• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019-20 National Rankings

Loaded Michigan State leads Way-Too-Early Top 25 for 2019-20 - ESPN

Jeff Borzello, ESPN Staff Writer
    Posted: 04/09/19, 10:50 PM CT

"The 2018-19 college basketball season officially ended Monday, with Virginia beating Texas Tech 85-77 in overtime. That means it's already time to look ahead to next season.

Things will change, of course. There are NBA draft decisions to be made, players waiting to enter the transfer portal, high school players still unsigned. There is also the second federal trial on college basketball corruption beginning later this month, and that could bring college coaches or players into the headlines.

But we can talk about all that as the off-season progresses. For now, let's get to the early 2019-20 rankings....

20. Houston Cougars
    At this point, we should give Kelvin Sampson the benefit of the doubt and assume that he is going to figure it out. After 60 wins in two seasons, he deserves that kind of credit. There are some key losses: top scorer Corey Davis Jr. and starters Galen Robinson and Breaon Brady. But Dejon Jarreau and Nate Hinton, who both came off the bench this season, might be the two most talented players on the team and should feature in bigger roles. Perimeter shooter Armoni Brooks is also back. Towson transfer Justin Gorham should help up front....

24. Memphis Tigers
    One of the most intriguing teams in the country next season will be Penny Hardaway's Tigers. They lose four starters from a team that finished fifth in the AAC yet will have some hype heading into the year. No. 1 recruit James Wiseman is the prime candidate. He spurned Kentucky to stay home and play for Hardaway. Five-star forward DJ Jeffries is also entering the fold, and Hardaway has the Tigers in the mix for remaining ESPN 100 prospects Trendon Watford, Lester Quinones and Precious Achiuwa. There's a lot to play out here...."

Here is Vegas and their take on the 2019-20 season:

Houston Cougars | 2018-19 record: 33-4 | 2020 national title odds: 40/1
    Cincinnati Bearcats | 2018-19 record: 28-7 | 2020 national title odds: 100/1
    UConn Huskies | 2018-19 record: 16-17 | 2020 national title odds: 100/1
    Memphis Tigers | 2018-19 record: 22-14 | 2020 national title odds: 200/1
    Wichita State Shockers | 2018-19 record: 22-15 | 2020 national title odds: 500/1
    Temple Owls | 2018-19 record: 23-10 | 2020 national title odds: 1000/1
    UCF Knights | 2018-19 record: 24-9 | 2020 national title odds: 1000/1
    East Carolina Pirates | 2018-19 record: 10-21 | 2020 national title odds: Not listed
    South Florida Bulls | 2018-19 record: 24-14 | 2020 national title odds: Not listed
    SMU Mustangs | 2018-19 record: 15-17 | 2020 national title odds: Not listed
    Tulane Green Wave | 2018-19 record: 4-27 | 2020 national title odds: Not listed
    Tulsa Golden Hurricane | 2018-19 record: 18-14 | 2020 national title odds: Not listed

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
      https://247sports.com/LongFormArticl...5/#131016025_2

Here is Vegas and their take on the 2019-20 season:

Houston Cougars | 2018-19 record: 33-4 | 2020 national title odds: 40/1
      Cincinnati Bearcats | 2018-19 record: 28-7 | 2020 national title odds: 100/1
      UConn Huskies | 2018-19 record: 16-17 | 2020 national title odds: 100/1
      Memphis Tigers | 2018-19 record: 22-14 | 2020 national title odds: 200/1
      Wichita State Shockers | 2018-19 record: 22-15 | 2020 national title odds: 500/1
      Temple Owls | 2018-19 record: 23-10 | 2020 national title odds: 1000/1
      UCF Knights | 2018-19 record: 24-9 | 2020 national title odds: 1000/1
      East Carolina Pirates | 2018-19 record: 10-21 | 2020 national title odds: Not listed
      South Florida Bulls | 2018-19 record: 24-14 | 2020 national title odds: Not listed
      SMU Mustangs | 2018-19 record: 15-17 | 2020 national title odds: Not listed
      Tulane Green Wave | 2018-19 record: 4-27 | 2020 national title odds: Not listed
      Tulsa Golden Hurricane | 2018-19 record: 18-14 | 2020 national title odds: Not listed
      What up with the UCONN numbers? Uhhhhh.

And they clearly are underestimating Teddy Buckets. Ha!

Comment

• molly jabali
        molly jabali commented
        Editing a comment
        What makes UCONN a better recruiting spot than WSU???

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably a couple of recent National Titles? Former Big East team? Players' perceived comfort zone on location? Those are my guesses. Kids don't always have the "best" reasons on their choice of schools to consider. Beyond that, you may have to ask the WSU coaching staff.

• Dan
        Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        I would say just being one of the best basketball schools in the northeast, proximity to major basketball talent.

"2019-20 college basketball rankings: Why Memphis is jumping into the top five of the early Top 25 And 1" - CBS Sports

by Gary Parrish
      May 1, 2019

If Penny Hardaway lands the recruits the experts think he will, watch out for the Tigers...

",,,Combine that fact with the fact that the Crystal Ball predictions also have Memphis as the favorite to land 5-star forward Precious Achiuwa, and 4-star guard Lester Quinones, and Penny Hardaway's Tigers are now projected to have a seven-player class featuring six top-100 recruits — among them the prospects ranked No. 1 (James Wiseman), No. 7 (RJ Hampton) and No. 14 (Precious Achiuwa) in the Class of 2019. If it goes down that way, Memphis would have the nation's top-ranked recruiting class and be the lone program with three players projected to go in the top 10 of the 2020 NBA Draft, according to Jonathan Givony's latest mock draft at ESPN. So, for those reasons and more, the Tigers are now No. 5 in the Top 25 And 1 — behind Michigan State, Duke, Kentucky and Louisville.9 at 12:27 pm ET.

#5 Memphis
      Coach: Penny Hardaway
      2018-19 record: 22-14
      Notable players definitely gone: Jeremiah Martin, Kyvon Davenport, Kareem Brewton, Raynere Thornton, Mike Parks, Antwann Jones
      Other expected departures: Victor Enoh
      Notable players expected to return: Tyler Harris, Isaiah Maurice, Alex Lomax
      Expected additions: James Wiseman, RJ Hampton, Precious Achiuwa, D.J. Jeffries, Lester Quinones, Malcolm Dandridge, Damion Baugh, Lance Thomas, Ryan Boyce

#18 Houston
      Coach: Kelvin Sampson
      2018-19 record: 33-4
      Notable players definitely gone: Corey Davis, Breaon Brady, Galen Robinson
      Other expected departures: N/A
      Notable players expected to return: Dejon Jarreau, Cedrick Alley, Armoni Brooks, Brison Gresham, Fabian White, Chris Harris, Nate Hinton
      Expected additions: Caleb Mills, Justin Gorham

#20 VCU
      Coach: Mike Rhoades
      2018-19 record: 25-8
      Notable players definitely gone: Michael Gilmore
      Other expected departures: N/A
      Notable players expected to return: Marcus Evans, Isaac Vann, Deriante Jenkins, Marcus Santos-Silva, Sean Mobley, Vince Williams, Mike'L Simms, P.J. Byrd, Malik Crowfield
      Expected additions: Jarren McAlister

Comment

A big reason UConn has an advantage is that over 70 million people live within 400 miles

Comment

• Kung Wu
          Kung Wu commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting!

"UNC a big mover in Way-Too-Early Top 25 for 2019-20" - ESPN

Jeff Borzello, ESPN Staff Writer
        May 1, 2019, 7:00am cst

North Carolina secured the services of Cole Anthony, and makes a big move up the college basketball preseason rankings for 2019-20.

"...18. Memphis Tigers (Previous: 24)
        Memphis moved up a few spots from the initial early rankings, and the Tigers could move up even more based on a few remaining decisions. They're in the mix for uncommitted five-stars RJ Hampton, Precious Achiuwa and Trendon Watford, as well as ESPN 100 guard Lester Quinones and a number of transfers. This is on top of the highly touted recruiting class Penny Hardaway is bringing in, led by No. 1 prospect James Wiseman and five-star forward D.J. Jeffries. We're expecting Hardaway to land at least one or two of his final targets, making a top-20 ranking very realistic.

19. Houston Cougars (Previous: 20)
        At this point, we should give Kelvin Sampson the benefit of the doubt and assume he is going to figure it out. After 60 wins in two seasons, he deserves that kind of credit. There are some key losses: top scorer Corey Davis Jr. and fellow starters Galen Robinson and Breaon Brady. But Dejon Jarreau and Nate Hinton, who both came off the bench last season, might be the two most talented players on the team and should feature in bigger roles. Perimeter shooter Armoni Brooks is also back. Towson transfer Justin Gorham should help up front...."

Comment

A little surprised to not see us in that way too early Top-25. I mean we do have four new 4-Stars coming in to go along with a pretty damn good finish to last season. Oh and let's not forget about a Big-12 transfer and of course one Gregg Marshall. I mean if that article is gonna say "we should give Kelvin Sampson the benefit of the doubt".....ummm... perhaps Gregg Marshall should get that as well???
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Sorry but I can't figure out why KU is in there.
            I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• N Crestway
              N Crestway commented
              Editing a comment
              The assumption is that everything falls into place for Kansas. Players that they don't even have yet decide to come to KU to play next fall. Rumor mill is rife regarding Kansas at this point.

I would love to have a top 5 dragon to slay in conference this year.

No wait, on 2nd thought, I wish we could beat up on Bradley and Drake twice.
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Aargh
              Aargh commented
              Editing a comment
              You're just giving Tornado troll bait on the Bradley board.

Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
            Sorry but I can't figure out why KU is in there.
            Because they're the greatest preseason basketball program in the history of the NCAA. Always have been.
            “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

We may not be there pre season but I have a feeling we’ll be ranked at some point next year.

Hey, it’s the off season. Plus I’m excited about the incoming players and the returners. Seems like a great mix to me but we shall soon find out!

Comment

For now I like flying under the radar

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post

Because they're the greatest preseason basketball program in the history of the NCAA. Always have been.
                  Got to admit that I'm getting really sick of going to the Phog Net...bi polar in terms of negativism and optimism, and maybe its the optimism that is getting to me.
                  WSU fans can feel confident because the program has a solid recruiting class in tow and a sophomore heavy bunch of veterans returning...and there is probably a better, if not saner, couple of years going forward for WSU than what KU is facing.

Comment

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2019 115, 116 Our two recruits........
                    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

One went up 6 slots, the other down six slots.
                      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                      ---------------------------------------
                      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                      X