Oh wait...

Comment

I understand all of you giving N Crestway a hard time, but he is right, like it or not.

They are in larger metro areas, bigger recruiting bases, AND have football teams. Those 4 teams in particular, within the AAC, have aspirations (or at least their fans do) and the best chance of being in a P5 conference. While our goal was to get out of the MVC and into the AAC (or Big East, MWC, and some considered the A-10), those 4 schools want to stay on top of the AAC in both basketball and football to be in a solid position if a P5 comes knocking.

PS: UConn is taking a huge hit with their football program right now.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                    WSUwatcher commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Disagree, ST. Yes, they're in larger cities with bigger recruiting bases.

But so was Ohio State the Final Four year; so were (the very same) Memphis and Seton Hall when the Shocks beat them during the regular season two years later, and I don't really need to compare the basketball recruiting bases of Indiana and (oops) the Chickenhawks to WSU's, do I? Nor are any high end basketball recruits going to Connecticut -- or IU and KU, for that matter -- because of their football programs.

So maybe some fans of the four schools mentioned aspire to move up to a so-called Power 5 conference -- but WSU isn't going to be limited by other fans' aspirations as long as 3G is on the case. Very Turgeonesque.

UConn is in the sticks. It may be kinda close to Hartford but it's also competing with a lot of other big time east coast schools. I've been on that campus and it's nothing to write home about.
                  Houston gets a few local kids and there is a lot of talent in Houston, but a lot of those kids want to go to A&M or UT. Houston is on the upswing due to it's current coach and should be good for a while, but I would not put them head and shoulders above WSU.
                  Cincy and Memphis should always be contenders in this league, as well as WSU. The best part of all this is that we don't have to win the league every year to make a run at a national championship. We will be fine and will likely get even better as the league prospers with more talent across the board.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                    I understand all of you giving N Crestway a hard time, but he is right, like it or not.

They are in larger metro areas, bigger recruiting bases, AND have football teams. Those 4 teams in particular, within the AAC, have aspirations (or at least their fans do) and the best chance of being in a P5 conference. While our goal was to get out of the MVC and into the AAC (or Big East, MWC, and some considered the A-10), those 4 schools want to stay on top of the AAC in both basketball and football to be in a solid position if a P5 comes knocking.

PS: UConn is taking a huge hit with their football program right now.
                    Spouting his opinion doesn't make him "right."

Bigger recruiting bases (closer to NYC?) possibly. But GGG has covered wide ground for his latest "stable" of recruits remember. Heck, one NYC are recruit who played here in Wichita and was pretty good (and might be playing in the NBA) is leaving and another one is coming in. GGG can reach all the way to that base too. That's objective...

Because our distinguished Chicken doesn't "feel too good" about these (those) team's (recruiting) prospects is his opinion. I feel pretty good about ours. So who's right? Being "stuck" in the second tier is an educated observation that makes him "right?" Was finishing 1st last year with an MVC list of recruits just an anomaly?

Comment

• ShockTalk
                      ShockTalk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Spouting opinion doesn't make one right or wrong.

I believe that most of us know we have someone special as head coach and that this should not be confused with comparing other factors that give one school an advantage over another. We do have shortcomings, just as any school. Some are more pronounced, some are not. Some are more important, some are not. For us, having HCGM counters, or at least reduces, the importance of some other factors.

Our "in attendance" fan base is another advantage for us. That's why it is so important to keep our house as full as possible.

• ShockingButTrue
                      ShockingButTrue commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed.

But his original post reeked of big-timin' it, which no one around here, or anyone else, cares to have to address. But if addressing it need be (and really probably doesn't), we have some ammo' to do so.

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing Marshall go toe to toe against top tier programs in January and February, in the heart of the season, as opposed to only getting our shots on neutral courts in November and March. I don't fear in conference foes being too good, or being a tier above us.

If not for a diastrous offseason of departures last year and throwing young pups into the pool and forcing them to swim, we would have done just fine, IMO.

Eg, had we had Shamet and Reaves last year, we would have danced. Shamet alone would have probably raised our level to bubble status.
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I simply do not understand the thinking that WSU is incapable of recruiting the same caliber player as the top teams in the conference. It ignores the reputation of HCGM and staff, ignores the current reputation of the program, and it frankly ignores the history of WSU--which during the tenures of quality coaches always recruited with the best of 'em (Xavier McDaniel says hi).
                      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Hypothetically, let’s say we can’t do better than 4th from here on out in the AAC. The only thing I care about is a shot at the natty. Which we will have a chance at every single time we deserve it. We aren’t going to have to rely on a weekend in St. Louis when we’re a top 15 in the country ever again.

Comment

• ShockingButTrue
                        ShockingButTrue commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Agreed. A top 3 finish (if not 4) covers all of that.
                    Working...
                    X