2019-2020 Roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuShocker2006 View Post

That's actually not correct. On the Drive, Bob Lutz called him a 2 guard, and Sherfield corrected him. Marshall has also gone on record saying that TE is more of a 2, Sherfield was more of a 1 and NF was a pure 1.
    yep

Comment

• Considering the futility during Fred's injury, Landry being forced to play the point when he's a natural 2 and turning over the position to two newbies last year, we should take a little comfort in having 3 guys fighting for the point guard position. Yes, two of them are newbies, but highly rated newbies. Depth at point has been sorely lacking.
      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Dan
        Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        yep, you can tell 3G is determined to not let his team ever go without a real PG again, lesson learned.

• Kinda bummed to see Wade at 6'6" and Gordon at 6'7"

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        Kinda bummed to see Wade at 6'6" and Gordon at 6'7"
        Yeap. Me too. But they say they both can jump pretty well. Still I would be less concerned about the height if they both had a little more muscle and weight. There is no question the AAC is a tough physical league for inside players. Claudiis Johnson at 6 6 with his muscle at 240 pounds would have been right at home. I guess we got to wait to see how it plays out.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          Wish they would list the player's reach and wingspan on the roster. That would be interesting to know IMO.

• WSUwatcher
          WSUwatcher commented
          Editing a comment
          Good point, 1972 -- Sometimes 6-6 can play taller just because of length. We also saw that with Baker, whose long wingspan served him very well.

• Learn how to measure our standing reach or calculate your estimated standing reach based on your height. Find out why the standing reach is so important.

Often times NBA players are described as “undersized” or “out of position.” Analysts see these players as smaller than the average player at their position, and therefore at a disadvantage. However, this classification of players has a serious shortcoming. When it comes to playing basketball, the actual height of a player is not as important as one might think. Far more important are their standing reach and wingspan!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          https://www.thehoopsgeek.com/standing-reach/

Often times NBA players are described as “undersized” or “out of position.” Analysts see these players as smaller than the average player at their position, and therefore at a disadvantage. However, this classification of players has a serious shortcoming. When it comes to playing basketball, the actual height of a player is not as important as one might think. Far more important are their standing reach and wingspan!
          Thanks. That was a good read.

Comment

Kawhi Leonard is 6’7” ... right now he could play the 5 in the NCAA and be a first team All-American. Don’t discount what big hands, a rebounding mentality, and swag can do for a ball player.

Comment

• We got old fast!

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
              Did Sherfield really choose 52 or is that a typo lol

Comment

• Shockm
                Shockm commented
                Editing a comment
                And sized for a 6’9ish 240 lb. big man.

• WSUwatcher
                WSUwatcher commented
                Editing a comment
                Didn't Warren Armstrong wear 52? You don't have to be big, just play big.

• Shocker1976
                Shocker1976 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes #52 was worn by Warren Armstrong/Jabali

• The 5 is wrapped up with Jaime and Asbjorn...one of the sophomores will get mop up and injury minutes.

We are deep with guards. The 1/2 will be filled by some combination of Jamarius, Erik, Tyson, Grant, and Noah. Likely two freshman will join two sophomores on taking 95% of the minutes.

The forward is a little different. Dexter starts at the 3. There will be 50+ minutes still available for forwards from newcomers or sophomores moved out of their primary position. Who will back up DD and who gets the minutes at the 4? Candidates that are newcomer 3/4s are:

6-6, 209 lb junior Trey Wade
              6-7, 200 lb freshman Deantoni Gordon
              6-10, 235 lb Freshman Josephat Bilau

Others to consider:

6-3, 210 lb sophomore Erik Stevenson
              6-4, 208 lb sophomore Jamarius Burton
              6-9, 265 lb sophomore Isaiah Poor Bear Chandler

I think a combination of Burton and Wade take the few remaining minutes at the tree depending on if we play three guard or three forward line-ups.

I think Wade starts at the 4, and plays 20+ mpg at that position. I’m really curious if Bilau or Gordon can play more than spot minutes at the 4, or if Dennis slides down to back up the 4 leaving minutes for Stevenson and Burton at the 3 and forcing HCGM to rely heavily on our talented freshman guards again.

Livin the dream

Comment

• "I think Wade starts at the 4, and plays 20+ mpg at that position. I’m really curious if Bilau or Gordon can play more than spot minutes at the 4, or if Dennis slides down to back up the 4 leaving minutes for Stevenson and Burton at the 3 and forcing HCGM to rely heavily on our talented freshman guards again. "

This is exactly the way I see it

Comment

• Shockm
                  Shockm commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This seems most likely to me. An addition is that Kerry in his plan for PB Chandler said that he was going to try to take some weight off (250 iirc) and increase his athleticsm and quickness. If this can happen, maybe he is trying to get another opportunity to play the 4 so he would go into the basket of possible minutes with Bileau or Gordon. I think more likely that Stevenson/Burton get minutes at the 3, freeing up Dennis to back up the 4.

X -man did OK at 6'7".

Comment

• According to the article in the eagle ,Warren Armstrong Jaballi wore number 42. I still don't understand why his jersey is not retired. His accomplishments at WSU and in the Pros should be more than enough. It's like it's a secret as to who number is retired at WSU and nobody at WSU has the courage to say what the criteria is. What is the criteria? Who makes the decision? The lack of transperency on this issue by the WSU athletic department is disgraceful and dishonest. Go shocks.

Comment

• wufan
                    wufan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    All of the retired jerseys have been some level of AA while at WSU.

• WstateU
                    WstateU commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Add Ross McBurney to the list; he should have been the first in the rafters; I’ve lobbied on his behalf for over 50 years. He’s the first ‘slam dunk’ candidate. Him and Warren are a couple of wrongs that need righted. The student section should have ‘fatheads’ of both these guys and pass around a petition. I could say much more, but the beer is talking. :)

P.S. Beer is good and people are crazy.

• shoxlax
                    shoxlax commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The reputation of Jabali was that he was a racist, had made racist comments, and some of those couldn’t be undone. Many of those comments were post WSU playing days and some directed towards the university. I don’t have any idea what is fact and what is fiction but I think therein lies the conflict and one of the reasons he was not considered for greater honors here.

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
                  According to the article in the eagle ,Warren Armstrong Jaballi wore number 42. I still don't understand why his jersey is not retired. His accomplishments at WSU and in the Pros should be more than enough. It's like it's a secret as to who number is retired at WSU and nobody at WSU has the courage to say what the criteria is. What is the criteria? Who makes the decision? The lack of transperency on this issue by the WSU athletic department is disgraceful and dishonest. Go shocks.
                  My avatar is a picture of Warren; he is wearing #52!

Comment

• As I recall, it was not well-received when he changed his name to a (gasp) "Muslim" name. He also made some comments that were not well-received by the coaching staff or the athletic department. It seems he did not have a good relationship with the coaching staff - and Gary Thompson in particular.

After he graduated, he wanted nothing to do with WSU, and WSU wanted nothing to do with him. It seems neither side ever got over that.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                    X